Model year 2017

Well!! 

i will start off by a little story,

first i owned Superb 1.6D MY2012 for a while i loved it it was Elegance trim which in Sweden it is loaded with extra goods basically you never need anything but the Navigation which i didn't had.

then i sold it because the engine is quite small for such a big car. it  really struggle if it is fully loaded you feel the engine cant coupe to drag all that.

i bought my self BMW 520d 2011 F11. it had the lovely automatic 8 speed gearbox, it was comfort edition which is different  from what package and trim level you get from UK,

anyway BMW Sweden is greedy , pretty much everything you have to pay for it, you get rear seat and steering wheel for free the rest you have to buy it is very long unreasonable ridiculous list of little boxes you have to tick to get a decent car from them. 

it wasn't me anyway who got it new so mine had 120 000KM  on the clock, automatic no kessy no any driver assistance just the standard stuff. 

my new lovely Skoda:

model year 2017 2.0TDI 4x4 L&K "Skoda Sweden is really generous with the equipment on L&K trim"

I looked into the UK car configuration and it is pretty similar list of equipment you get in the Swedish market, 

anyway i ticked  the remaining boxes in my car just ignored the ventilated seat, sunroof,rear sun blinders,went with AMUNDSEN not Columbus and i didn't mark the premium WLAN.  that's about it the rest of options i marked it.

now for the drive experience. my BMW was not top trim level so the build quality and extras were not that premium, it feels strong on the road but dear lord, when you make a call to ask about any help from the service it is ridiculously expensive.

it start to age and it demand some changes after 13k on the clock like front breaks pads and disks have to be changed, beside the car never complain or show any error i am talking about 8% break left in both front wheels :D what a kind car computer!!

so in skoda it is like i never drove a car before with active cruise control  is fantastic and all the assistance systems it have only thing i miss from BMW is the gearbox "i never drove DSG before" it feel bit strange i just made 250km so i can't tell really!

Skoda build quality is great as far as your eye can see "in you area of view" but when you start reaching with  your hands under and behind everything and start touching/scratching the material! well the BMW was all wrapped in soft feeling material you have to search longer for plastic.

Skoda use plastic in the places which you don't often dig around much,"never understand why they did the glove box in plastic" but it feels well so no problem with that.

the car body is well balanced and you feel it is heavy metal not a cheep hollow body.

Skoda damping and build quality in the interior is really good, well screwed together and feels quality. 

comfort mode is really nice, sport mode you feel the car suddenly came to live with four wheel drive it punches really well for a car that size and in that class.

Android auto is cool but only the downside that you can't use your phone while you are connected so I can't see my work mail. "system is still young and it will develop" it is even not supported in Sweden yet -i hade to download .apk file and install it- so it read my incoming SMS as it in English which is not useful.

parking pilot is driving me crazy i need to read the manual once more to figure it out.

i will update later or if anyone wants to ask about something specific please feel free!

Thanks, i'm asking because i'm thinking about what my next car would be after the superb and was considering a slightly used (1-2 years old, under 50k km) bmw 5 possibly.

Thanks, i'm asking because i'm thinking about what my next car would be after the superb and was considering a slightly used (1-2 years old, under 50k km) bmw 5 possibly.

You get much more for your money from Superb than bmw .

Even the space in the rear seat or the boot, make any other car feel really small, i tried E-Class and still the superb are bigger and smarter in space management.

If you like to change cars often and willing to try new models,try the bmw it is fun to drive and good luck finding a good deal which have nice equipment.

I know that people were getting the MY17 build from week 22. Does anyone know when the factory summer break was? Or is it still on and they are yet to return?

The first MY2017 models are arriving in Belgium these days. The confirmed changes:

1) 10 colors for led-strip: colors.jpg

2) frameless rear view mirror

3) virtual pedal to close the trunk

4) No confirmation of progressive steering, but hard to compare if you only have 1 car.

