Changing a wheel

Hi,

Hopefully I will never need to change a wheel, but I have been reading (in the useless user manual) how to do so. 

To remove the wheel trim I have to find a special hook/clamp in the spare wheel compartment, hook it under the edge of the trim, then, lever it off with the wheel brace.

Could i not just use a decent sized screwdriver ?

Thanks as always

K

Hi,

Hopefully I will never need to change a wheel, but I have been reading (in the useless user manual) how to do so. 

To remove the wheel trim I have to find a special hook/clamp in the spare wheel compartment, hook it under the edge of the trim, then, lever it off with the wheel brace.

Thanks as always

K

Does this mean you have steel wheels, and you want to remove the plastic wheel trim?

Or do you have alloys and want to remove the wheel nuts plastic trim?

Hi,

Thanks as always

K

Yes, but Skoda need to provide you with all the necessary equipment to change the wheel, including a wheel trim.

Asking you to use your own screwdriver might be a bit of an issue at the side of the M25 when it is in your garage at home.

I'd imagine most people would simply pull if off by sticking their fingers through the holes around the edge.

Not that any of this is relevant, even the base model Octavia (S) here in the UK gets alloy wheels.

All Octavias in the UK have alloy wheels, so there is a small tweezer type tool to pull off the wheel bolt covers.

You do ask some strange questions Trebor.

Remember you also have Skoda assist for 3 years, so you can just call them to come and help.

It is worth noting though that the spare wheel tool kit still contains the tool to remove the wheel trims / alloy wheel centre caps. This is despite UK models not being fitted with either.

This is the tool for the wheel bolt caps...

bc6.jpg

This is the item I believe Trebor is referring to...

hqdefault.jpg

OE-Wheel-Lug-Nut-Center-Cover-Caps-Remov

Which is also used for the unique VW wheel bolt caps...

462-2-800.jpg

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

What are the wheel bolt covers for? I seem to have lost one, does it matter? The dealer didn't appear to notice when it was in for service.

makes it look nice when wheels are clean

serves no functional purpose, but hides a locking wheelnut

• Like 1

Purely cosmetic, although the one that covers the locking wheel nut will no doubt prevent salt and dirt ingress making it easier for the locking wheel nut key to sit in the grooves.

• Like 1

Hello again all & thanks for the help.

This is from page 214 of the pdf manual.

Extracting

› Hook the clamp found in the vehicle tool kit » page 212 into the reinforced

edge of the wheel trim.

› Push the wheel wrench through the clamp, support on the tyre and pull off

the wheel trim.

I am beginning to think that this is not relevant to me, and I just go for the wheel nuts??

I think this is why I was confused. Your replies have concerned the wheel bolts. I was trying to understand how to get the trim off. I don't think there is a trim. My mistake.

The wheel nuts are visible and accessible, I assume they have covers on.

The centre cap has Skoda's 'winged arrow' logo, not VW.

My apologies for the confusion.

You are right I do ask strange questions. I prefer to understand what to do before needing to do it on the hard shoulder, without waiting for the AA. I think I know where to start now & can try it in my driveway.

Reading the user-hostile manual is not helpful.

Many thanks again.

K

I found more of a practical problem is that it can be almost impossible to remove the wheel from its hub, even when all the nuts are off.

I wanted to remove a front wheel to retouch some paint (doing it on the bench). I had to do it still on the car.

So when it went in for its first service I asked them to remove each wheel, put a bit a grease on the area that binds to the hub, then refit them, just in case I do ever have to change a wheel in the middle of nowhere.

Fortunately, since then the need has not arisen but you never know !!

I found more of a practical problem is that it can be almost impossible to remove the wheel from its hub, even when all the nuts are off.

That's because of electrolytic corrosion between the wheel and the hub, which are usually dissimilar metals (aluminium alloy wheel and steel hub).

The best solution is to apply a small amount of copper grease between the wheel & the hub.

That's because of electrolytic corrosion between the wheel and the hub, which are usually dissimilar metals (aluminium alloy wheel and steel hub).

The best solution is to apply a small amount of copper grease between the wheel & the hub.

That's more or less what I asked the servicing people to do. I used to use Copperslip.

I was told that the factory don't bother from new so this is a common problem.

Like you would never have a puncture !!!

That's more or less what I asked the servicing people to do. I used to use Copperslip.

I was told that the factory don't bother from new so this is a common problem.

Like you would never have a puncture !!!

With the car still on the ground, no jack.....slacken the wheel bolts a couple of turns and then rock the car, this should break the corrosion seal, when you can see it move, jack up the car, undo bolts and your wheel will come off.

• Like 2

I guess you could have also just googled it or check youtube.

On the other hand - don't get me wrong, but if you have such questions, maybe it's safer if you ask someone to directly help you or do it for you...with 1st wheel change at least. It's a perfectly straightforward operation, but there are quite a few things that can go wrong if you don't pay attention/use common sense.

cheers!

Being in Finland, where you have to switch between Summer and Winter wheels as the seasons change every year, I find this question a bit amusing ;)

I got it down to a science already and I got a good jack, a electric gun for the bolts and I do my car and my wife's car in under 1h

• Like 1

I ended up using a length of 4x2 and a 2lb lump hammer to get my wheels off when I wanted to inspect the tyres. Two wouldn't respond to glosrich's method!

The finger pull-hook in silver1011's post is also used for the large centre caps on SWMBO's VW Up - simliar to the Audi wheel cap shown. Available on fleabay for a couple of quid. Cheaper than dealers.

Tempting fate there, Rodge.

Being in Finland, where you have to switch between Summer and Winter wheels as the seasons change every year, I find this question a bit amusing ;)

I got it down to a science already and I got a good jack, a electric gun for the bolts and I do my car and my wife's car in under 1h

Me, my Makita and 4 cars. 16 tyres off and 16 back on, two times a year.

You'll get your tools sorted after couple of years.

Changing a tyre isn't really a big issue here...

• Like 1

Here's an idea. Photo copy or write a step by guide.laminate it.laybon topped of spare wheel so in case off. No looking for the page or thinking. Even mark the tools with numbers, and luminous or bright paint. Thant way, S-dds law, says you'll never need it.????