Farewell to my vrs tsi and Skoda members...

The time has come to part with my vrs and today I waved bye bye to it. Having owned the car for a year the positives outweighed the negatives by a mile, i washed and waxed the car every week religiously and kept it immaculate, however on 3 occasions in total some irresponsible people caused damage to it 1st a Dent on front of bonnet that was repaired then someone scuffed the bumper and drove off whilst I was parked up which I got repaired then the straw that broke the camels back was 2 weeks ago I returned to the car to find a door handle Dent in my door, this was it for me no matter where I parked it out of the way there is always some absolute ****** to damage it and always having anxiety when I Park in busy car parks etc I'd had enough.

Today I sold the car (the value these Skodas lose is disgusting) and stuck to my guns and bought a car that will give anything a run for its money in a car park war! I purchased a 2004 volvo s60

Well good luck.. but u have me worried as im just about to plunge into the 230..is there something else other than the shopping trolley /car door walloping brigade thats driving u into an older Volvo?

Not that its any of my business lol..just hope nothing to do with the car per se...as i already said ..all the best in whatever u drive.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just fed up of everything in general, I couldn't enjoy the car at all which is what I bought it for, pot holes everywhere harsh ride, there's not a stretch of motorway anywhere over 15 miles without either roadworks with 50mph or smart motorways with 50mph and you cannot leave a car anywhere now without some ****** banging it and driving off. I drove the volvo home today and immediately knew I'd made right decision it cruises far better than the vrs on these dodgy roads and Road noise is none existent! I wish you all the best if luck and hope you get to enjoy your cars more than I did!

Regards. Graeme

• Like 2

Bummer about the love notes on your VRS. The S60 is an excellent choice for refinement without breaking the bank. The 04's have the best seats Volvo has made to this date, except for the new XC90 but that's in a completely different league. 

Be sure to check the crankcase is in working order, I belive the oil change interval here in Sweden was 30000 km on those model years, which lead to oil sludge. 

To be fair the issue could affect any car you care about, but don't blame you.

I wouldn't want to see marks on my other car the Fabia but if you were going to it would make sense to be on the older car if that makes sense.

I did get the octy to replace the fabia but haven't, still kept it as its still handy in that regard and keep the octy for "best" so to speak !

Thanks for the advice, yes I paid very little for the volvo to get me from A to B and I have ended up really liking the drive it's so comfortable and refined it's unreal, I feel like I'm in a 4x4 except the height, and vrsant I'd just had enough really I don't care if someone bangs the volvo really but I kept the octy absolutely immaculate and on 3 different occasions someone marked or dented it resulting in it costing me to repair so just decided enough is enough. Years back I had an impreza and although it was a pain to drive around town when you got out on a run you could enjoy it a bit and put your foot down once in a while. This was why I bought the octy as it had great looks huge space for the family and when I was alone on a run I could throw it in sport and have a bit of fun, however this just was not the case as there is absolutely nowhere nowadays without either a load of potholes a 50mph limit, roadworks or a speed camera and it didn't take me long to realise it was pointless sacrificing comfort and refinement for looks and power and handling when in the end ultimately none of these you actually get as other people see to the looks and police / highways agency see to the rest. Where as with the volvo at least I can enjoy the comfort and not snake all over avoiding potholes! Real big shame really.

I understand totally when you mean. Had mine over 6 months and so far it's had something done to it 4 times. Including my manager reversing into me.

Yes roads are terrible added with speed bumps, take some of the pleasure out of it.

I came from an 04 s60 to the vrs.

I miss my volvo for its comfort and refinement. Those seats are like nothing on earth. Comfiest thing I've ever sat in and that's a fact.

Enjoy it. What model is it? I had the D5. That 5 cylinder engine used to growl when you floored it.

I came from an 04 s60 to the vrs.

I miss my volvo for its comfort and refinement. Those seats are like nothing on earth. Comfiest thing I've ever sat in and that's a fact.

Enjoy it. What model is it? I had the D5. That 5 cylinder engine used to growl when you floored it.

Yep exactly the same 04 D5 and I'm not gonna lie I absolutely love driving it its absolutely amazing to drive!

2004 Volvo S60.... Did you lose your job as well?!

In many many ways the volvo is a far superior car to the vrs. I miss mine.

Just because he's gone from a vrs to a volvo means nothing more than he clearly has good taste in cars, going from one very nice quick car to another.

The volvo D5 engine is a bit of a beast.

When a man is tempted by a Volvo, a man is tired of life.

When a man is tempted by a 2004 vehicle that is not a super car/performance legend, he's skint.

Edited by fiisch

When a man is tempted by a 2004 vehicle that is not a super car/performance legend, he's skint.

When a man comes on a car forum to poke fun at another car enthusiast he's clearly devoid of any real character and shouldn't be a badge snob driving a Skoda. I bet when someone asks what car you drive you say "VRS" and don't simply say "skoda" therefore that ivory tower your preaching from is just an illusion in your own mind.

Edited by Scribbler
  • Like 1

I'd like to see you have that same opinion if you had a drive in the s60 t6 awd.

Let's see if you're tired of life after experiencing that 'volvo'

With a 2004 s60 you can't be skint because these things cost a fortune to maintain.

Mine hardly ever put a foot wrong in the 9 years I had it but when ever it went into the garage it was always a minimum £500 bill.

Let's face facts. You're simply jumping on the band wagon of saying volvo is an old man's car. You've clearly never owned or driven one because if you had then you wouldn't have that opinion. I was 29 when I got mine and got all the same ridicule. The idiots soon shut their mouths when they couldn't keep up in their apparent 'hot hatch'

Don't judge a man by the car he drives.

Edited by flyingpigvrs

Fiisch... Those posts above make you sound like a right knob.

I know some very wealthy people that drive around in older cars. Doesn't make them skint.

XC60 was my preferred choice but it was just too much money, even for a 2 year old one, plus now gone back to 4 cyl.... Hence the VRS coming. That 5 cyl D5 engine is just superb, possibly the nicest diesel engine I've driven - so smooth & not like a tractor! Good luck Graeme, you have made a good choice!

Fiisch... Those posts above make you sound like a right knob.

I know some very wealthy people that drive around in older cars. Doesn't make them skint.

One might suggest that one of the reasons a lot of wealthy people drive around in battered old cars (which is true BTW) is because they have the good sense not to pour tens of thousands of pounds into an asset which depreciates by 33% as soon as the dealer hands over the keys, or which can be left in public places to get keyed or driven into. You don't get rich by writing cheques as they say. And that's notwithstanding the old money driving round their landed estates in battered old Defenders.

As someone mentions above the irony of a Skoda driver criticising someone for buying a Volvo is almost too delicious to contemplate. I thought the whole point was that we're NOT badge snobs here!

• Like 1

What confuses me is that the OP was prepared to take an enormous depreciation hit because of the high number of hits his well cared and liked car took in car parks.

I have no criticism of his replacement vehicle but unless it already carries battle scars, he already has such an obvious affection for it that I fear a similar reaction when it too suffers an incident.

I like my octavia, and I wash it when dirty, and annoyed when I then find another trolley prang, but life happens and it is just a car?

Hope you enjoy driving your new car Graemer and I totally understand where you're coming from. In the next few weeks my Octavia VRS will be swapped for a Yeti 1.2 DSG for similar reasons.