How long is your commute?

slicendice

What's Cycling.........is it like putting things in bins to be collected by men in Orange suits............

Pretty much Andy, yep.  Then they take you to work, where you get to try to sort out a load of other people's rubbish.

Does beg the question if re-cycling is me coming home at the end of the day  :smirk:

G

25 miles each way, takes between 35-55minutes depending on traffic and if it's a day shift or night (12hr shifts 6-6) I car share with 3 other fellas so only drive once a week unless I'm on over time (4on 4 off pattern) I know some at work drive for almost 2 hours each way, I have no idea how they do that between 12 hour shifts, they must go straight to bed as soon as they get in.

About 20 miles each way, which dependant on the time of day I start ( school kicking out time, rush hour etc ) can take up to 1hr 30 mins, coming home in the early hours it takes 25 mins, keeping an eye on the myriads of speed cameras.

• Like 1

I do 11 miles each way. Normally I work early so at 5/6/7am it's a 15 min drive. I have helped in the past in other garages and even a 17 mile trip each way (about 35/40 min) is too much for me long term, it didnt help that I was doing long days but still, no fun. 

A mate does about 50 miles and sometimes takes them up to 2 hours in bad traffic, fook that! 

500-700 miles a week mainly by Skoda Superb but occasionally by train - totally happy because I want to

Iive in Cornwall but work's based in/ around London.

IMHO the car's soooooooo......much better because it's cheaper and you've got your own space, music, climate, etc, etc.....

26miles of single carriage crap o/taking opportunities and a propensity of lorries on the way to the office, normally 35-45mins.

my area i cover is generally 70mins from the door, distance varies, road type and exact location dictates the time. One stetch i cover though is about 70miles which starts 52miles from home... i hate going down there as you get bogall time on site before its time to leave again.. i dont get paid o/time unless its at weekends, and travel time is included in shift hrs...

43 miles and approximately 35 minutes if I set off at 0350 for a 0500 start.

45-50 minutes if I set off at 0450 for a 0600 start, and anything between 60 and 90 minutes for a 0700 start.

If 0700 start, I normally set off at 0530 to ensure I'm there on time.

Regardless of what time I start I then have either a 1 or 1 1/2 mile walk.

If a 1115 or 1230 finish, then my commute home is normally 30-35 minutes. If a 10 hour shift and 1500-1530 finish than that 30-35 minute commute could turn into a 90-120 minute commute.

43 miles in 30 minutes = 'on the bang flat out in top' even the average speed is pretty big lol. 

Mine is a pain in the hole at the moment as the road I live in the middle of is closed at the moment so means heading the opposite direction boxing it off then coming back on myself. 40min if leaving at 04:00 for early shift and 60-75 minutes if leaving at 11:30 for an afternoon start. At moment additional road works (finishing this week) means it's taking a good 90 minutes to do 25 mother flipping miles of twisty crapy roads and the last 6 miles a nice road (which is being replaced for no apparent reason as it was the only good bit of road...) 

Thanks for pointing that out, FUBAR. I didn't notice my 0400 figures were merde! That could have been embarrassing, as I'm due to start back with them in a few weeks and turning up late on my first day would not have gone down well!

In my defence (cough! Cough!) I haven't done that commute since November, and I normally arrive at 0430, so that would explain where I got confused with the 30 minutes. It should have said 'approximately 40 minutes'.

Interestingly,(for me anyway!) my new satnav app (which I haven't used on that commute) states 43 miles. Google Maps states 38 miles, but the Scouts trip computer states 40 miles. Be interesting to find out which ones marry up.

My commute is about an hour 36miles most of it on the A338 between swindon and the A303, absolute dog turd!! The roads falling apart filled with lorries that you struggle to overtake, then when you do manage to overtake a doris doing 30mph in a 60mph has a moan at you.