Would I be right in thinking that the 10 colour LED strips could easily be added to the first batch of SIII'S through a software update from Skoda or would it be far more complex than that?? (never mind the odds of Skoda doing that being virtually nil but possible)

Would I be right in thinking that the 10 colour LED strips could easily be added to the first batch of SIII'S through a software update from Skoda or would it be far more complex than that?? (never mind the odds of Skoda doing that being virtually nil but possible)

As an IT-consultant, I would say: "yes you are right, they just need to install the new software on your car". As a car-enthousiast, I would say: "No way, they're not going to spend time in providing an upgrade mechanism"...

So I think you can hope there is a backdoor to do the upgrade yourself.

• Like 1

@midostudio
Since you have 2017 model, so the rear view mirror is frameless right. How about the virtual pedal, can you close the trunk with virtual pedal? thanks

@midostudio

Since you have 2017 model, so the rear view mirror is frameless right. How about the virtual pedal, can you close the trunk with virtual pedal? thanks

I did not order the virtual pedal, i got kessy as standard and to add the virtual pedal would cost me 1500Sek

Around 150Gbp, and all the cars i tested it never works! i mean like 10 cars at different delars, it take longer time to search where to wave your foot than leaving whatever you have in your hand and open from the handel.

So thats why i did not orderd as extra option!

Took delivery of my Superb Estate 2.0tdi L&K on Monday 11th July (ordered on January 28th 2016) and it appears to be a MY2017 spec but it does have the TV tuner.

To recap I have the following kit present in the vehicle:

TV tuner

New look frameless rear view mirror.

10 colour LED interior background lighting

Virtual foot pedal (which works just fine)

Looks like I may have been one of the lucky ones who got the TV tuner before the cut-off date. To be honest though I can't see much use for it and once the initial WOW factor has worn off of having freeview TV I doubt I'll ever use it.

You should have it as you ordered in January. It's when the order was not when the car was built that is important. Think it was about the start of May when the cut off was.

• Like 1

Took delivery of my Superb Estate 2.0tdi L&K on Monday 11th July (ordered on January 28th 2016) and it appears to be a MY2017 spec but it does have the TV tuner.

To recap I have the following kit present in the vehicle:

TV tuner

New look frameless rear view mirror.

10 colour LED interior background lighting

Virtual foot pedal (which works just fine)

Looks like I may have been one of the lucky ones who got the TV tuner before the cut-off date. To be honest though I can't see much use for it and once the initial WOW factor has worn off of having freeview TV I doubt I'll ever use it.

Out of curiosity, how is the TV? Does it have a good picture or is the screen not really a high enough resolution?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, how is the TV? Does it have a good picture or is the screen not really a high enough resolution?

The one and only time I have tried it the picture was perfect.

• Like 1

The one and only time I have tried it the picture was perfect.

Thanks, I'll have a fiddle with mine tomorrow when I pick it up and then promptly never use it again.

It still amazes me how they can justify £850 for the tv option.

As I posted earlier, MY2016 had it standard, MY2017 it is an £850 option, but the MY2017 car is not £850 cheaper as it no longer has the TV fitted... £850 hidden price increase on top of the usual annual price rises... bonus for Skoda all round, crap for the customer..... If you think about it, If you now pay £850 for TV they are £1700 better off now compared to the MY2016 car ... if not they are still £850 better off.... or should I say "rip off"

Edited by stuarttunstall

As I posted earlier, MY2016 had it standard, MY2017 it is an £850 option, but the MY2017 car is not £850 cheaper as it no longer has the TV fitted... £850 hidden price increase on top of the usual annual price rises... bonus for Skoda all round, crap for the customer..... If you think about it, If you now pay £850 for TV they are £1700 better off now compared to the MY2016 car ... if not they are still £850 better off.... or should I say "rip off"

But then again, you don't pay extra for the virtual pedal closing, and the 10 color leds, and the frameless mirror, and the 8 inch screen on every satnav...

• Like 1

Yeah, but was only "free" if L&K MY2016 - I kicked up a fuss and got for it for my on order MY2017 at no extra cost as it should have been included when I placed the order despite what they said (long story)....lots of hassle albeit the fact is that I'll maybe use it twice a year (Wimbledon/olympics/euros/world cup/brexit/Octonauts)

Sorry for the delayed reply.... The picture quality is really good. You also get the HD channels so those ones obviously look better than the standard ones. It does struggle for reception though on certain channels but I guess this depends on your location.

