Insurance Renewal - Anyone actually get a decent quote?!

The same happened 

Just had me renewal through from Admiral this morning...no claims, points or anything untoward over the last year.

£390 increase on policy!!!

I've done a bit shopping about on compare the market, and managed to get it to around what I paid next year, rang Admiral and they can miraculously reduce their price...but they can get stuffed.

Surprisingly, the best quote I've got is from Direct Line, and with the added bonus on being protected from uninsured drivers (more commonly known as Tw@ts)

Anyway....anyone had an experience with Direct Line - would you recommend them as an insurer if so?

Cheers.

The same happened to me a f6 years back. I hadn't had NCB for years after using company pool cars 39 years of age.

1st year insurance was £700 for Volvo V40 T4, 2nd year it went up by £300 even though I had accumulated 30% NCB they said it was because all the un insured loss, I said that wasn't my fault and sold my car because didn't really need it.

After Admiral had given me the "biggest discount(s) they possibly could", and made my price "as low as it could get", when I informed them I was leaving them for a cheaper company (with, I might add, a better and more comprehensive policy) and they were to cancel my policy, they miraculously managed to apply yet more discounts to match my cheaper quote.

Lying and robbing swines the lot of them, and nothing more. I have also breifly witnessed the way some of their (Direct Line's) call centre staff get treated, and it's appalling.

OT: I have no experience as a customer with direct line, but I know you can usually get reasonable insurance being a member of the IAM :)

Edited by FluffyEyeball

I'm with LV. Really good company. £240 full comp full NVR

Had a non fault wen some bird in my work carpark hit my car. LV sorted it right out. Even got a better hire car as I was due some surgery on my spine. V accommodating company

Insurance is a commodity you do not know what you are getting until  you are forced to call upon it  in making a claim. I find the rise of dealing  with Call Centres not exactly a good thing, I prefer to deal with an established company such as MORE THAN or Aviva who have to be competitive in order  to  stay in business. My insurance premium did go up quite a lot this year  for no reason of mine but I managed to get it down to the same level as the previous  renewal, especially by increasing the voluntary Accidental Damage  excess. Reasons for the increases this year are the rampant false backlash/neck  injuries  and in London especially,  the latest scam of vehicles being stolen by a bogus pick-up / break-down lorry  being used to load  a car  and be off with it.  And don't forget, those who do effect insurance have to pay for  those who don't. I don't know what the fines are now but at one time a figure of £ 250 was the norm for someone caught without insurance, so it was worth their taking the risk of not insuring. Supposedly 20% of cars in London are not insured. At one time a hit and run accident/ injury  was unheard of but for reasons some of us can figure, it is now quite commonplace.

I've got an Octavia vrs 230, and i looked at some quotes about a month ago and they seem fine, I just did a check today seeing this post and I've noticed a drastic increase also of around 400-500 per year.

Manic.

I've decided to go to Direct Line - even though Admiral miraculously were able to match the cost in the end, the cover I've got from Direct Line is better!

Thanks all for the advice!

As with all insurance companies just watch your back. DL are far more interested in avoiding paying out that helping their customers.

When I had a "fault" claim they even tried to claim my insurance wasn't valid because when I had my alloys refurbished I had the colour changed.

Funny how they forgot my conversation with them about it when I had it done. Luckily I had dates and times.

Had a renewal notice from tesco asking for £501 for my 65 reg VRS tdi 184, protected NCD, spouse insured, 60 year old male, no accidents or claims 42 years driving, couldn't believe my eyes. My wife has Citigo Black edition insured with quote me happy so went to their website and got £40 off for second car with them and a price of £301. £200 cheaper £0 voluntary excess & £80 compulsory excess. Could have got cheaper on the comparison sites but it would have been with £275 compulsory excess and £250 voluntary to get a premium of £260, so if I'd had an accident my outlay would have been £785 for the year as opposed to £381 with QMH, not that I'm planning to have an accident. Insurance market is mad, probably insurers blaming Brexit !

As with all insurance companies just watch your back. DL are far more interested in avoiding paying out that helping their customers.

When I had a "fault" claim they even tried to claim my insurance wasn't valid because when I had my alloys refurbished I had the colour changed.

Funny how they forgot my conversation with them about it when I had it done. Luckily I had dates and times.

Yeah that's the thing...would any insurance company be any different?

Incidentally, how on earth would an insurance company know what colour your wheels were meant to be?! Unless you had them refurbished bright pink or something...loads of cars now come with black or darker wheels. My L&K has diamond cut and anthracite wheels, but it's right on the MY 15/16 change, and the MY16 cars just have plain silver wheels!

Yeah that's the thing...would any insurance company be any different?

Incidentally, how on earth would an insurance company know what colour your wheels were meant to be?! Unless you had them refurbished bright pink or something...loads of cars now come with black or darker wheels. My L&K has diamond cut and anthracite wheels, but it's right on the MY 15/16 change, and the MY16 cars just have plain silver wheels!

Well although it was a long time ago elephant/admiral were brilliant when I had two fault claims literally a month apart (21yr old - past test 6months before).

DL on the other hand were dreadful and desperate to find anything. Like as I previously stated when they were more interest in if I'd declared swmbos accident when she wasn't involved in the accident at all.

