Most are pay sites when it comes to Enforcement POIs. You can usually register free to get shops, banks, petrol stations, etc, but then need to pay for the good stuff.

I used Pocket GPS World for a few years. The UK coverage is good but the continental coverage, which I'm personally more interested in, was poor.

I believe GPS Data Team is free, but I don't have faith in their enforcement POIs.

So, I made myself a member of the Pocket GPS world and am soon going to try and download some free POI's to give it a try. I select the relevant country and then select the relevant sat nav system which if I am right is ASC Navman.

Is that bit right?

I then download the files(POI) and extract them onto my PC.

Then visit the VW site and follow the instructions selecting the POI's from my PC and placing them onto the Sd card?

So, I made myself a member of the Pocket GPS world and am soon going to try and download some free POI's to give it a try. I select the relevant country and then select the relevant sat nav system which if I am right is ASC Navman.

Is that bit right?

I then download the files(POI) and extract them onto my PC.

Then visit the VW site and follow the instructions selecting the POI's from my PC and placing them onto the Sd card?

ASC will work, though others would too.

Once you've sent all the POI files to the VW page and clicked "Jetzt Sichern" (Save Now) it will download a single zip file that you extract and copy to a blank SD Card - it contains 1 file, 1 folder (with various nested folders).

If you're doing it as a test and intend to add more if it works then keep those POI files you actually want as each time you update the Amundsen/Columbus you overwrite POIs already loaded. You'll need to start from scratch and reload all the POI files back to the VW site.

• 1 month later...

post-28131-0-92102200-1461441269_thumb.pngI've followed the instructions above using the VW site to import a few sets of POIs which I created in Google Earth and saved as .kmz files.

Using the German VW site everything worked fine and I now have all of my custom POIs in the Columbus.

I decided to try the Skoda My Destinations site to do the same thing but it doesn't work.

It imports each of the POI sets, let's me name them and attach a jpg picture. When I press the import button my POIs appear in the list BUT it shows zero destinations in the set.

These are exactly the same .kmz files that I imported using the VW site so why do they work there but not in Skoda My Destinations ??

Edited by Rifleman

attachicon.gifCapture.PNGI've followed the instructions above using the VW site to import a few sets of POIs which I created in Google Earth and saved as .kmz files.

Using the German VW site everything worked fine and I now have all of my custom POIs in the Columbus.

I decided to try the Skoda My Destinations site to do the same thing but it doesn't work.

It imports each of the POI sets, let's me name them and attach a jpg picture. When I press the import button my POIs appear in the list BUT it shows zero destinations in the set.

These are exactly the same .kmz files that I imported using the VW site so why do they work there but not in Skoda My Destinations ??

The Skoda My Destinations site is, unfortunately, next to useless for POI.

I get a SQL Database error no matter which type of POI file I upload.

The ability to create your own POIs on the site is also poor. I painstakingly created a POI database with the addresses of friends and family across the continent, complete with GPS-embedded metadata photos.

Everything looked great until I loaded it into the Columbus.

Half the images don't show their thumbnails and many of them are not even pointing to the correct location, sometimes not even the correct country, and the same applies to the vCards it creates.

Skoda UK have been made aware of the issues, but until it's fixed I recommend you use the site only for map and firmware updates and not for POI.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this thread, but thanks very much for the guide BillyJim. I just downloaded this month's cam database from PocketGPSWorld and your guide made it very easy to get them uploaded to the Columbus. :thumbup: Even from my driveway I can see the local mobile hiding spot and a static gatso, so it definitely worked as planned. I was lost before I found your post, it should be a sticky!

Phil, it doesn't really matter what site you use. We have Mac (El Capitan), Linux (various) and Windows 10 machines and provided you download in the right format (eg CSV) and then follow BillyJim's guide, you're golden. The only proviso is you need an archive utility / app (eg Keka on Mac, it's free). You'll need that for the unzip step, but other than that it's straightforward. If you need help drop me a PM.

