62 Plate Value dropped by a grand..

Hyphons

I have to say I was somewhat surprised to see a 15,000 mile 63-plate S on the forecourt of a local Bristol Street Motors for £3,999 last week.

Not very encouraging if you've got one, but great if you're considering a used purchase

I have to say I was somewhat surprised to see a 15,000 mile 63-plate S on the forecourt of a local Bristol Street Motors for £3,999 last week.

Not very encouraging if you've got one, but great if you're considering a used purchase

Yeah, but nobody wants an S  :p  :D .

• Like 2

Dealers use a variety of books to check secondhand values. We used Glass's and the Black Book (CAP), but the Sales Manager would often temper these figures with what he had seen at the auctions and whether the car in question was in demand or not. In my experience in the trade, there is no book that gives you the correct figure, only a guide to a cars value (disclaimer: obviously occasionally the figure concurs with what is thought to be the correct valuation). Whilst at Bauer Millet, I witnessed the owner value several cars that weren't even in any book and using only his judgment he got it spot on virtually every time :)

Dealers use the books to get your car for as low as possible. When I was thinking of trading an Audi A4 for an M3 he was telling me my car was only worth what it said in his little book, so I took the book off him to see what it said the M3 was worth, obviously it was up for a lot more than the little book said as a non dealer trade sale hahaha.

I got a WBAC quote of £3770 last week on my 13000 mile 13 plate S . BSM must have bought that in seriously cheaply.

Edited by peter3197

Watched a sales guy in toyota dealers do a carzone.ie search for citigos to see ewhat hed give us when we were thinking of chopping swmbo's for a furby sorta size car...

kept the go in the end as yhe only half decent offer was against a 209 which i hated and (thankfully as she liked it..) crippled swmbo's shoulder with the awful gearbox while on an extended test drive

Why would anyone use WBAC, or similar...

Unless you're planning to emigrate in the next fortnight and need a quick sale?

I used them on my Octavia mk2FL. Got the same as I was offer by people privately without having to leave my colubus sat nav and other options on it (so sold them separately. Plus I didn't have to "do x work to secure sale" unlike I would have with private buyers.

So in my case I actually got more than private offers (including ones from Briskoda members)

Don't get me wrong in some cases it doesn't work out well.

Went into our local dealer at weekend after getting letter about loyalty discounts. Out 54 plate elegance greentec with a few extras 2 years into 3 year deal is only worth £4400. I think I'll be keeping to end and laying final £3000 ang giving to daughter as first car. I can't believe the drop on these cars. I was toying with upgrading to Fabia or yeti but the price of lease from skoda is huge. I saw a deal at weekend for Audi TT for £120 month. I could nearly get 2 of them for what scolds want for a Fabia.

The depreciation on citigos / ups is savage! When it was brought out it was marketed at holding its value brilliantly. I pity anyone who paid any sort of deposit and isn't buying their car at the end of he pcp.

I can vt mine in April and am tempted to and run a banger for 6 months and then get something else, non skoda.

What worries me is that skoda have upped the ballon payment significantly is recent times so anyone who gets a new citigo will be in even more negative equity!

If reading this thread has left you thoroughly DEPRESSED, then you may be interested to know how much less than list price a few cars are listed for sale today at the car supermarket Motorpoint: you can pick up a 63 plate Skoda Citigo S for £3721 less than list new; a 63 plate Dacia Sandero Stepway for £3836 less than new; a 63 plate MINI Cooper for £5388 less than new; a 14 plate Fiat 500L for £10,086, yes £10,086, less than the list price new (I wonder what discount the original, I would guess fleet, purchaser got); a 64 plate Ford Ka for £5091 less than new; or you might fancy a 15 plate delivery mileage DS3 for £6736 less than list price. Motorpoint tend to be pretty 'on trend' when pricing and are far closer to auction prices than anything on a dealer forecourt. It is interesting to note that, according to Motorpoint, I could have spent £35740 on a 3 series BMW estate before Christmas but pick a 64 plate example up today for £14441 less. Of course, having bought a Citigo for less than 10k last year, I could probably afford to give it way in 2-3 years, I appear to be saving so much money. It's no BMW, of course, but I am enjoying it very much and getting 50-60mpg, paying no road tax, insurance is peanuts, the tires have only lost about 1mm tread and they serviced it while I waited. In fact, I was so pleased, I bought my mum one. Well, I spent £150 and got it on PCP. Of course, that means I can just give it back after three years and I am insulated from 'trade-in values' altogether. I'm still happy.

Edited by fabandy

. I pity anyone who paid any sort of deposit and isn't buying their car at the end of he pcp.

Why?

The way I understand it its   Price of car=(deposit + total monthly payments) + MGFV , so if you've got zero apr the amount of deposit you pay only lowers the monthlys, and after 3 years or whatever your term is you've paid the same no matter what deposit you've paid. If you're paying apr then the higher deposit you pay the less you pay overall, and if you have the cash and its 0%apr you're better off paying low deposit and getting a small amount of interest from your bank.

So say Citigo costs £10,000 and the MGFV is £4000 over 3 years you have to pay £6000, how you pay the £6000 is up to you (although I think there are some rules ref maximum deposit) at the end if the car is worth more than the £4000 then you're better off buying it and keeping it if you want, or selling it(that's selling it or px), if its worth less than the £4000 then hand it back, if you want to buy it hand it back on Monday and go back into the dealer on Tuesday and buy it.

One thought I did have, the MGFV didn't change with optional extras, so when you hand the car back do you have to hand the optional extras back, ie the ones you can remove, ie PID.

& that Ex Motability Citigo will or should have been inspected any Warranty Work done and had a MOT before the hand back to the Main Dealer at end of lease, who then put it on the transporter to head of to auction.

(Dealership buy back option went years ago with Motability Finance vehicles, after years of Dealerships getting 

nicely maintained vehicles cheaply that they were servicing over the 3 years. 

They gave good mats etc at hand over when they were getting them back to sell on....)

http://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/buy/Useful-information/Types-of-auction/motability

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot