VRS 220 MPG

As I was doing a long journey the other week I thought I would set the addaptive cruise control to 70 mph and see what mpg I could get.  The rev counter sat at 2000 rpm and to my surprise over a journey of about 200 miles I got 45 mpg.  What have other people achieved?  The recording  for the long term mpg which is about 4 months is 36 mpg which is a mix of driving. 

51.6, was during my commute home which was 49 miles. Doesn't really mean much but it was funny(ish) to see on the dash. That was short term, obviously. Long term, umm, low 40s.

Yeah I usually get high 30's to low 40's on a 40 mile commute on A-roads.

Strangely my consumption has gone up since I put my summer wheels back on. The factory fit tyres must be creating more friction than my winters.

In the same circumstances (steady 70mpg) my 1.4tsi manual estate would get 49mpg so  little difference really.

Both engines would burn similar amounts of fuel to produce the 20kW (figure plucked out of the air) needed to push near identical cars through the air at 70mph.

At lower speeds and in urban environments then the lower frictional losses and lighter weight of my engine/car should achieve markedly better consumption than yours.

Of course your car has much more performance/increased consumption potential, just a question of where/when/how you unleash it :)

Edited by Gerrycan

Best I've seen is just over 40, I normally get around 34-40 on my commute which is 5 miles stop start -> 15 miles motorway -> 3 miles mixed

As I was doing a long journey the other week I thought I would set the addaptive cruise control to 70 mph and see what mpg I could get.  The rev counter sat at 2000 rpm and to my surprise over a journey of about 200 miles I got 45 mpg.  What have other people achieved?  The recording  for the long term mpg which is about 4 months is 36 mpg which is a mix of driving. 

Go a vRS TDI Manual here.

On longish journeys i.e.100 miles plus I get in low 50's with average driving i.e. Not ragging and not like a granny . I have normal cruise control on as I do most of the time even when driving in 30MPH zones.

What did you have the driving mode set too??

Get similar to xpower on my 22 mile commute to work in the same sort of driving circumstances. My average MPH is grim after 3K at 19MPH  :dull: .

Edited by davitc

Stop all this talk, you make me wish I had gone for the petrol!!  Could've saved myself some money over the diesel vRS and gotten more poke!  :notme::D

I get late 40s but I'm mainly on my own and 20mile journey each way to work with open roads. 

Mind you if I had to drive more conservatively to get close to that it in a petrol it would make me go doolally!

• Like 1

Did a journey on Tuesday from South Devon to Bedfordshire.  Out of curiosity I put the cruise control on 70 and despite numerous roadworks and stoppages got 46.4!  Overall average tends to be 40-ish in summer and 38 in winter. 

• Like 1

In answer to Davidtc I had the car set in normal mode, I have never actually tried economy mode, I wouldn't have bought a petrol if I was looking for maximum mpg. Coming home I switched back to normal driving between 70 and 120 mph.  Still managed 37mpg and that was with a couple of harsh accelerations to  shake off a Merc. Always makes me laugh when you get Mercs and BMW's on you bumper trying to intimidate and then you see their face when the road is clear and you boot it and leave them for dead, it's priceless, I must get a rear camera.

• Like 2

I assume the 70+ up

In answer to Davidtc I had the car set in normal mode, I have never actually tried economy mode, I wouldn't have bought a petrol if I was looking for maximum mpg. Coming home I switched back to normal driving between 70 and 120 mph.

I assume the 70+ to 120 mph was on your private road

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

I don't know of any private roads around my way long enough lol.  Hopefully going to get my Mk1 1380 Rally engine Mini finished in the next month or two and then take it to Wiscombe park. 

I'm averaging about 39-40mpg in my TSI VRS. Really quite happy with that too!

422935.png

I don't think I'd go for a Diesel next time on my 22mile (50% stop/start) commute. Jus doesnt make sense and no stupid DPF to deal with  :envy:

Edited by davitc
  • Like 1

In my TSI my average was 32 and my best run in exi mode was 49. Now I have a 4x4 VRS and my average is 35 and the best I've gotten out of it is 47.

Back to petrol once this is 2 years old

Very interesting to see your data laid out like that Orville.  Mine's pretty much the same and has only ever had Momentum 99.

I was worried about mine at first, but the two biggest factors are my htw-wth, and undoubtedly my driving style.  I can get it up into the early 40's, but only on a relatively clear run, but for the most part it's late 20's at best, as per my Fuelly.

Gaz 

• Like 1

My car is the L&K 1.8 TSI 182 PSI estate so a little different from the VRS but I thought I would share my experience on my drive from home in West Sussex to the Northern Costa Blanca last week. I should say that my car had just passed the 8,000 miles mark and was fully laden requiring re-setting of tyre pressures.

Despite the fuel crisis in France my total journey was 1,017 miles of which about 900 miles were on motorways and I was on cruise control most of the time set at a little over 130 kph in France and a little less in Spain where the speed limit is 120 kph.

My average speed was just over 100 kph ( 56mph) which included a number of heavy traffic areas and local driving.

I was pretty pleased with my average fuel consumption of 38.1 mpg considering a fully laden car and cruise control and air conditioning which I think are a drain on consumption.