EDITED TO ADD:

By the way, I loaded the POIs just fine from a USB. I haven't seen that mentioned so thought I'd add it here. You don't specifically need an SD card. As soon as the USB was plugged in, the Columbus flashed up a band across the top saying 'Software update' and I then loaded it through the Nav screen as per the guide. I've also attached a couple of speed camera pics (mobile and fixed) if anyone wants to make use of them. They look just fine on the sat nav screen and are different enough you can tell them apart at a glance.

post-63706-0-02459800-1464197353_thumb.png

post-63706-0-70900900-1464197374_thumb.png

Edited by Derv
  • Like 1

Sorry to bump this thread, but thanks very much for the guide BillyJim. I just downloaded this month's cam database from PocketGPSWorld and your guide made it very easy to get them uploaded to the Columbus. :thumbup: Even from my driveway I can see the local mobile hiding spot and a static gatso, so it definitely worked as planned. I was lost before I found your post, it should be a sticky!

Phil, it doesn't really matter what site you use. We have Mac (El Capitan), Linux (various) and Windows 10 machines and provided you download in the right format (eg CSV) and then follow BillyJim's guide, you're golden. The only proviso is you need an archive utility / app (eg Keka on Mac, it's free). You'll need that for the unzip step, but other than that it's straightforward. If you need help drop me a PM.

EDITED TO ADD:

By the way, I loaded the POIs just fine from a USB. I haven't seen that mentioned so thought I'd add it here. You don't specifically need an SD card. As soon as the USB was plugged in, the Columbus flashed up a band across the top saying 'Software update' and I then loaded it through the Nav screen as per the guide. I've also attached a couple of speed camera pics (mobile and fixed) if anyone wants to make use of them. They look just fine on the sat nav screen and are different enough you can tell them apart at a glance.

attachicon.gif2000px-Earlyswerver_UK_Speed_Camera_Sign.svg.png

attachicon.gifmobilecamerainroutebar.png

Interesting comment about updating using a USB. I don´t think I have read that anywhere else. Anyone know if this will also work on the Amundsen?

A word of advice for continental travellers:

France - it is unlawful to have camera locations marked as such on your SatNav (or indeed any other device that indicates their location).

There is a quirk in the French law that "hazard locations" can be shown - and enforcement cameras can only be located at designated "hazard locations".

Ergo - use an icon like the Hazard warning triangle instead of a camera and you're now marking "hazard locations" and the fact that there's a camera located there is purely coincidental (oui oui, mon magistrat!).

Switzerland - a similar law applies here but only to add-on devices, not OEM built-in devices (like the Amundsen/Columbus).

Just to add that Germany now has a ban on camera warnings too. While it's extremely unlikely you'd get caught I reiterate my advice not to use actual camera icons if you intend travelling on the continent.

I use the attached file for my cameras POI icon if anyone wants to use it. I ended up switching off the POI sound for my speed cameras because the warning is not directional. It will make a 'bong' noise even if the camera is on the other side of the road.

post-130001-0-77819900-1464245806.png

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

EDITED TO ADD:

EDITED TO ADD:

Hi, which file format did you download from the pocketgpsworld site. I thought I had done it correctly but the cameras did not show up correctly on my map. Thanks

Hi, which file format did you download from the pocketgpsworld site. I thought I had done it correctly but the cameras did not show up correctly on my map. Thanks

I used CSV which wasn't a problem after following BillyJim's guide. It works perfectly. If you have only just updated your POI you will need to go back into the map settings and then POI and re-enable (tick) your one or two speed camera options. For example I have Speed Cameras and Speed Cameras (Mobile), but every time I update them the Columbus automatically resets and unticks them in the options list so they are no longer visible. You have to update, then re-enable them to be shown on the map. Sometimes even then they take a while (or an engine restart or two) before they show up.

Edited by Rainmaker

I used CSV which wasn't a problem after following BillyJim's guide. It works perfectly. If you have only just updated your POI you will need to go back into the map settings and then POI and re-enable (tick) your one or two speed camera options. For example I have Speed Cameras and Speed Cameras (Mobile), but every time I update them the Columbus automatically resets and unticks them in the options list so they are no longer visible. You have to update, then re-enable them to be shown on the map. Sometimes even then they take a while (or an engine restart or two) before they show up.

