Octavia VRS Estate PROBLEMS HELP!

Hi all,

I was just wondering how many people have had this problem, the car has been in the garage 35 times for varies problems and its only a 14 plate! :dull:

Recently it went back in because of corrosion on the centre caps this is its 6th set! Now they are telling us its not under warranty as it is due to use of TFR.

I know TFR has never touched the alloys it only gets washed in auto glymm shampoo and conditioner and I am very strict with this.

No acid and no wheel cleaner no harsh chemicals!

I am stuck now and do not know what to do as they are refusing to fix this like they are with every other problem it has!

Advice please and thank you so much in advance.

White worm I take it. Happens to them regardless. Mine where on the car for less than 3 months.

Cleaned with perfectly safe cleaners and still they have done it.

Try another dealer

If you're on your 6th set in 2 years, well done for getting so many out of the dealer!  I think though it should tell you that it's an inherent issue with the parts and the 66th set will do exactly the same.  

If it's been in to the dealer 35 times, why have you not rejected it by now?  I would have done as that's once every 3 weeks??  I've had more reliable carrier bags than that.

• Like 1

So we treat cosmetic parts like consumables now? Is the guy being picky? I certainly don't think so, given everyone's experience that this is inevitable it shows they aren't for purpose. Skoda and the dealer will get away with it due to those willing to suck it up and not be 'picky', just be good little customers and not expect too much....

• Like 1

The centre caps are an issue Skoda really need to address but I think it's something I'd just learn to live with if mine did it.

I'm keen to hear what other issues you've had to need so many visits to your dealer.

Just buy the superskoda one http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-III/Center-wheel-caps-RS-HONEYCOMB-design-BLACK

Problem solved, at the end of the day, you have a right to have them changed, that's what the warranty is for & on a plus side, you have had 6 sets out of them, skoda know of this problem & I'm sure you ain't the only person to have them changed under warranty!

But 6 sets, that't good going ;)

Please name the dealer if they blatantly refuse to 'fix' problems. Then you will have made a positive contribution in that we can all avoid said dealer.

You never detailed the Myriad of other problems. Were they problems or actual hard faults?

1 set of centre caps every 4 months would indicate that something the OP is doing is causing this.

In almost 50k miles in 2 different O3's over 2 1/2 years I haven't had any issues with the centre caps, and one of those cars was regularly up the local £5 wash where they spray all kinds of wheel cleaners and TFR on it.

I am not surprised Skoda are refusing to replace them any more.

• Like 2

You can get four for a tenner off eBay.

Never noticed it on mine, admittedly I've not looked/cleaned that much recently due to the weather, but still on the originals 18 months in. It seems very odd for you to have had so many replacements all with the same fault/lifespan when not everybody's are the same.

Edited by FluffyEyeball
  • Like 1

My current vrs estate is 2yrs old. Never had an issue with this or anything else. Had 2 other mk2 L&k's.one had a corroded boot logo, it was replaced.

My centre caps are corroded but I will just wait till they get really bad then just buy them new, the hassle of going to the dealer is worse than buying them, and I always think if you go for little things there less likely to take you seriously if somthing major is wrong. Not that I'm saying I would not be mad as I discovered mine were corroded a few weeks back.

Is it really 35 times? As that would be every third week and would certainly be beyond my levels of patience with a car.

That said, I'd also tend to agree with Alpha, trivialities are not going to get you treated very seriously. 6 visits for wheel caps for example does tend to suggest a slight level of pedantry. the wheel cap quality does sound poor but I'd have thought you'd have realised that after the second or third visit. This isn't a fault unique to skoda though so I think it's just something you have to live with, or you're just going to be flogging a dead horse

I was wondering about spraying them with clear lacquer to help seal them?

I have just got an ebay set on order for my winter steels. I had an ebay set on my last winter alloys and part of the logo got removed while I was washing it.

• Like 1

I was wondering about spraying them with clear lacquer to help seal them?

I have just got an ebay set on order for my winter steels. I had an ebay set on my last winter alloys and part of the logo got removed while I was washing it.

Spraying the caps withe lacker can't do any harm. The white worm is the aluminium reacting to oxygen as it's a reactive metal so I think clear lacker is a good idea. It's too late for mine but will do this on the next lot.