ACTION REQUIRED letter

ejstubbs

Frenchtone^^^^^^^^^^^best of luck with the white worm,I was told by the dealer and Skoda UK the warrentry for that type of this was only six months.

I wonder how many of us have managed to get them done well beyond that period then? 

I wonder how many of us have managed to get them done well beyond that period then? 

I had 3 alloy wheels replaced due to white worm after 23 months from new via; Pulman, Durham. The 4th wheel had a small mark but was not replaced as judged acceptable according to SUK parameters, I was told. I did not buy the car from Pulman. I presume the white worm wheels were refurbished later for re-use?

Only had the white worm on the wheel BADGES and hoped they might change them as a goodwill gesture ,but neither dealer or Skoda U.K. interested,they did offer 10% of list but obviously they are cheaper on line.

Quote. "On my last one I had the rear badge replaced twice. Dealer didn't quibble about it at all".................Different country??????? ....................

They proberly thought the emblem was a sheeps head.........................................stand back after firework is lit.

Edited by Sad555

Whitedove in Cardiff told me my Yeti was on their list to have badges replaced, that was in June this year. I had already had them done in 2011/12. So looks like they are still doing them.

I took my Yeti into Mitchells of Chester last week to have a fault looked at. They wanted to do the "fix" at the same time which I initially refused to have done. The service guy said that I would have to sign a form to that effect and that I would be the first owner they had to refuse the "fix"! According to the service guy all the "fix" did was to remove redundant software that is now not needed and that the running of the car would be no way affected.

In the end I agreed to the "fix" and since then and after a 75 mile drive home I have not noticed any change to the car (thank goodness).

One strange comment the service guy made was that if I refused the "fix" and then had a related problem (what ever that could be?) I would have to take it up with VW! When I pointed out that I had bought a "Skoda" through a "Skoda" dealer and not a "VW" he very quickly changed the subject!!! Has anyone else ever had a problem with their Skoda and have had to then had to go to VW to sort it out? 

Quick update re my warranty / fix/ service -- visited Skoda Quimper today, no probs about the wheel /\ badge probs skoda france just need pics to process,and the 3yr period will not be a prob either as previously stated, 2 yrs in France, need to sigmn a disclaimer re not having the fix applied. All going forward Friday!

Also picked up 4x Dunlop SP01's fitted Dec / Jan when a response from Skoda received, balanced etc for £425 equiv from a local tyre service, good day all round methinks!

Edited by Frenchtone
  • Like 1

Got my letter telling me to arrange a 'fix' appointment . Ignored it in view of Tiguan problems. Skoda dealer rang last week to set up an appointment to do the fit. Told them absolutely clearly that I did not want it done it yet in view of Tiguan problems. No problem. At the same time I made an appointment to switch my summer tyres over to winter tyres.

Took the car in today, usual pitches to do a fuel cleanse (cobblers, I always use V-Power diesel), AirCon service (no thanks, always run with AirCon on), Brake Fluid change (no, that can wait 'til the fluid is 3 years old) so just the tyre change authorised, in writing. Blow me, ring up to ask if the car is ready this afternoon and they say it just going to have the emissions fix!! I said it better bl**dy well hadn't as I'd already told them I didn't want it now. Went to pick it up and they'd registered the fix as 'declined ' on the UK Skoda database, with an assurance that I could get it done anytime in the future.

Had the fix applied today and have noticed no difference in noise / drivability / displayed mpg on the return journey. I assume I am now not emitting as much Nox as before, but who can tell?

Had the fix applied today and have noticed no difference in noise / drivability / displayed mpg on the return journey. I assume I am now not emitting as much Nox as before, but who can tell?

I don't think it's going to impact on anything coming out of the exhaust as the 'cheat' was engineered to kick in only when the car was stationary during its MOT.

• Like 3

I don't think it's going to impact on anything coming out of the exhaust as the 'cheat' was engineered to kick in only when the car was stationary during its MOT.