As for wheels - their "repair" centre (I use the word loosely) noticed they were non-standard colour. They didn't notice the fact the wipers didn't work when they dropped it off in the rain, or that the bonnet wouldn't shut right causing the alarm to go off at 2am. Or that they'd ordered the wrong front bumper (apparently a normal bumper doesn't fit a vRS - who'd have thought) causing even more of a delay repairing the car and me having to fight for a replacement car.

But to answer your question - I suspect you're right they're pretty much all sc*mbags. The biggest issue I have with DL is they advertise they're something totally different.

Edited by gullyg

My renewal's come in at £370, but Quote Me Happy (Aviva) have come in at £220, which is interesting.  I'm waiting to hear from my current insurer to see what they can do.

I've just asked about if I fit the DTUK FSR tuning box sitting next to me and it's going to add a 25% loading to my insurance.  I'm sure I read someone on here just had to pay a £25 admin fee to Aviva, but typically, I can't find that post now   :dull:

Gaz

Edit:  Update - quote from Aviva accepted at £230. Me (Comp, SD&P + business), my wife, £80 excess, legal (£100k),  two claims (one fault, one non fault), no current convictions. Nearest my current insurer could get it to was £309 with a £250 excess.

Edited by V6TDI

May I make a word of caution, in that some Insurers, especially those associated with Lloyds of London may well have an exclusion of while engaging in a criminal act and which can be very difficult , such as driving under the influence of drink or drugs, which I think can include those administered by your doctor. So if you cause damage, or injury , to a third party, you may end up paying for it yourself, even if the Insurer has to cough up initially. Own damage obviously would not be covered. Motor insurance is very complicated and the number of times I have heard someone say they have Fully Comprehensive, so everything is covered. The use of the vehicle is very problematical, the person driving may not be the one using the car.

It is becoming increasingly obvious that to keep insurance prices reasonable you have to shop around every year. I was with Direct Line, and very pleased with them. Never had to claim, but all my dealings were painless. This year the price rose beyond what I wanted to pay when I changed from the Yeti to the VRS.

I ended up with Adrian Flux, with a lower premium for the same cover. Very helpful, and knowledgeable people every time I have called.

The shame is that no doubt I will have to do the ring round again next year to stop the price inevitable rise.

When will insurers recognise and reward loyalty? When will they stop penalising it?!

• 3 months later...

just sorted my insurance out today for my new vRS230, been with Hastings a while but they wanted £495 this time so told them to forget it! cheapest I could find was £306 with legal protections and protected NCB with MoreThan. not too bad..

I've been with Direct Line for a few years. Usually the renewal shows an increase but when I get a quote from them online its usually less than the previous year and they will match it.

But this year I changed to my VRS just before the renweal, and it was a lot less than my old Insignia :)

I'm changing my Insignia for a Deisel vRS tomorrow - Aviva want to give me 40p back to cover till Feb :-)

I always use Quidco, always shop around, sometimes go online for a "new" quote with current ins

It does seem premiums has gone up this year for all, I thought it was just me.

I was cheaper to renew with AXA for another year on my vRS TSI after going through all the price comparison websites - that's the first time that's happened!

Had to change the policy details for getting my 230 just yesterday and was able to do it all online, without any BS 'admin' fees that are usually associated with changing policy details. Premium only went up by £6.32 to, so thumbs-up for them.

+1 for Top Cashback or Quidco btw.

After Admiral had given me the "biggest discount(s) they possibly could", and made my price "as low as it could get", when I informed them I was leaving them for a cheaper company (with, I might add, a better and more comprehensive policy) and they were to cancel my policy, they miraculously managed to apply yet more discounts to match my cheaper quote.

Lying and robbing swines the lot of them, and nothing more. I have also breifly witnessed the way some of their (Direct Line's) call centre staff get treated, and it's appalling.

OT: I have no experience as a customer with direct line, but I know you can usually get reasonable insurance being a member of the IAM :)

just passed RoSPA Advanced driving course. similar to IAM.   Will it make any difference to my insurance quotes? already paying a resonable £240 per year (cheaper than my SEAT FR+) hoping for a bitof a discount. will get in touch with quote me happy and see.t if i get an answer.

It does seem premiums has gone up this year for all, I thought it was just me.

I was cheaper to renew with AXA for another year on my vRS TSI after going through all the price comparison websites - that's the first time that's happened!

Had to change the policy details for getting my 230 just yesterday and was able to do it all online, without any BS 'admin' fees that are usually associated with changing policy details. Premium only went up by £6.32 to, so thumbs-up for them.

+1 for Top Cashback or Quidco btw.

I've been with AXA for a couple of years now. It's great being able to update online with no administration charge. Did this when I moved house and again when I swapped from my MK2 to MK3, even managed to get a refund in the process both times. Result!

just passed RoSPA Advanced driving course. similar to IAM.   Will it make any difference to my insurance quotes? already paying a resonable £240 per year (cheaper than my SEAT FR+) hoping for a bitof a discount. will get in touch with quote me happy and see.t if i get an answer.

Just got my renewal quote through from the IAM insurance - £225 for the year - vRS TDI estate - 14 plate - 29 year old male with full NCD and no accidents/convctions

Insurance confuses the crap out of me.

uyc6431.png

I had a VW Bora (PD130) which cost me £210 a year FC. Moved to the Fabia VRS (PD130) and it jumps by £160 a year.

Scarily, I ran a quick quote for the new SE Sport (as per the above) and it came back at £700+ a year. 

All whilst I'm the mature age of 32, 2 kids, 12 years NCB, no claims, clean license and live in a low crime area.

Fun huh!