Diesel engines fix recall

Blaven

As someone who has had the fix done I would say this:

1.Initially it seemed to have a very poor effect on fuel consumption. It is the 2l TDI and I had a recorded mpg over the previous 3500miles (I let it run on with computer setting 2) of 61.3mpg. Now, I know it lies, the fuel consumption is actually nearer 56 but it serves as a marker.

2. Fuel consumption promptly dropped into the mid 50s according to the trip. This has slowly crept up to about 59ish on computer 2 setting after a about 1100 miles. This has been with relatively warm summer / autumn conditions and I will have to see what happens when the cold weather arrives. If the remap has been designed for warmer conditions, the colder weather efficiency might be grossly affected.

3. The efficiency must have been reduced because I am told (on very good authority) that the only way to reduce NOx emissions is to recycle more of the exhaust gases to burn up the particles before they leave the exhaust. There is an almost linear correlation between the drop in efficiency of the engine by EGR (exhaust gas recycling) and the increase in fuel needed to compensate for the loss of performance.

4. Very difficult to say but I do not think the performance is as crisp either.

I have owned my example for about 3 years and have done a great deal of driving in the past so know and understand the different feel of the car. I am sufficiently cross with the whole thing that I am thinking of signing up to https://www.caremissionslawyers.co.uk who are starting a class action against VW. When I shared my initial thoughts about the drop in performance and wanted Skoda to look at it, the reaction was 'fine, if you pay us'!!!

"To burn up the particles before they leave the exhaust" is a very poor description of what EGR does. Are those your words or those of your very good authority?

Other than that, what you say in point 3 may well be correct.

Just had mine done and as mentioned before only time will tell with regards to potential adverse effects.

I have to say mine seems ok.................... for now.

Inert gases (principally Nitrogen - N2, water in gas state - H2O, and carbon dioxide - CO2) are recirculated from the exhaust into the inlet to substitute for some of the air (rich in oxygen) which would naturally be there. This lowers the peak combustion temperatures, by slowing the burn speed of the fuel. At lower peak temperatures, and with less 'spare' oxygen gas in the combustion chambers, there is a far lower tendency for nitrogen and oxygen to react with each other forming the nasty nitrogen oxide gases (NOx).

No particles are 'burnt up', in fact there's a tendency for high EGR rates to produces more particulate emissions.

Edited by Wino

• 3 weeks later...

Had mine done at the local dealer, at the same time it went in for service ( could quite easily have done myself) but the car has fdsh so decided to splash out

anyway, I have had the car 2 years, every tank of diesel returns 50mpg minimum... since having the work done, struggling for 48...  I know its not much but over a full tank you notice.. It drives a bit smoother but could be due to fresh oil and fresh oil in the 4x4 system.. I was going to have it remapped anyway, So i think this has made my mind up, get the economy back up to 50mpg minimum.

Interesting to know if others have noticed a drop in fuel economy?

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Everything i read on this diesel software update refers to all diesel engines but mine the 1.9tdi yet Skoda have written to me saying mine is affected does anyone have any info on this

It should affect common rail 1,6 and 2,0 diesels only.

My 2102 VRS is in for service today. I enquired if the emissions fix was due and informed that it won't be available until after Christmas, which contradicts what others have said. I still stated that I didn't want it applying just in case as I don't trust them.

• Like 1

I got my letter through yesterday for my 62 plate. Letter states the car should perform exactly the same after the update. I'll probably see if it can wait until it's service in February.

So, I have recieved my letter today for my 2010 2.0tdi VRS.

I am going to have the car remapped later next year to around 210bhp so I have a decision to make.

1. Get the work done at skoda so that all documents are upto date as far as Skoda are concerned and not worry to much about the outcome as it is being remapped later so any power/economy lost will be sorted.

2. Not bother with the emissions update as the car is being remapped anyway.

My current thoughts are as the car is still under warranty get the update done then there is no wriggle room on skoda's side should the car go in for further warranty work later down the line.

Just for clarity the remap I am doing will be after warranty is up so I'm not worried about that effecting any warranty claim.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Edited by Dave3283

had my recall letter yesterday, called to try and book it in but due to christmas break they are rammed so unlikely itll be done before anyway.

Last month when I wanted to book my car in for a service and early MOT, the best they could offer was 20-21 Dec - spread over two days! It was the same last year due to them getting rid of end of year demonstrators/ pre registered cars plus people ordering new cars but want a new year registration date on the V5.

Out of curiosity what would happen to those folk whose cars are already re mapped before having the fix? Will Skoda be repaying them the cost of having their car re re mapped?

Out of curiosity what would happen to those folk whose cars are already re mapped before having the fix? Will Skoda be repaying them the cost of having their car re re mapped?

You should tell the dealer that the car is mapped, there is a form for you to sign and then they won't do the fix.

I can't see them refunding or paying for you to have the car mapped if you fail to mention it...

• Like 1

Have Skoda UK/VAG actually stated in writing that the mods will not result in changes to fuel economy or performance?

No letter for me, so perhaps the 2.0L engines are first up.

I spoke with Superchips regarding this and the update will re lock the ecu so it will need to be unlocked again to flash the remap back on. Unless you have a device like Bluefin or Shark Performance, I wouldnt bother having the update done. It would seem pointless to have the update done to then reflash the ecu with the remap and wipe the update.

I had my letter through 2 days ago and I am not going to get the update done just yet.