Upgrading boot lighting...

Superskoda lights here. BRIGHT!!

Probably very similar/same but cheaper on fleabay/Aliexpress, but just so many variables there I couldn't be bothered working through the choices.

Aliexpress very good and CHEAP though - especially for things like phone cases, screen protectors, etc. Genuine branded too, as well as genuine fakes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hiya guys,

I could really do with a big upgrade of the boot lighting on my Octavia III, but the LED bulbs I fitted in the interior lights are too big for the holders . . .

Similar finding here. LED bulbs wouldn't fit boot lamp holders.

I had a couple of new LED bulbs lying around waiting to go into my bike, so thought I'd try one in a boot lamp.

Surely a 2 minute job.

No chance. Removed lamp unit to garage bench. Popped OE bulb out. My new bulb was a bit longer so a tight squeeze lengthwise, but no way could fit the contact strips as the new bulb is very fat (cylindrical) near the end that slides in to the contacts.

Hey-Ho. Refit OE bulb and replace lamp unit in boot.

Ah! Doesn't work at all.

Had to remove it again and apply some gentle bending to the contact bars to persuade the OE bulb to light up again.

Lesson learned - don't (hey that's clever - I used a word that wasn't very rude at all but was converted to **** when I previewed the post - this must be the primary school forum) "mess" with OE parts that have been built down to a price and don't appreciate being modified with non-standard parts.

Customise at your peril :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I am aware Super Skoda do a "mega power LED cargo light" that replaces the full bulb units in the boot,

Thanks for the tip. Just installed the SuperSkoda lamps and they are fantastic. Installation wasn't quite as easy as their youtube video might suggest - the side clips both needed to be prised apart before the old lamp housing could be removed from the connector (loosening a thumbnail in the process :D  ). Installing the new LED housing was easy. Both LED housings needed a good shove to get them back in the mounting points.

Are they expensive at 35€? Probably yes.

But if the alternative is spending 5-10€ on LEDs from aliexpress, and then spending time installing the LEDs into the light housing, etc., without any guarantee of success, then the price isn't so bad.

Tip: remember to hang on to the old bulbs, so you can switch them back in when you sell the car on.

Edited by susi
  • Like 1

Tip: remember to hang on to the old bulbs, so you can switch them back in when you sell the car on.

That's a pretty good tip. Always everything that comes out of my car goes into a little box that I return with the car when I pass it forward.

If someone doesn't like the mods, they can undo it.

Saw a nice VRS at the dealer the other day while was waiting for my car and it had coilovers on it - was nice to see the stock springs and shocks in a box at the rear, in case someone wants to change them back.

• Like 1

That's a pretty good tip. Always everything that comes out of my car goes into a little box that I return with the car when I pass it forward.

I do the same. Except my OEM stuff won't fit in a small box...

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
20 hours ago, lab4games said:

no mod required. it was just remove the old and install the new

Thanks mate. Just ordered a pair for the boot. Inspected the stock ones for footwell and looks to be of the same size too!

On 8/30/2017 at 20:16, S00perb said:

Did any documentation that came with that light suggest it would work on a superb?

Nope references per listing as below. I did compare the actual one in terms of size/shape before ordering though.

Fit car model:
  • For AUDI: A2 A3/S3 A4/S4 A5/S5 A6/S6/RS6 A8/S8/R8 Q5 Q7 TT
  • For VW: GOLF5/GOLF6 Passat 5D/Passat cc/Passat R36 Campmob 04/Polo 02-09/Caddy 04-09/EOS 06-08/Jetta 06-08/ Scirocco 09/Tiguan 08/Touareg 03-09/Phaeton/Sharan/Transporter
  • Seat: Alhambra
  • for skoda: Fabia 07-09/Octavia 04-08/Roomster 06-09
  • Lamborghini: Gallarbo 04/Gallarbo LP56009/Spyder/SuperleggerA
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2017 at 13:10, wingzee said:

Nope references per listing as below. I did compare the actual one in terms of size/shape before ordering though.

Fit car model:
  • For AUDI: A2 A3/S3 A4/S4 A5/S5 A6/S6/RS6 A8/S8/R8 Q5 Q7 TT
  • For VW: GOLF5/GOLF6 Passat 5D/Passat cc/Passat R36 Campmob 04/Polo 02-09/Caddy 04-09/EOS 06-08/Jetta 06-08/ Scirocco 09/Tiguan 08/Touareg 03-09/Phaeton/Sharan/Transporter
  • Seat: Alhambra
  • for skoda: Fabia 07-09/Octavia 04-08/Roomster 06-09
  • Lamborghini: Gallarbo 04/Gallarbo LP56009/Spyder/SuperleggerA

Not suitable for armchairs, mobile armcharis or not

lol

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 13:13, S00perb said:

Thanks - I will have to keep looking (the boot is a black hole in my saloon!)

A pair of these floodlight my boot. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Power-4pcs-lot-T10-Canbus-Car-Led-Light-Error-Free-W5W-WY5W-Auto-Interior-License/2036929238.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.crlOGw

Just swap the bulbs over. 

Also put them in my doors.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2016 at 02:56, Paulius55 said:

Hopefully this should be a picture of the said lights....sorry about the poor focus!

51zr61.jpg

Can you upload a pic? This pic link is not showing. Also did you have to install 2 or 1? The MK3 RS has only one on the right hand side of the boot 

Sorry about the missing picture, I deleted it ages ago. However, they are very bright, a direct swap, no errors as the system does not monitor interior bulbs. I fitted 2 as that is what I have in my Combi.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Paulius55 said:

Sorry about the missing picture, I deleted it ages ago. However, they are very bright, a direct swap, no errors as the system does not monitor interior bulbs. I fitted 2 as that is what I have in my Combi.

appreciate your response bro.. Ordering them.