OBDeleven

31 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

But I'm lost at step 2 of this:

1. Go to [09] Central Electronics

2. STG access permissions -> Function 16

3. Enter access code 31347

4. Go to adaptation channels (Function 10)

5. Select channel 1 - Select "Number of operations front windsceen wiper washer per SRA activation" (in German - Frontscheib

6. Adjust value to preference (no of times you can operate the windscreen washer stalk before the headlight washer activate).

7. Select channel 3, and adjust the activate time for folding the switch to enable headlight washers in the first place.

Is it long coding or adaptation?

Neither, it's security access - some adaptations and codings are disabled until you enter the correct security code.

You don't NEED the engine running but unless your battery is in good condition AND you turn off the A/C then it's often a good idea if you're going to leave the ignition on for a while.

Edited by SWBoy

Just a quick update, I managed to do the adaptation last night. A few points to note:

- engine doesn't have to be running. But it's better to do everything after a long run or before a long run so battery won't be drained

- correct security code is automatically suggested by OBDeleven app

- But in adaptations, it is completely different to VCDS instructions. OBDeleven presents a long list of (presumably) decoded channels. I had to search for "wiper" to find the correct channel.

I've also set auto switch day-time saving. But similarly, there was a lot of guesswork needed to find the right channel in adaptation.

Anyone got any tips on how to match up adaptation to VCDS instructions we see everywhere?

• Like 1

I don’t follow how you needed to guess what to change? The VCDS instructions are exactly the same. The only time the instructions in the sticky don’t follow correctly is when you’re changing later model year cars than what the guide was written for. 

Original instruction:

1. Go to [09] Central Electronics

2. STG access permissions -> Function 16

3. Enter access code 31347

4. Go to adaptation channels (Function 10)

5. Select channel 1 - Select "Number of operations front windsceen wiper washer per SRA activation" (in German - Frontscheib

My OBDeleven steps

1. Go to Central Electronics

2. Press Adaptation

3. Search for "wiper" and press "Windscreen wiper" (IIRC or something similar)

4. Then find Number of operations front windsceen wiper washer per SRA activation

.....Do changes

6. On clicking apply tick, it asks for access code.

"Adaptation channel Function 10" doesn't exist in OBDeleven, it exist as "Windscreen wiper" under adaptations.

This is while using the latest 0.9.2.2 app, might be different in earlier versions though.

2 more changes applied. Both rear fog lights now come on. And the one that was annoying me the most, Stop-Start deactivated.

Now just have to figure out how to make the car connect to WLAN without me switching on my iphone all the time and pairing it with the car. 

Great, my cheap Chinese phone don't have play store, have to wait for APKpure to update before I can use this dongle again. I wish they don't impose mandatory updates like this.....

31 minutes ago, BOOSSHH said:

so quick question does this work the new my18 vrs's and if i don't have an android phone can inot just use a tablet or laptop ? TIA

Yes, I have a 3 month old car and just use the app on a tablet as I only have an iPhone. 

So far I have:-

Changed the comfort indicator from 3 flashes to 5(too long) and back to 4. 

Activated the near side mirror to dip when engaging reverse gear. 

Stopped the headlight washers activating. 

Fuel amount to refill in dash. 

Show fan speed on auto. 

Activated both rear fog lights. 

Deactivated the Stop-Start system. 

Edited by Ozzy25

54 minutes ago, BOOSSHH said:

so quick question does this work the new my18 vrs's and if i don't have an android phone can inot just use a tablet or laptop ? TIA

Yes

Tablet is fine as long as it's Android and has access to Play Store.

11 hours ago, wyx087 said:

Great, my cheap Chinese phone don't have play store, have to wait for APKpure to update before I can use this dongle again. I wish they don't impose mandatory updates like this.....

3 hours ago, fergiet said:

Tablet is fine as long as it's Android and has access to Play Store.

Answering my own question and this comment.

If your device doesn't have Play Store, you can sideload an earlier version of the app, then send a support message asking for ways to download latest version of the app without Play Store. They will reply with a link to the latest version of the app hosted on their official site.

3 hours ago, toni8b said:

I wonder how it does it and is it safe?

The most common way AFAIK is to change the battery voltage level which must be reached before start/stop is activated. Because this figure is unrealistically high, it won't be reached so s/s doesn't kick in. It tricks the car into thinking that active power consumption is too high to enable start stop (which is a valid scenario as standard).

Perfectly safe, but you need to re-code if you ever want to enable it again.

5 hours ago, ahenners said:

The most common way AFAIK is to change the battery voltage level which must be reached before start/stop is activated. Because this figure is unrealistically high, it won't be reached so s/s doesn't kick in. It tricks the car into thinking that active power consumption is too high to enable start stop (which is a valid scenario as standard)......