As a safety feature the picture turns off above 5mph (although clearly you shouldn't be watching it whilst driving anyway) but the sound is still present. Like I said before I can't see much use for it really. It's not like you're going to pull up outside your house and sit in your car watching TV :D . Unless you were locked out of course. However it would be good if the rear passengers could watch it whilst you're driving with rear head rest monitors if you had them fitted. May be one for the future or an expensive after market modification...

You do pay for them, if you did't the L&K would be the same price as a basic model.... ;)

All of those things were not in the 2016 model. So that's one of the reasons of the price increase. Just saying: "it's not fair to have a price increase while you're taking an option away" is not correct. They also added extras to the model.

• Like 1

Sat in updated my2017 demonstrator. Was mostly was interested in added sound insulation (mine was built in week48), but a difference when driving is neglidible if any.

Might be better in the back though (never sat there, even in mine ;).

Rear wheel arches, rear seat area and pillars are treated with rubber mat like materials now. Nothing to the front.

The first MY2017 models are arriving in Belgium these days. The confirmed changes:

1) 10 colors for led-strip

2) frameless rear view mirror

3) virtual pedal to close the trunk

4) No confirmation of progressive steering, but hard to compare if you only have 1 car.

All of those things were not in the 2016 model. So that's one of the reasons of the price increase. Just saying: "it's not fair to have a price increase while you're taking an option away" is not correct. They also added extras to the model.

It's a big price increase.

1) Adding extra colours to the LED strips costs Skoda absolutely nothing

2) I doubt the mirror costs any more money! It had a mirror in before. This is just a different design, it has no new features.

3) In the UK the virtual pedal was already included in the L&K spec

So the new things cost nothing extra, whilst losing the TV is an expensive option to replace. Of course it doesn't cost Skoda anywhere near £850 to install it, but if you want it now that's what's it's going to cost you and it didn't before so it is effectively a price increase (on top of the RRP increase).

It's a big price increase.

1) Adding extra colours to the LED strips costs Skoda absolutely nothing

2) I doubt the mirror costs any more money! It had a mirror in before. This is just a different design, it has no new features.

3) In the UK the virtual pedal was already included in the L&K spec

So the new things cost nothing extra, whilst losing the TV is an expensive option to replace. Of course it doesn't cost Skoda anywhere near £850 to install it, but if you want it now that's what's it's going to cost you and it didn't before so it is effectively a price increase (on top of the RRP increase).

I think you highly underestimate the cost of software-updates.

1) This means a change in the operating system of the car. Which means they need to do regression-testing of the full software (you wouldn't want to cause a change of color to change anything else)

2) The mirror probably had to go to a sh*tload of safety en quality checks to make sure it didn't have any sharp edges, doesn't fall apart, ...

3) The virtual pedal could only open the boot, now it can also close it. Which brings a big security risk (children can close the boot by swiping their foot under the bumper). The safety mechanism was already known to be very faulty on closing the boot so I assume they had to revise that as well. And again, all the official safety checks had to happen again.

The hardware cost is only a small portion of the total cost of the changes in a car (or pretty much anything which can cause safety issues).

• Like 1

I think you highly underestimate the cost of software-updates.

1) This means a change in the operating system of the car. Which means they need to do regression-testing of the full software (you wouldn't want to cause a change of color to change anything else)

2) The mirror probably had to go to a sh*tload of safety en quality checks to make sure it didn't have any sharp edges, doesn't fall apart, ...

3) The virtual pedal could only open the boot, now it can also close it. Which brings a big security risk (children can close the boot by swiping their foot under the bumper). The safety mechanism was already known to be very faulty on closing the boot so I assume they had to revise that as well. And again, all the official safety checks had to happen again.

The hardware cost is only a small portion of the total cost of the changes in a car (or pretty much anything which can cause safety issues).

