VW Emissions Scandal Thread V2

Outofthi5world

If by any chance they are though, the UK Government might have to then get on with dealing with the Pollution from Road Vehicles in the British Isles, and what is acceptable from Manufacturers, and what Testing they want and what annual testing.

That is rather than using being part of the EU as an excuse to keep putting off tighter controls and taking action on high polluters,

and starting with Government Owned or financed vehicles, Local Authority owned or leased, Utility Companies Vehicles, 

Public Transport etc.

Then those getting benefits from HMRC using UK Tax Payers money, while actually ignoring the real emissions and going on EU Test Figures 

which have been wrong for decades.

Over-population in UK a problem?    Buy a diesel. Job done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lethal legacy of dash for diesel: Air pollution is 'killing 40,000 a year in the UK' 

• Diesel cars fuel a health crisis that kills 40,000 people a year in the UK
  • Emissions linked to asthma, heart disease, cancer, diabetes and dementia
  • Ownership of diesel cars has more than trebled in the past 15 years

Toxins emitted by Britain’s booming number of diesel cars are fuelling a health crisis that kills 40,000 people a year, a landmark report warns today.

Ownership of diesel cars has more than trebled in the past 15 years – driven by misguided government tax incentives that identified diesel as a ‘green’ fuel.

Today’s report by the Royal College of Physicians and the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health warns that the health impact of Britain’s air pollution is greater than previously thought.

It calculates that 40,000 people in Britain die early each year because of outdoor air pollution, a significant increase on the previous estimate of 29,000.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3459430/Lethal-legacy-dash-diesel-Air-pollution-killing-40-000-year-UK.html

Edited by lol-lol

Since this analysis is linked from the Daily Mail it is hardly surprising that it is misleading.

There is now good awareness of the risks from badly maintained gas appliances, radioactive radon gas and second-hand tobacco smoke, but indoors we can also be exposed to NO2 [nitrogen dioxide] from gas cooking and solvents that slowly seep from plastics, paints and furnishings. The lemon-and-pine scents that we use to make our homes smell fresh can react chemically to generate air pollutants, and ozone-based air fresheners can also cause indoor air pollution. [BBC LINK]

It has been suggested that diesel engines are responsible for a mere 20,000 deaths a year in the UK. The caring British Government and motor manufacturers have knowingly allowed this situation to develop. Tax on diesel fuel should be doubled with the whole amount being spent on the NHS.

Still a number of questions remain unanswered for me - any updates appreciated - no speculation please!

1.What is the fix to be made to the 1.6 diesel?

2.What is the fix to be made to the 2.0 diesel?

3.Do affected Skoda UK owners get any compensation for the vehicle not meeting the original specification?

4.Do affected Skoda UK owners get the option of a Skoda buy back?

5.What other other actions can owners takea against Skoda if not satisfied post fix, apart from switching brands?

• Like 1

Still a number of questions remain unanswered for me - any updates appreciated - no speculation please!

2.What is the fix to be made to the 2.0 diesel?

3.Do affected Skoda UK owners get any compensation for the vehicle not meeting the original specification?

5.What other other actions can owners takea against Skoda if not satisfied post fix, apart from switching brands?

1. Software update and a flow transformer

2. Software update

3. No

4. No

5. Seek legal representation

These answers are to the best of my knowledge and backed by http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/92893/vw-emissions-scandal-recalls-compensation-is-your-car-affected-latest-news

• Like 2

2.What is the fix to be made to the 2.0 diesel?

Have you received the letter from Skoda saying your vehicle is affected?

Confused by what difference it makes that they have taken time to get things in place.

Dealerships ready to call in some cars of certain types and do the required work.

It is unlikely your vehicles will be performing better or giving any improved economy after the fix.

So until the Fix is done, be sure if you have any issues, EGR, DPF etc, or have already, then maybe hold VW responsible 

and get any money you had to pay for diagnosis and parts or labour refunded.

Hopefully the various Authorities and Motoring Journals are investigating if the Euro 5 TDI Engine Management was causing the premature 

demise of parts.

The past 3 months has given owners the opportunity to know how their vehicles MPG and performance is presently, 

and can then be aware if 'The Fix' has any detrimental affect.

Those not getting 'The Fix' until near 12 months since the Scandal Broke have even more time, and can find out how 

VW got on fixing their Fleet, the Government Vehicles, Magazine Test Cars / Vans etc.

Surely by now VW can show videos of the Fix being done, Dynos or before and after, and Fuely Evidence.

I wonder how this situation would pan out if the TTIP had been signed already ;)

With, apparently, a world emissions standard from 2017 I guess it's a moot point

Yep I can see it being written in to the text books. Did a year of my BSc on systems failures looking at Managing Complexity with cases such as the Alexander Kelland, Piper Alpha, the Humber Bridge and VW would be such a case but the axe seems slow to fall to force compulsory buy back of affected cars or an engineering fix to make car compliant.

Edited by lol-lol

Recent company statements about emissions legalities, highlight to me, the problem the VW AG's management have in talking to different audiences

1/ buyers/owners

2/ shareholders

3/ Lower Saxony

4/ emissions legislators and govt in general

It seemed somewhat arrogant to me, saying that outside of the U.S. the cheat wasn't illegal; but I suspect that was a message for the various shareholders re risk exposure.

It must be a nightmare for their PR department and media advisors.