190 TDI dsg engine

Yup vvvv

If I bought a 190 and a rolling road showed 170, it would be returned under the consumer regs as not being as described. That's assuming the comparison is like for like and not bhp at the engine compared to bhp at the wheels.

Only had mine 2 days and I'm happy with the performance for a Diesel, coming from a 105bhp to a 190bhp DSG is like night and day. I'd say the extra 40bhp over the 150bhp will only come into it at high speeds. Maybe after a remap it would really open up some more power but happy with it as it's just a diesel at the end of the day.

What's this audi mod? Searched in the VCDS thread and found nothing ...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/380829-superb-mkiii-vcds-adaptations-tried-and-tested/?p=4611928

Thanks to Shahoff

Increased sensitivity of the throttle pedal

Controller 01- Engine

07 - Coding 

Byte 0, Bit 0-2,

Change from Škoda (01) to AUDI (02) this will dramatically reduce lag on pressing accelerator pedal.

Std:

Engine_zpse6seoaca.jpg

Change to:

Engine%20Audi_zpsyutyfzox.jpg

If like me and many other owners you think the std throttle response is pretty dead, then this will dramatically change the way the car drives, the power is now instant just like on other cars.

IMO this is the best free mod you can do!

• Like 1

Gizmo. - forgive my ignorance, but how exactly does VCDS work. I noticed there is a Briskoda member in my home town ( Kilmarnock ) with VCDS. Should I just contact him, or does it need some more " formal " arranging. Reason I'm asking is that as was stated earlier, the acceleration is hesitant, and mine is compounded by the fact my car has hand controls owing to leg disabilities. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Gizmo. - forgive my ignorance, but how exactly does VCDS work. I noticed there is a Briskoda member in my home town ( Kilmarnock ) with VCDS. Should I just contact him, or does it need some more " formal " arranging. Reason I'm asking is that as was stated earlier, the acceleration is hesitant, and mine is compounded by the fact my car has hand controls owing to leg disabilities. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Just contact the member listed and chat about what you want.

Yes as Sagalout said, send them a PM and ask away.

The ‘Audi mod’ is one of the easiest coding changes you can make, that said if you want any other coding doing then ask if they have done either a MK3 Octavia or Superb before as the MQB platform cars are a bit more involved than previous cars.

I am fairly illiterate when it comes to computer software and have little understanding of how VCDS works. I took my car to my local dealer to see if they could remove the lag in throttle response by changing it to the Audi coding.

From the subsequent conversation I was advised that VCDS is aftermarket, (which I now accept is true) and the Skoda warranty would be affected adversely. They were also unwilling to change the coding with their own software. Why am I not surprised?

Any comments on this will be appreciated. Thank you.

As Gizmo says don't be put off. Think of it like your computer at home. You have programmes on it that you don't use or you have to 'set up' to get them working fully. Same with VCDS. The 'programmes are there, you just activate them via VCDS.

The dealer probably assumed that you were looking for what is known as a remap of your engine if you simply asked for the Audi throttle. That is completely different from simple VCDS stuff as it does significantly change the operating parameters of the engine. Therefore it might well impact warranty and insurance.

As an example of simple VCDS. The traffic sign recognition is a paid for extra but with VCDS you can simply switch that on (as long as you have the camera/sensors). So you get the option for nowt and as you are not affecting the operating parameters at all there will be no impact on warranty etc. Another example is to switch to using the foglights as coming/leaving home lights instead of the bi-xenons firing up everytime. 

Dealers won't do the 'no cost' options stuff and will always advise against using VCDS for obvious reasons.

hth

• Like 1

With a car which Motability Finance bought and own and all the maintenance is covered and this includes the Ad-Blue top ups the Main Dealership will set for the person leasing it from Motability the Steering Assist, Brake Assist and other available things that can be set.

Some Techs might do other bits and pieces free gratis, or it is a case of paying and having it done in the Dealership Network or outwith.

(Amazingly on the return of the vehicles before going off to auction they do not get returned to the factory settings, so cars can be on the used market with the Steering Assist 

and Brake assist as it was to suit a driver with an impairment that needed extra assist.)

Yes VCDS is 'aftermarket' but you are not rewriting any codes in the cars ECU's (like a remap would) all you are doing is activating a code that is already there!

Thank you for your help with this. I returned to my dealer with the information you kindly provided and they will not touch it as it is an alteration to an existing specification and cite the usual issue over warranty claims.

I have been onto Skoda Customer Care and they also say the warranty would be at risk if, say, there was damage to the engine attributable in any way to the amendment.

At the end of the day, I guess the car owner has to decide whether to take the risk, although why Skoda sells us cars with what I believe is a throttle response which may reasonably be described as abnormal, even in sport mode with DCC, is beyond my comprehension. Overall I like the car but this is an irritant.

I note the same coding seems to apply to Seat and VW and am wondering if these cars suffer the same trait.

Thank you for your help with this. I returned to my dealer with the information you kindly provided and they will not touch it as it is an alteration to an existing specification and cite the usual issue over warranty claims.

I have been onto Skoda Customer Care and they also say the warranty would be at risk if, say, there was damage to the engine attributable in any way to the amendment.

At the end of the day, I guess the car owner has to decide whether to take the risk, although why Skoda sells us cars with what I believe is a throttle response which may reasonably be described as abnormal, even in sport mode with DCC, is beyond my comprehension. Overall I like the car but this is an irritant.

I note the same coding seems to apply to Seat and VW and am wondering if these cars suffer the same trait.

Although without this forum you wouldn't have been any the wiser?

Unfortunately Skoda have to abide by their own internal systems and policies, so you can't blame the dealer for not wanting to assist.

Although without this forum you wouldn't have been any the wiser?

Unfortunately Skoda have to abide by their own internal systems and policies, so you can't blame the dealer for not wanting to assist.

Quite right. I would have known nothing about it so all credit to this forum. The dealer is only acting on behalf of Skoda - so why do Skoda produce a car with such a soporific throttle?

Hi all,

Have been reading this post with interest as I am due to get a 190 DSG mid-December. Am I right in saying that the issue is that you have to press the throttle harder/further than expected? So with the AUDI mod - does it just somehow make the throttle more responsive or is it a form of re-map with the same max power but provide more low-down torque?

.. is it a form of re-map with the same max power but provide more low-down torque?

It's simply an amendment to the table that translates pedal position into throttle input. Instead of, for example, 10 degrees of pedal travel resulting in 10% throttle, it overwrites that to say '10 degrees of pedal travel results in 30% throttle being applied'

Numbers are made up by the way :)

It's simply an amendment to the table that translates pedal position into throttle input. Instead of, for example, 10 degrees of pedal travel resulting in 10% throttle, it overwrites that to say '10 degrees of pedal travel results in 30% throttle being applied'

Numbers are made up by the way :)

Thanks very much for the explanation, I will have to see how it feels when I get it then decide what to do. Have you altered yours?

Speedman - will be interesting to hear what you think when you get your car. I have the 190 DSG, and there is definitely a throttle lag ( which in my opinion is a worry. Especially noticeable if you want to join roundabout traffic and you get that " go for God's sake moment " when approaching traffic is heading towards you. ). Currently trying to contact a local VCDS guy to at least get the Audi throttle response.

• Like 1