My car is jinxed.

I've had my front wheel damaged... Now it's the glove box.

Mummy dearest wanted to go shopping, so I took her, she jumps in piles all of the empty shopping bags in, across her legs and off we go, get into town she pulls all of the bags out and the one bag that has bloody zipper on on it does a lovely 1-1¼" wide graze up the glove box leaving a lovely set of white unwanted lines up it.

She says "Oh never mind, it'll rub off"... NO It :swear:  well won't you've scratched it! She has been barred from my car from now on for my sanity and to protect the car from anymore damage.

Any ideas on how to remove or disguise them or how much a glove box cover is please? 

Mummy dearest wanted to go shopping, so I took her, she jumps in piles all of the empty shopping bags in, across her legs and off we go, get into town she pulls all of the bags out and the one bag that has bloody zipper on on it does a lovely 1-1¼" wide graze up the glove box leaving a lovely set of white unwanted lines up it.

She says "Oh never mind, it'll rub off"... NO It :swear:  well won't you've scratched it! She has been barred from my car from now on for my sanity and to protect the car from anymore damage.

Any ideas on how to remove or disguise them or how much a glove box cover is please? 

Yeah, I'm sure there is free invoicing tools online! 

It remains a mystery a to me why women feel they have to jam all their bags in the footwell when there is a perfectly serviceable boot the the other end.

SWMBO does it all the time jams them between her legs and against the glovebox which is full of scratches now.

You can relax now - your car car is not jinxed...you're married, that's all;)

PS: somehow pride of being skilled in tinkering, loses its shine over time when you hear the "I'm sure daddy can fix it" more than anything else :@

• Like 1

You can relax now - your car car is not jinxed...you're married, that's all;)

PS: somehow pride of being skilled in tinkering, loses its shine over time when you hear the "I'm sure daddy can fix it" more than anything else :@

One little problem... I'm not married (nor do I want to be either!) 

It remains a mystery a to me why women feel they have to jam all their bags in the footwell when there is a perfectly serviceable boot the the other end.

well, i instructed my wife to put the bags in the boot and now the boot lid is scratched...... Edited by bytterga

Nothing beats the wife( need to watch the punctuation here..) Cleaning the dash, clock binnacle and the screen with the diamond ring turned into the palm. Not so easy getting those marks out.

Now I understand why folks like to get their luggage wrapped in clingfilm... It's to stop the rough handed luggage handlers damaging the aircraft trim.

I recommend you carry some clingfilm in the car from now on and wrap things that are likely to scratch the trim, before letting them get anywhere near the car!

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

She says "Oh never mind, it'll rub off"... NO It :swear: well won't you've scratched it! She has been barred from my car from now on for my sanity and to protect the car from anymore damage.

You can use a small blow torch. You can buy small ones that are aimed at electronic applications like shrinking heat shrink tubing.

Waft it over the scrach and it will disappear but be careful not to hold it in one place to long. There are plenty of videos on u tube explains this. I have tried it and it works well.

It depends on how deep the scrach is though, you can buy plastic polishes that claim to work but they make the localised area look different, more shiny. But they do remove the scratch. Toothpaste is Pritty good at doing the same job, sainsburys best buy.

You can try lapping paper, this ranges from 8000 to 80000 grit, and try rubbing it out. It's used for polishing optics, I have used the 3um and it's Pritty good. This is only good for very very fine scratches ones where light shows them up.

Edited by Alpha2110
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I now know for certain that this car is jinxed.

This afternoon, an OAP tried to squeeze through a gap between two parked cars and scraped the front of my car, damage to mine is in total about 17 cm long, no damage to the panels, damage to his NOWT apart from a light graze which rubbed off. 

post-107454-0-75105400-1463920508_thumb.jpg

I know it's not much but to say the least I'm absolutely gutted.

Edited by TheWanderer

We've swapped names & addresses etc, so no problems there, he was very apologetic. The problem being I have a £350 XS on my car, so with the work not probably going to cost more than £200, it's not worth bothering with via insurance.

However I've got AutoProtect on my car, which is for minor scuffs like this and I'll pop off to the dealer tomorrow to see if we can initiate the policy and get it done via that, it says damage within a 15cm diameter, well I think it will just about fall within that, so if it does it will be money well spent. Otherwise it'll be done by Chips Away & the OAP will be getting a bill from them.

You won't pay excess if it's not your fault

Correct, but its still a claim you'd have to declare for the next five years and it will bring a loaded premium along with it.

I have scratches on my front bumper which I need to get repaired. Quoted £80 from a spray shop which I know the local skoda garage use.

Also just found a deal on Groupon for £15. One panel scratch repair and paint.

There's a lot of this about. Unfortunately I came back to mine like this outside the local M&S!! No number left unsurprisingly. c54eeabfc0489de3b606f9e07b0fa8ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a lot of this about. Unfortunately I came back to mine like this outside the local M&S!! No number left unsurprisingly. c54eeabfc0489de3b606f9e07b0fa8ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worst is that a lot of the offenders are oblivious to the damage they can cause. Hazard to other road users.

Worst is that a lot of the offenders are oblivious to the damage they can cause. Hazard to other road users.

I was absolutely gutted. Car is only 8 months old. I've done all I can keep it unblemished, then this. I full on sulked for about two days. Hopefully a smart repair can do the trick. Edited by Skodev