I don't doubt that software changes involve time and, hence, money. But if I underestimate the cost I think you overplay it.

1) the system already had 3 colour options for the LED lights, so all that is being done is adding in 7 more options which I doubt involve a huge amount of change to the code. After all it's not creating something new, just providing further RGB combinations. I should imagine it was not a lengthy job for a programmer to complete.

2) no doubt what you say is true, but as the mirror doesn't add any functionality over the previous part it's clearly a needless replacement so I think it's understandable for people to be frustrated that they're paying a lot extra for the car which doesn't gain anything new. My guess is the reason for the change is vanity - there are many comments about the mirror looking small (despite covering the whole rear view) and the new design, I suspect, is to make it look more prominent.

3) once again, this is adding further functionality to an existing feature. All the components are already there it only involves adding in further code to close the boot when the sensor is activated and the boot is open. It is already designed to stop closing if it detects something in the way.

I'll say again that I don't doubt these changes do cost money but with the loss of the TV tuner and OTR price increase that is far more than covered.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

3k km Update :D

I love the car!

I drove long journeys the last tow weeks and it was great comfort the ACC is fantastic i hardly used my feet for total of 1500km it, it is fun in overtaking it gives you a really nice sporty punch when you activate lane departure signal. lane assist it seems it is getting smarter and smarter every day in the first few days it was clumsy and the lanes should be shiny white now it improved a lot i notice it worked with barely visible lines.

seating position is comfortable and well balanced Android Auto is cool but the only downside that your phone is useless while connecting you can't open anything other than phone calls and the programs in AA, google maps is annoying that you cant use the search keypad while driving you have to beg the system to understand your voice command a lot of times to get the address, sometimes when i had enough, i had to park the car so i can write my destination or to search for it other than throwing the phone from the window.

the sound quality is ok but lower than the normal level of the car stereo streaming from Bluetooth,  other than that it is cool.

the DCC is bit strange i tried in town driving in comfort for a while it is very cool but on the soft side especially in the rear i fell the rare of the car will touch the street when i take a speed bump but other than that it is really comfy " coffee cup test :)"

in Normal mode it is more balanced and it fits most driving conditions, Sports mode is cool but in rough road you feel each and every little detail on the road. steering in sport is bit different but not that sporty like BMW for example.

DSG well!! 

i try to understand it on the highway is cool and everything and really smart in assisting you down and uphill i really like that so much, like simple press on the brakes in downhill it change the gear down so you don't need to use the brakes and if you apply more brake it will continue changing down the gear to further assist you not to use the brake.

but in town i really can't understand what it is doing move up and down gears for no particular reason sometimes opposite of what i am planning to do, like it change into higher gear in the time when i just got out of a jam and need the power.  

even the today the car got really hot because of that and the cooling fan stayed on for like 10min or so to cool down after the ignition was off, this after driving in cool weather for 15 min in low-speed schools and living area road!

brake assist is really effective on the highway i tried it once.

i like the infotainment system it gives you a very good view about your driving data and in great details. 

the ambient light is just amazing.

headlight could be a bit stronger it is fine in pitch black road but i can use some stronger-brighter light beam.

this is a quote i wrote about SLA

, the SLA made me crazy in the beginning, then i notice it improved a lot " maybe it learns or i got used to it" but anyway about the road signs it actually highlights all signs on the road and i mean really highlight in high extream beam.

then it keeps scanning the road for signs and traffic i see perfectly dark cone behind the cars in front and dark triangle shape toward the cars in the other lane and it moves really quickly from point to another to mask or to highlight pretty impressive , add to that the angle for steering and the road curve really responsive. 

it needs refining though sometimes it moves very fast for no reason no reflection or coming cars maybe updates will improve the system as you said!

just to add, i still didn't know until now why some cars were flashing to me from the other lane it's like 10m+ between the lanes and i guess my high beam was annoying to them while i see the area was masked maybe the angel were wrong or the road curve but this is usual with the system, i got the same effect from Ford or Volvo cars driving toward me so i guess the whole Bosch system needs some updates. 

Edited by MidoStudio
  • Like 2