I haven't done this on my car yet but have wondered....

Does this actually change the battery voltage as seen by the entire ECU?

ie: it changes a reference point so the ECU continually only sees 10V, for exacmple, when it's expecting to see 12 or more?
In which case, wouldn't that mess up other functions of the car?

OR

Does it change the minimum voltage threshold JUST for the stop/start function, to something unrealistic..... so that effectively, ONLY that module fails to activate, as the voltage never reaches the trigger point?

I assume that adaptation is the second option, as the first option can surely only cause issues for other functions within the ECU?

14 minutes ago, spinifex said:

I haven't done this on my car yet but have wondered....

Does this actually change the battery voltage as seen by the entire ECU?

ie: it changes a reference point so the ECU continually only sees 10V, for exacmple, when it's expecting to see 12 or more?
In which case, wouldn't that mess up other functions of the car?

OR

Does it change the minimum voltage threshold JUST for the stop/start function, to something unrealistic..... so that effectively, ONLY that module fails to activate, as the voltage never reaches the trigger point?

I assume that adaptation is the second option, as the first option can surely only cause issues for other functions within the ECU?

Yes it's the latter, it's the threshold.

On the first bit you mentioned... If you could somehow change the actual read battery voltage and override it, but left the threshold described above untouched, then start stop would always work. As the car would always see the battery voltage as above the threshold at which start stop should work.

Edited by ahenners

Secondary question: has anyone either used the one-touch app/long-coded using OBD11, to change the comfort-blinker setting from the default 3-blinks, to a different number and found that every so often, it returns to 3 flashes.... until you cycle the ignition again?

Mine does it.... just randomly it decides to revert to the factory 3 flashes even though I've got it set to 4.

I can't see how this could possibly happen since I've coded a number into the ECU so the previous number shouldn't be in there anymore?

I'm worried/wondering what other little changes I've made, that will suddenly randomly decide to revert to factory settings again.....

And yes - I've un-coded it back to default 3 blinks, and re-coded back to 4 again several times, and it still randomly decides to go back to 3 every so often.

Edited by spinifex

1 minute ago, spinifex said:

Secondary question: has anyone either used the one-touch app/long-coded using OBD11, to change the comfort-blinker setting from the default 3-blinks, to a different number and found that every so often, it returns to 3 flashes.... until you cycle the ignition again?

Mine does it.... just randomly it decides to revert to the factory 3 flashes even though I've got it set to 4.

I can't see how this could possibly happen since I've coded a number into the ECU so the previous number shouldn't be in there anymore?

Did you reset the vehicle settings in the infotainment after doing the coding? I've seen issues with this not applying the change until the settings have been reset.

1 minute ago, ahenners said:

Did you reset the vehicle settings in the infotainment after doing the coding? I've seen issues with this not applying the change until the settings have been reset.

Yep - did all that.

Did the actual coding change nearly a year ago..... and it worked perfectly for quite a time, but just randomly, I notice that it reverts back to 3 blinks.
Only way to get it back to 4 again, is to pull over, and cycle the ignition off and on again...... 

I can't remember if I've tried just resetting the settings/info-unit, instead of cycling the ignition.... but I assume that once the setting is set, that's it.... it should be set.

I can't see how it can work sometimes, and then randomly decide to go back to factory settings again.

Makes me wonder how permanent these setting-changes are via OBD11...... everything else I've changed (boot close button & keyfob, various lighting adjustments, lap timer, etc, etc, have all stayed set to the settings I've coded).. so unsure why the blinkers sometimes revert back?

4 minutes ago, spinifex said:

Yep - did all that.

Did the actual coding change nearly a year ago..... and it worked perfectly for quite a time, but just randomly, I notice that it reverts back to 3 blinks.
Only way to get it back to 4 again, is to pull over, and cycle the ignition off and on again...... 

I can't remember if I've tried just resetting the settings/info-unit, instead of cycling the ignition.... but I assume that once the setting is set, that's it.... it should be set.

I can't see how it can work sometimes, and then randomly decide to go back to factory settings again.

Makes me wonder how permanent these setting-changes are via OBD11...... everything else I've changed (boot close button & keyfob, various lighting adjustments, lap timer, etc, etc, have all stayed set to the settings I've coded).. so unsure why the blinkers sometimes revert back?

Indeed - bit of an odd one. Everything I've ever set with OBDEleven on my car and others has been retained - including the blinkers setting.

Not sure if you've already done it but I'd be tempted to change the setting back to 3, apply, reset the settings. Then repeat for 4 and see if makes a difference.

** Just seen your edit and you've already tried this. Not sure what else to suggest!

Edited by ahenners