Yes thanks Rainmaker for that I think I used the Garmin file assuming that would work but it seems you must have used the Other-CSV tab is that correct?

Yes thanks Rainmaker for that I think I used the Garmin file assuming that would work but it seems you must have used the Other-CSV tab is that correct?

That's right. I usually download Other-CSV; Include pMobile Files (yes); All UK Cameras (Single File). Don't forget to download and use a warning icon as part of the process on the German VW site. Despite my earlier attachments I find the simple yellow triangle attached by l4wrence above the best. During the unit's Night Mode any darker coloured images (eg the traditional black camera on white background) will be almost invisible on the map.

Edited by Rainmaker

That's right. I usually download Other-CSV; Include pMobile Files (yes); All UK Cameras (Single File). Don't forget to download and use a warning icon as part of the process on the German VW site. Despite my earlier attachments I find the simple yellow triangle attached by l4wrence above the best. During the unit's Night Mode any darker coloured images (eg the traditional black camera on white background) will be almost invisible on the map.

again most grateful, I shall try again using the updated file from the GPS site tomorrow. Thanks again.
  • Like 1

Why is this so complicated? it's 2016 - Surely 'safety' warnings like this should be a standard map feature?

Having lived in France for sometime I am aware of the law variations from country to country but it can't be that tricky to release country based updates.

I really want to have a warning for fixed cameras but I am worried I'm going to seriously mess something up trying to add the data.

Why is this so complicated? it's 2016 - Surely 'safety' warnings like this should be a standard map feature?

Having lived in France for sometime I am aware of the law variations from country to country but it can't be that tricky to release country based updates.

I really want to have a warning for fixed cameras but I am worried I'm going to seriously mess something up trying to add the data.

You can't mess up anything, just follow the guide in this thread. If you did do something 'wrong' you can just do it all again and the first/mistaken POIs will be overwritten by your newer correct ones. It's actually really easy. Some marques do provide maps with camera alerts, for example using TomTom maps, though some (most?) charge for them after a short time. Just give it a go, it's quite straightforward. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Bingo!  thank you for the help and also to BillyJim for the great guide. That file seems to work now on the maps. Now, to work on the Europe maps.

My recently delivered (September) MY17 Superb only shows a table of the following POI's, namely Petrol, Restaurants and Parking whilst my previous MY16 Superb3 delivered with the wrong engine in March 2016 showed the full selection of Categories chosen by the driver.

I have put a call in to the supplying dealer and they are clearly puzzled by what appears to be a retrograde step in the software.

It is obviously useful to be able to pre select a route to a Hotel, Museum, Golf Course etc from the displayed table, but that doesn't seem possible. I do not need to have them displayed on the map but do any members have a workaround to display a full table of selected categories, or am I missing something!

Thanks for the immediate response Rainmaker.

Yes, I have ticked the required categories and they will display on the map, which personally I don't need, but they don't show in the table displayed on the Columbus when hitting the POI button

I managed to get it worked out and loaded up in the end.

Not convinced that the camera files are reliable as the nearest fixed camera to us doesn't appear on the map.

I'll give it a try and see what happens when I'm actually driving but at least I know the process is not as hard as it might seem at first glance.

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated  :beer:

My recently delivered (September) MY17 Superb only shows a table of the following POI's, namely Petrol, Restaurants and Parking whilst my previous MY16 Superb3 delivered with the wrong engine in March 2016 showed the full selection of Categories chosen by the driver.

I have put a call in to the supplying dealer and they are clearly puzzled by what appears to be a retrograde step in the software.

It is obviously useful to be able to pre select a route to a Hotel, Museum, Golf Course etc from the displayed table, but that doesn't seem possible. I do not need to have them displayed on the map but do any members have a workaround to display a full table of selected categories, or am I missing something!

I have ticked the required categories and they will display on the map, which personally I don't need, but they don't show in the table displayed on the Columbus when hitting the POI button.

Has anyone any suggestions to solve this issue?