Embarrassing Story Time...

I went out to the carpark after work to drive home on Friday.

I was walking and chatting with a colleague so was slightly distracted.

I popped the boot on my car (I have the spring modification, so the boot fully opens) and I put my bag down in the boot.

With it being a new car my colleague took interest and asked about it and I shut the boot and the car locked as I had only used the middle key button to open the boot.

Once he left I went to unlock my car and go home.

However, it wasn't just my bag I had left in the boot...

I had left my key in the boot and the car had locked itself.

Needless to say I was rather annoyed at 7:30pm on a Friday!

Luckily a family member was able to bring my spare key from my house to me, but I might not be so lucky if this ever happens again.

So my question is this:

Is it possible that when you unlock the boot it actually unlocks the entire car? and when you shut the boot the car stays open?

I have had a look in the manual and the car set-up and I found nothing.

I guess you could unlock the car with the unlock button and then press the boot release, but I was hoping there is a more elegant solution?

I hope someone can help!

Regards,

Alex

(And yes, you are allowed to laugh haha)

Edited by ayouden

Isn't that just called unlocking the car? ;)

The elegant solution would be to ensure you have your key in your possession when utilising the Boot Only function.

I press the Lock button whilst removing items out of the boot; shopping, dogs/dog walking paraphernalia (normally all wet or muddy), so that I know the car is locked when I close the hatch. And as much as I try and remember to check I have the key on me, I know one day I'm going to lock the key in the boot!

Oh and if you think you have problems, go over to the S3 section and check on the threads about the Electronic Tailgate! ;)

Edited by Guest

I do understand your anguish. I was the holding the key in my hand when I closed the boot and I dropped the key just as the boot left my hand. Guess where the key landed - in the boot.

In my case it was not an Octy but a large American car with an enormous trunk. It was a company pool car in California and on a Sunday at a shopping Mall. I also knew too that it only had one key.

Called a locksmith, who got a door open after several hours and great expense.

So when I found that my current Octavia had auto lock of the boot I started a thread on here and the clear conclusion was "make sure your key is in your pocket before you close the boot". In fact I don't use the button now but I see your point as you have fitted auto rise to your boot lid.

Easily done , when I had a suitcase delete I put siuitcase in my boot and keys fell into boot as I was shutting it, walk home 5 miles to pick up spares then cycle back! as peaople say once you do it you don`t  again

Sorry to hear you've done this; I've very almost done it a few times myself.  

Slight hijack, but what is needed to do this mod? I remember reading about this a a while back but never got round to fitting it.

Am I missing something or what but I don't see any problems with all that.

I got 3 buttons on my key:

1) UNLOCK - unlocks everything;

2) LOCK - locks everything;

3) UNLOCK BOOT - unlocks boot only. When you close it then cars locks itself.

I never use the 3rd one and I'm quite happy with everything. Don't say that car keys are different in UK :)

Am I missing something or what but I don't see any problems with all that.

I got 3 buttons on my key:

1) UNLOCK - unlocks everything;

2) LOCK - locks everything;

3) UNLOCK BOOT - unlocks boot only. When you close it then cars locks itself.

I never use the 3rd one and I'm quite happy with everything. Don't say that car keys are different in UK :)

This is exactly right. Same as mine.

But I am a lazy person so I want the boot to open automatically for when I arrive at my car.

This is why I use the 'Unlock Boot' option.

In an ideal world I would like the 'unlock boot' button to open the car as well and leave it open as not to lock my keys in there!

This is exactly right. Same as mine.

But I am a lazy person so I want the boot to open automatically for when I arrive at my car.

This is why I use the 'Unlock Boot' option.

In an ideal world I would like the 'unlock boot' button to open the car as well and leave it open as not to lock my keys in there!

It might be possible via carista/VCDS.  I know that I've change mine so that a single press of the unlock button unlocks the whole car, not just the driver's.

There aren't any options in aware of to change the behaviour of the boot button on the keys. I asked a while back on rosstechs forums and they couldn't help either.

Only alternative is a two button remote as that solves the problem ;-)

• Like 1

1 - unlock boot

2 - put keys in pocket

3 - do stuff

4 - shut boot

5 - take keys out pocket

Hands are dangerous things, they do have a habit of doing thing to their own malicious agenda.

I've never locked my keys in the car but I regularly just drop things if I'm not paying attention.

• Like 1

BTW, once my car locked itself...just without any visible reason.

Since then I have a certain fear of leaving the key inside (it hasn't happened again but you never know).

You just have to press two buttons instead of one.

As you approach the car unlock the whole car, then press the boot unlock button to get the boot to open by itself.

My boss did this to a mk1 Focus we were driving.... the RAC were able to electronically open the boot and return the keys to us.  I didn't let my boss come with me to any other jobs, as he made us look unprofessional to the customer!

I did this once in my Vectra C... while visiting parents 180 miles away...

Was told to smash the window... but I couldn't put myself through it and replace the tinted windows.. So I got on the train.. 4 hours later..collected my key from a neighbour who drove it to the station.. and got on the next train back to my parents..(needed the car so couldn't courier/special deliver the spare the next day) 

1 - unlock boot

2 - put keys in pocket

3 - do stuff

4 - shut boot

5 - take keys out pocket

Hands are dangerous things, they do have a habit of doing thing to their own malicious agenda.

I've never locked my keys in the car but I regularly just drop things if I'm not paying attention.

2.5 decide it's a bit warm, take coat off and place in boot.

That's what happened to me with my bosses brand new focus a few years ago. Rac man airbagged the top of a back door out and bound the window down. The door never quite sat flush again, and no one ever noticed.

• Like 1

2.5 decide it's a bit warm, take coat off and place in boot.

That's what happened to me with my bosses brand new focus a few years ago. Rac man airbagged the top of a back door out and bound the window down. The door never quite sat flush again, and no one ever noticed.

Lol yeah that's the sort of thing I would do.

Take great care not to drop keys in the boot then forget and lock my jacket in there. Yep I'd do that. In fact I probably will now my evil subconscious knows about it.

I cleaned my car at work once as I was working late for the week. Quite some time passed and I finished, i closed the boot where I had put my keys

Phone call to wife who came the next day (50 mile round trip) and we spent a few hours together. 

I have since done it at least one more time on the drive at home. 

I've never used the middle button to unlock my boot simply because of the fear of locking the key in the car, I always just unlock the car ... even sitting in the driveway at home.

there is a coding option with vcds to allow the boot button to work but it won't lock the boot afterwards. It does however arm the alarm

On a 2012 Mk6 golf this was how it was set up from the factory, my mate thought his lock was faulty. Tried several other cars at the dealer at the time and they all did it

I will try and find out what the coding is for that

• Like 1