"Sporty" trim like AMG, S-Line and now ST Line

Captain Sisko

Ford have recently launched ST Line Trim which I can't really see the point since they have Zetec and Zetec S for the sporty trims on their cars

Audi have had S-Line trim for about 10 years now? so their normal cars have the sporty looks and equipment of an S level car.

Mercedes have "AMG LINE" so their normal cars look like the AMG sporty models

and VW have R-Line

Not sure about BMW

Edited by Captain Sisko

SKODA will just use Sport Sportline Scoutline Businessline Monte Carlo or even vRS at will and the idea of sport suspension is often a shorter set of springs. Performance or dynamic handling is just something the websites and brochures talk of. Sport seems to mean a bit of show but don't expect more go.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

I guess it allows everyone the looks of the sporty/ "hot" models without the associated running costs.

I can see the point of them as roads are getting worse and average speed cameras everywhere means people don't need a quick car. It just looks good

Personally, I think that Ford could have given "it" a miss, as said already, they had that "area" covered already - but what do we know about what floats people's boats, the style guro that sold them that idea certainly did not have to work hard for their money!

BMW, lots of owners think that they have a real M car, idiots.

I had a short discussion with a VW sales guy about R-line when ordering my wife's car, he claimed that back in April 2015, that the next year's model would have lots of bits that would interest me, I looked and saw "same old" - don't get me wrong, sometimes they do throw in some thing interesting/useful, but not in the case of the R-line Polo!

Audi S-line, hum, they might be okay if you have false teeth and remember to remove them before setting off, they genuinely are just a few extras and chopped springs when coupled to very low profile tyres can't be too good for much.  Interesting to note that Audi, being a small bit smart, actually offered S-line cars with "no charge" standard road springs, how thoughtful!

BMW have both 'Sport' and 'M-sport' - they're different levels! :(

Usually the (m-)sports have different suspension settings too (and optional brake upgrades), as well as just the cosmetic bits.

I kind of get it, but not when (with the VWs at least) the price increases, but the spec items get removed. I don't know about Ford and Mercedes, but with BMW, you don't lose anything as you go up the model range. Mostly as it's all an optional extra anyway!

Kia have just launched the GT line which puts the cosmetics on some of their models too. I think it devalues the actual sporty models a bit. If I'm buying the hot version I want to stand out, I cant use its full power but I want it to look good. Now people can't tell if I'm driving a 1.0 wannabe or the full fat 300bhp monster in many brands.

Edited by chris_1d

They're all going down that route, even Jaguar now have their R-Sport cars which have sporty trim and dampers, but same engines as the other trims.

I love my 3 series M Sport, It no different from a TDI VRS IMO - just a 4 door family car with 'sporty' styling, dampers and punchy diesel engine.

And no, I don't think i'm driving an M Car.... :wonder:  I'm driving a fairly common car in a trim and spec that I wanted, nothing more, nothing less!

Doesn't Merc have "Brabus" as well? or is that more like Alpina to BMW?

Someone is obviously asking and buying these trimmed motors. VX has been doing it for years with the SRI badge.

I own a M-Sport BMW, perfect match for us, sporty looks, hugging seats and stiffer suspension but keep the reasonable running costs. The theory has been used for years with various makes/models. For the BMW though, it doesnt look the same as the M version, you can still tell the difference easily, I'd not be such a fan if it was a replica of the fast model. 

Doesn't Merc have "Brabus" as well? or is that more like Alpina to BMW?

Someone is obviously asking and buying these trimmed motors. VX has been doing it for years with the SRI badge.

We used to fit brabus kits in work but haven't seen any for a few years the last of the CLS before the new model had them and a few ML's but since then nothing. A footballer had a brabus bodykit on his ML63 two years ago but that was a rare sight.

It's clearly where the money is - Skoda confirmed a few weeks back that "trim" levels were very profitable and they would concentrate further on them - Sportline, Monte Carlo etc.

All cars do come with trim though, and Skoda might well say that some parts that make a car look Sporty will give them a better profit margin than actually 

selling cars that they develop decent suspension and brake systems for and that people are not buying their 220 ps petrols or 184ps diesels in numbers that give them the profit.

Odd really because there is nothing more expensive in their manufacturing than when they put out 150ps.

I suppose they can not just say that other than on the biggest whales of Skodas you can not expect Sporting Looks and Performance you have to buy a VW, Seat or Audi for that.

So Skoda went back to the future with the Yeti.

Now you chose from the Yeti Outdoor. as a S, SE. SE Technology. SE L or L&K.

The Monte Carlo has gone.

Edited by Offski

I own a M-Sport BMW, perfect match for us, sporty looks, hugging seats and stiffer suspension but keep the reasonable running costs. The theory has been used for years with various makes/models. For the BMW though, it doesnt look the same as the M version, you can still tell the difference easily, I'd not be such a fan if it was a replica of the fast model.

This hits the nail quite well on the head!

I too have had m-sport and AMG sport models and agree the added extras are what make them nice to own and drive.

Does make me cringe a bit when you see those who try and replicate the performance version a bit too much. Might fool some but it's still a 1.6 diesel underneath ;)

• Like 1

Does make me cringe a bit when you see those who try and replicate the performance version a bit too much. Might fool some but it's still a 1.6 diesel underneath ;)

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/vauxhall/vauxhall-corsa-10t-sri-vxline-2015-review/

1.0 SRI :peek:

I'm as guilty as anyone with these semi-sporting variants. I've had a Fiat 130TC Abarth, a GT TDi an AMG Sport+ and an S line. They also had bog standard engines (well the Fiats was a 2.0 twin cam ), the major differences over regular SE type models, were trim, cosmetics and firmer suspension. The brakes weren't super special, the gearbox was standard, the seats weren't the top end supportive ones, the wheels and tyres weren't extra wide/lightweight etc etc. But you did get a slighty more sporty handling (Golf not included) and sharper looks so there was some merit. Currently I have an even more ambiguous version, the M135i. it's in between an 'M-Sport' and a full fat 'M' car. Go figure :D

Edited by Lady Elanore

Sometimes I really hate the looks of a basic spec car trying toooo hard to look like the top end full on sports version.

However I speced a mk3 (6N) polo SE (special edition) which was a "C" spec but had unique alloys, the one piece front & rear sports bumpers, darkened rear lights & clear front indicators all from the 1.6 & later 16V versions. Ticked the factory options of front fogs, heated elec mirrors, elec front windows to bring upto spec of CL version but cost me less than a CL version but had a better spec!!!

So yes I can see the advantage of in some cases better looks ( 6N Polos look way better with those bumpers).

However if I think I see a real tarted up car, I just look at the front brakes, ....oh dear those are defo 1.0lt spec.....& look stupid in 18" alloys..........