I think whatever your commute think carefully about when taking a job unless you intend to move etc. A bad commute can make a good job tedious and a 8 hour day into a 10-12! All of that eats into your quality of life. I currently work a 50 hour week but I'm only 4 miles away so I cycle which keeps me trim and keeps me near the family plus I enjoy my job more because of the locality!

1.5 hours door to desk.

Cycle 8 min to station, few moments to lock up the bike, 54 min on the train IF Southern can find the staff or a working train, get through the station and then a 20 minutes walk to the office.

Next time we move house we are closer to the office OR on a faster train line.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1 hour to do 19 miles but last week I brought a folding bike and now I have wiped 20 minutes of my journey. I drive 17 miles now park it away from the town. Then cycle the last 2 miles. Now I'm there in 40 minutes. Also feel physically better and save £28 a week in parking charges.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In the front room if on pc working, about 3.7 metres if I'm painting cars, or if driving a bus about a mile to the depot

Got the bus here tonight ready for morning so about 3.5 metres in the morning....

I used to commute and do 50k++ pa, thanks the stars that is no more!

Newarthill to Paisley approximately 30 miles Via mainly the A8/M8 or the M73/M74 depending on mood and traffic...

As most of the journey the motorway has a speed limit of 50 or 60, average speed cameras for 50 on a lot of it owing to upgrade work, I set my cruise control to 50mph and leaving the house at 5:45 I'm In work for 6:30 at the latest for 07:00 start ... leaving the house at 6:45 for an 08:00 start I'm lucky to make it and struggle to park the car so for both I tend to just get in for the 6:30 mark... it's roughly the same coming home at 7 or 8pm although the 8pm finish is slightly worse ... the worst is the 3pm finish once a month on a Wednesday when it can't take 90 minutes to get home ...

Jaysus - have read this thread and it made my hair stand on end! I used to do an 80km trek using a coach service that took 2.5 hours every day from Co. Laois to Dublin. If I was unlucky I had to take the car... it was actually cheaper and 5 hours more sleep (possibly) to pay the €12 in the Squeaky bed hostel in Dublin´s Gardiner Street to stay over some nights than it was  to try and train or bus/taxi it home if the once-a-day coach service had departed.

At the moment, I use a bike. I can be in work in about 6-7 minutes if I cycle like blazes and that´s door-to-door. My missus has just landed a job where she can do the same on a bike in about 3 minutes.

I can´t even begin to tell you the additional quality of life that this brings - especially with two small children. I´d recommend proximity over any other benefit anytime - maybe I´m biased?

It is a time rather than distance thing imo..

eg my office as i said is 26miles but 35-45mins drive.

i have access to a satelitte office in cork - 55miles door to dor but only take 15mins longer to get there due to road quality (m8 sth, job done)

I have a 25 mile commute each way (North Sheffield to Doncaster). It's pretty much all motorway as I only live a couple of miles from the M1 and my office is around a mile from the M18 so takes me around 25-30 minutes on a clear run. I work three 12 hour days / nights a week starting at either 6am/6pm or 7am/7pm with the trip in to work when starting at 6pm usually taking longer and on average adds another 15-20 minutes onto the journey time.

Edited by WaveyDavey

Newarthill to Paisley approximately 30 miles Via mainly the A8/M8 or the M73/M74 depending on mood and traffic...

As most of the journey the motorway has a speed limit of 50 or 60, average speed cameras for 50 on a lot of it owing to upgrade work, I set my cruise control to 50mph and leaving the house at 5:45 I'm In work for 6:30 at the latest for 07:00 start ... leaving the house at 6:45 for an 08:00 start I'm lucky to make it and struggle to park the car so for both I tend to just get in for the 6:30 mark... it's roughly the same coming home at 7 or 8pm although the 8pm finish is slightly worse ... the worst is the 3pm finish once a month on a Wednesday when it can't take 90 minutes to get home ...

I'm in the Stockport/Manchester area and for some reason a Wednesday is always much busier.