Well, mine is now booked in for them to have a look in a couple of weeks time as that's the earliest slot they have. 

No charge for the investigation which is nice, and they did say they would discuss costs once the diagnosis is confirmed. I will definitely be pushing for this to be done FOC as it's a known fault that first occurred about three or four weeks after the warranty time expired, but hopefully it won't come to a fight. Not sure whether to speak to Skoda CS now or wait. 

I did get asked where I had heard of this being a known problem and got treated with the usual scepticism that anything I'd read online could be correct. 

• 2 weeks later...

Booked in for the 16th.

4 occurrences in the last 2 months, but I've been lucky whereby the sleeve unsticks before it hits the red.

Now running Torque Pro when on longer journeys so I can see the temp creep and ease off if needed.

Will report back once the part is replaced to ensure all symptoms are gone for good :)

Well, it looks like I may be the newest member of this club. I bought a 63 plate 1.6 TDI last week as a used approved, about 53k on the clock, and I have had the same symptoms in very similar circumstances both today and yesterday. I'm not the happiest of bunnies. The car is now booked in with the dealers for a week Monday (the earliest date they could offer with a courtesy car) to be looked at.

A question to some of the earlier posters, who had their water pumps replaced. Did this fully resolve the issue for you guys, or did the problem return later?

17 hours ago, petecollier said:

I bought a 63 plate 1.6 TDI

Not sure if these have the same design of waterpump as the 2.0TDI, so your issue may be different.

A question to some of the earlier posters, who had their water pumps replaced. Did this fully resolve the issue for you guys, or did the problem return later?

Given the waterpump was the issue, having had it replaced with a revised design there have been no occurrences of the of it overheating since.

Edited by mbames

42 minutes ago, mbames said:

Given the waterpump was the issue, having had it replaced with a revised design there have been no occurrences of the of it overheating since.

Good to know. I always get a little concerned that the failure/malfunction of one component might lead to damage elsewhere that only becomes apparent later.

Well, I think that's me done with Skoda in general and Trust Skoda specifically.

Left the car with them for it to be investigated at 8am this morning and was told that they've "not done a water pump out of warranty, as they all fail before then".

I didn't get a call back till 1:45 and was (not at all) surprised to hear that it *is* indeed a faulty water pump, having been greeted with a huge amount of skepticism when I'd booked it in.
I was told that the best their computer said that they could do was a 50% good will gesture towards parts and labour, despite this having started when it was 3 weeks outside warranty, had been serviced four times, and only having done 41k.
I was also told that they needed a decision in the next half an hour to be able to get the car back to me today.

They suggested I phone Skoda customer services, which I did, only to be told that they have no idea why I'd been advised to do that.
According to Skoda CS, the retailer would be getting the 50% from the factory and it would be their decision whether to go any higher than that.
They were very clear that if the retailer wanted to make a contribution, then they would need to speak to Skoda about getting them to cover the extra cost, but were hinting very strongly that this would happen without much difficulty.
Skoda CS offered to phone the retailer and discuss it, and I know that they did indeed do this.

Twenty minutes later I phoned the retailer, intending to just get them to do the work and I'd argue about the costs later as I need a reliable car. I couldn't be put through so left a message and was assured I'd be called back.

Having heard nothing after an hour I phoned again and was told that 1) Nobody had told them I called. 2) The initial offer is as good as it gets without speaking to the service manager, which they hadn't done, and 3) It was probably too late to get the work done today but they would phone me back once they had checked with him and the workshop. They were quite insistent that the 50% offer was coming out of their pocket and not Skoda's, so someone isn't quite telling the truth here. 

Having heard nothing after an hour I phoned *again* and was told that yep, it's definitely too late to get it done today, and they have no news around covering the cost so I've had to leave the car with them till tomorrow.

Due to someone at work having a medical issue in the family, which I've only just found out about, I *really* need to be in the office tomorrow.

38 months through a 42 month PCP is not really the best time to be annoying a long term repeat customer who is considering a new car.

• Like 1

Well, it happened to me today,1.6 tdi, 2weeks before we go away with the caravan????????? after 10  miles it hit 130???? stopped for 10 mins, moved off and again it hit 130 fter a few minutes, let it cool and this time it stayed at 90. Still under warranty but as we live some way from the dealer am hoping that we can use a local dealer, we really thought we had bought a rouble free car

39 minutes ago, BrynMawr said:

Well, it happened to me today,1.6 tdi, 2weeks before we go away with the caravan????????? after 10  miles it hit 130???? stopped for 10 mins, moved off and again it hit 130 fter a few minutes, let it cool and this time it stayed at 90. Still under warranty but as we live some way from the dealer am hoping that we can use a local dealer, we really thought we had bought a rouble free car

Yep, you'll be fine with any dealer and they all seem to be well versed in pump faults so you should have time to get it fixed before your trip. 

On 5/12/2017 at 13:47, Mr_James_88 said:

Booked in for the 16th.

4 occurrences in the last 2 months, but I've been lucky whereby the sleeve unsticks before it hits the red.

Now running Torque Pro when on longer journeys so I can see the temp creep and ease off if needed.

Will report back once the part is replaced to ensure all symptoms are gone for good :)

Work all done by my dealer in Ellesmere Port, who I must say were brilliant.. No criticism or skepticism over the symptoms.  Car was booked in and waterpump replaced on Warrantee, no convo's over money.  It's a shame people on here are having such problems reporting this to their dealer.  My service manager absolutely knew of this issue.

Car has been great since, no symptoms to report.  I had a "Do Not Wash" on my job card, so can't even report any other faults or misgivings from my experience with Mitchell Group.

On Mon May 02 2016 at 13:49, Auric Goldfinger said:

Thanks for that James, mind put at rest.

Thanks James have the same problem on my car so will now change the water pump amd hopefully will stop it as it always does it on the motorway 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, 1.6 Tdi Mk7 Golf has same issue. Someone kindly posted link on mk7 forums for me to see. Car now at indy garage, it's out of warranty anyway. 2014 with 85k on clock. I intend to use indy with genuine parts. Of cause timing belt will be replaced as well. How much rough cost on timing belt and w/p with genuine kit at indy for 1.6 tdi? 

I am quite happy it's happened here in UK, as I just returned from 3.5k EU trip and 2 days later, pump failed. 

Mines booked in with skoda, 2014 with 32k on the clock. They have quoted £720 which is shocking, so ive told them i expect skoda to cover a good deal of that cost. A local indy has quoted me just over £350 for the same work. The dealer has told me the part is on back order so at present im driving very carefully with the heating on max!

22 minutes ago, bakili said:

£720 is a joke. VW main dealer charges £484 for water pump and timing belt kit. 

Totally agree, ill update when i get the final figure. Ive bought cars that cost less than £720!

50 minutes ago, ployb said:

Just checked the skoda website, it lists a cambelt and water pump at £485 . So ill be looking for at least half that cost for a known common fault.

The small print says for cars "over 3 years old", so for anyone with a car which this fails within the 3 year warranty window, but you are over on miles, they can basically charge what they like - unless you go into battle and get it FOC (which seems to take significantly more effort than it should).

My car recently overheated whilst driving slowly in congested traffic. I was towing at the time and the car was fully loaded, a/c on etc, so I put it down to a one off. Normality was resumed when I got moving i.e., airflow through the radiator. 

It was fine until the recent hot weather in slow traffic and the temp gauge was almost in the red. To reduce the demand on the cooling system, the a/c cuts out until things settle down.

Booked it in and the radiator fan was replaced. No mention of a water pump problem. However, people with defective water pumps seem to report overheating at all speeds.