Over-eager start/stop?

On the whole, I think I have the measure of the start/stop and it seems to work fairly well...however, on occasion it seems overly keen to cut and does so before I have come to a complete stop - usually in slow moving traffic or at a junction where I am slowing right down and readying to stop.

It starts up fine as soon as I lift off the brake a touch, but it would be better if it was a bit less keen...

Is there any tuning/tweaking I or the dealer can do? Any one else have this issue?

Edited by Item
  • Like 1

Mine is similar. I assume you have a DSG?

If I am approaching certain busy junctions - especially mini-roundabouts or very short slips onto dual carriageways, I turn the feature off. A couple of times, when I've needed a quick getaway, the car has hesitated - not good.

It's a shame one can't set the default to be off rather than on.

• Like 1

If I am approaching certain busy junctions - especially mini-roundabouts or very short slips onto dual carriageways, I turn the feature off. A couple of times, when I've needed a quick getaway, the car has hesitated - not good.

It's a shame one can't set the default to be off rather than on.

Yes I do! Sounds similar experience to me then.

Wouldn't have taken much to allow the driver to toggle it on/off rather than have it always default to on...

Still, it hasn't left me in a dangerous situation yet, though it does require a bit of "management" to ensure this is the case.

• Like 1

Yes I have the same issue, it seems to be a MY16 issue and mostly with DSG. Lot of people noticed the same thing with the new Superb. Can't say I noticed it on earlier Octy 3s and definitely did not have the same problem with a MY15 so all cars are not the same.

I would code it out using the voltage level but on occasion I find it useful.

Other Octys I have driven you can keep it running with light pressure on the brake, and just press a bit harder to cut the engine, but the one I have now is nigh on impossible to do that with.

Really hard to prove it is a 'fault' as such but if you come to a stop still turning it can snatch the steering a bit as you lose assistance. Not a great issue but can be a bit of a surprise if you are not used to it. Something is telling it that it has stopped while the wheels are still moving even if only a small amount.

I tend to knock it off as a matter of course now but it still catches me out sometimes. Why it can't work like other ones I don't know. There maybe a speed or pressure threshold that can be coded somewhere but it doesn't bother me that much now.

I noticed that on my test drive (TDI DSG vRS). The start stop would kick in before you had come to a complete stop.  If you use 3-stage braking it seems to anticipate you coming to a complete halt and switches off so if the situation ahead of you chnages and you then pull away you lose a second while the car restarts.  Not good when you are pulling onto a major roundabout.  When my car arrives I'll be having it switched off when I get VCDS

Is it possible set up like this to protect the clutches?

It is a distinct possibility, but the car still has the old brake bite point to disengage the clutch fully. With S/S off if you come to a halt with light brake pressure the car engine is doing about 1K rpm and feels like it is pulling a bit and slipping. If you press the brake harder you feel the 'pull' go and the revs drop to around 700.

It is just the S/S cut off point is earlier than this. I am sure it is intentional for some reason but I cant help thinking it does not do the clutches much good when you come to a slow roll at a junction then go only to find the engine has died and had to spring back into life putting quite a jolt through the transmission.

Switching it off seems to be the only solution, just wish it remembered the setting

Its not a dsg thing - my MY16 230 manual works the same - below 4mph coming to a stop it'll switch off before you're stationary.

On a manual though its not a problem as it'll re-start as soon as you depress the clutch (or keep it pressed if you know you're just about to get going again) - agree on a dsg it'd be a pain as you don't have enough pedals :)

Yet another reason why i'm happier in manual.

• Like 3

Mine seems to cut the engine at <1mph, so it can be still moving ever so slightly when it switches off. Personally it's never bothered me, and i'm used to it now in anycase. If for whatever reason I dont want the stop-start, it's easy enough to just press the button.

• Like 1

Mine does this on my manual too but if I'm in traffic and stopping a lot, I just turn it off and then back on once I have cleared the traffic/road works area

With a manual it should only turn off in Neutral and with the clutch pedal not pressed, thats how mine works???

It's the one thing that puts me off auto's it doesn't matter if it's Merc, Audi or BMW. In my opinion they should wait at least 3-5 seconds before stopping this gives you enough time to deactivate on a roundabout or parallel park without it stopping  :dull:

With a manual it should only turn off in Neutral and with the clutch pedal not pressed, thats how mine works???

That's how mine does work but if I'm in road works or traffic, I don't like sitting with my foot on the clutch but if you cant see and disengage a gear, by the time you're off the clutch, the traffic is moving again hence why I turn stop/start off so its not continuously firing up.

• Like 1

Is it possible set up like this to protect the clutches?

I would hazard a guess that the reason it doesn't remeber your choice is because StopStart is required to meet the emissions figures homologated by the manufacturer.

If StopStart can be turned off then it is an "optional" feature and cannot be used in the emissions figures.

The Europe emissions cycle which has several long idle phases is the main reason StopStart was developed.

• Like 2

That's how mine does work but if I'm in road works or traffic, I don't like sitting with my foot on the clutch but if you cant see and disengage a gear, by the time you're off the clutch, the traffic is moving again hence why I turn stop/start off so its not continuously firing up.

I wouldn't worry about it keeping stopping the engine. I sit in Stop/Start traffic for 60% of my 20 mile commute and I jus let it do it's thing now.

• Like 1

I would hazard a guess that the reason it doesn't remeber your choice is because StopStart is required to meet the emissions figures homologated by the manufacturer.

If StopStart can be turned off then it is an "optional" feature and cannot be used in the emissions figures.

The Europe emissions cycle which has several long idle phases is the main reason StopStart was developed.

Yes I recon you're right and it is probably why the MY16 cars are a little more eager to cut the engine. Got to have an effect on the figures (well the ones they can't cheat with a defeat device anyway)

I know it wouldn't be allowed to be optional, doesn't stop me wishing though!!

I'd have thought it would be illegal for a set up like this as you don't have full control of the car, ie: no steering, no matter how briefly.

I've found that my Manual car will start itself back up if I let the car roll ( i.e. in Neutral, Clutch pedal not pressed) at approx walking pace it seems.

You still have steering even engine not running????

Unlock car.

Get in, seatbelt on.

Depress clutch, turn key.

Into first gear.

Stop/start OFF.

Handbrake off and away.

Or with KESSY

Pull door handle

Get in

Depress Clutch

Press button

Into first gear

handbrake off and away

With Manual I feel you have so much more control on when the car Stop/Starts, I just leave mine activated all the time, where as with a DSG I'd be forever swearing, switching it off and only activating it when I feel like it.