It's nothing to do with the MOT: NOx is not part of that test and - as has been noted elsewhere - MOT testers won't check that the 'fix' has been applied.

The purpose of the 'cheat' was purely to pass the regulatory NOx emissions lab-based tests so as to allow VAG to sell the cars in their target markets.  Given that only a small sample of cars are tested in this way, for the vast majority of cars being driven on the road the 'cheat' never needed to be activated (though it might have happened by pure chance).  This is one reason why the fix is optional and 'unfixed' cars are not 'illegal'.  The problem is purely between VAG and the regulators: VAG should not have installed the 'cheat', but since it does nothing of substance when the car is being driven normally the 'fix' is basically a face-saving gesture by VAG to appease the regulators.

Bear in mind that some of the "real world" tests which have been carried out since the 'scandal' broke have shown that some VAG cars with the 'cheat' were found to have better "real world" NOx emissions than some other cars which passed the lab tests (supposedly) without cheating.  Very few cars of any marque got close to meeting the lab test emissions levels in the "real world" testing.

I've also seen it stated that the 'cheat' wasn't needed to pass the Euro 5 test, only the more stringent US test.  I'm not sure how true that is.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 4

It's nothing to do with the MOT: NOx is not part of that test and - as has been noted elsewhere - MOT testers won't check that the 'fix' has been applied.

The purpose of the 'cheat' was purely to pass the regulatory NOx emissions lab-based tests so as to allow VAG to sell the cars in their target markets.  Given that only a small sample of cars are tested in this way, for the vast majority of cars being driven on the road the 'cheat' never needed to be activated (though it might have happened by pure chance).  This is one reason why the fix is optional and 'unfixed' cars are not 'illegal'.  The problem is purely between VAG and the regulators: VAG should not have installed the 'cheat', but since it does nothing of substance when the car is being driven normally the 'fix' is basically a face-saving gesture by VAG to appease the regulators.

Bear in mind that some of the "real world" tests which have been carried out since the 'scandal' broke have shown that some VAG cars with the 'cheat' were found to have better "real world" NOx emissions than some other cars which passed the lab tests (supposedly) without cheating.  Very few cars of any marque got close to meeting the lab test emissions levels in the "real world" testing.

I've also seen it stated that the 'cheat' wasn't needed to pass the Euro 5 test, only the more stringent US test.  I'm not sure how true that is.

That's my view as well. The only troubling thing is lack of information as to what they are doing for the "fix".

If there was a little technical information coming out of VAG, then perhaps we could believe their intentions with this "fix". I'm not convinced yet by their bland assurances that all is ok, it might well be, it might make some components work harder - who knows?

I'm sure the reason is purely "legal", reducing their exposure to potential "claims" etc. They dug a hole for themselves and want to stop digging - a little hard information might well partly restore the "trust" which is vanishing down the plug hole!

Who knows? Well if even one owner of an affected vehicle were to do a little logging with VCDS of something like EGR rates before and after having their car updated, we'd have something to go on.

I can hardly believe that no-one, not a single person on here, seems to be interested in trying this on their car.

• Like 1

Who knows? Well if even one owner of an affected vehicle were to do a little logging with VCDS of something like EGR rates before and after having their car updated, we'd have something to go on.

I can hardly believe that no-one, not a single person on here, seems to be interested in trying this on their car.

I thought we had one member who said he was going to get his rolling road tested before and after the "fix" and was threatening to go to Court if there was a difference?

Must admit I agree with EJ and Jerry, although I am not now affected.

I thought we had one member who said he was going to get his rolling road tested before and after the "fix" and was threatening to go to Court if there was a difference?

Must admit I agree with EJ and Jerry, although I am not now affected.

Well that might, possibly, be worthwhile, but my understanding is that RR tests are usually done at full throttle, when emissions equipment tends to be inactive anyway. Not going to show any changes if that's the case, I wouldn't think.