Headlight upgrade needed

I have a newish Scout and find the headlamps poor at night, my previous Superb had the Xenons which were fab.

Any suggestions on improving? Can I simply put better brighter bulbs in?Any recommendations?

Thanks

Make sure you get the same wattage bulbs as the lenses on the lights are plastic. Plenty of options Night Breakers/Extremes etc. I think the H15 is a bit tougher to upgrade, as it includes the DRL in the same bulb.

I'm in the same boat as you as just picked up my new Scout. Headlight are shocking compared with the Bi zenons in our previous Yeti.

Just purchased some Mtec Superwhite bulbs from HID direct, another member on here has bbeen using them with good results. H15 for main and DRL combined, H7 dipped and some H8 for the fogs. They are 4300k and only fitted them today so can't give proper review yet.

Bought the lot for £42 delivered.

At the end of the day they will never be as good as Xenons but hopefully better.

PS. Apparently the DRL's can be adjusted by VCDS to appear brighter as they are very yellow looking now.

Edited by jerbear
  • Like 1

Make sure you get the same wattage bulbs as the lenses on the lights are plastic. Plenty of options Night Breakers/Extremes etc. I think the H15 is a bit tougher to upgrade, as it includes the DRL in the same bulb.

Sorry you think 100w H7 will melt the plastic before pulling the Arsenal outta the fuse

• Like 1

Sorry you think 100w H7 will melt the plastic before pulling the Arsenal outta the fuse

Not so much melting the plastic as the damage it does to UV protection and they get that 'lovely' cloudy look.

I put some cheap 100watt bulbs on a Hyundai I owned (with the worst headlights I've experienced since 6 volt systems and flap indicators were in vogue) and they soon misted and required constant cleaning thereafter.

Moral is to get good quality and efficient replacements to minimise risk of damage.

• Like 1

there's also the osram cool blue intense for H15. 

The blue toning is usually achieved with a blue colour tint to the bulb surface which basically reduces the light output to make them look a bit like more expensive xenons.

If you are seeking to improve light output from your halogens then you are better off avoiding any tint whatsoever imo.

I do have a couple of questions for others to comment on:

It is quite common for Australian vehicles to have a very dark tint on the front windows. I am pretty sure it is illegal and I know I saw a few cars in the UK with similar tint just over a year back (in Essex mostly, which could explain it). While they may be 'cool' looking and literally cooler in bright sun I really wonder how they affect night vision and the sudden demand for bright driving lights. A bit like wearing sunglasses at night. The cars are usually black incidentally.

2nd question is about high temperature (K) lights, that have that very cold white appearance. While they appear brighter to my (old) eyes I lose a lot of the detail in what is being illuminated. An example would be where the rear number plate lights have been upgraded with high temperature LED and once beyond 10 metres the number plate is near unreadable for me, even though the illumination is very bright, and yet with normal temperature lights I can read them up to 50 metres away.

I have found similar with high temperature headlights, seemingly much brighter but not necessarily as effective as they appear.

Now is this me and possibly the effects of ageing or have others found this?

I'm not terribly impressed with some modern front LED indicators in daylight either, some are far too directional and designed for style rather than effectiveness.

I  really am a grumpy old man.

Regarding front window tints, in the UK the windows have to be capable of letting 70% of light through. Plod carry a machine for testing cars that are stopped for overly dark front window tinting. I found the Xenons on my VRS to be a royal pain in the bum. I had to dip them when passing any directions road signs that were white. It was also costing a small fortune in washer fluid.

Currently running the standard lights on the 1.4TSI and they are more than up to the job.

• Like 1

I'm not terribly impressed with some modern front LED indicators in daylight either, some are far too directional and designed for style rather than effectiveness.

I'd say the same thing applies to rear LED lights too.

Check the headlight aim. I had the same issue so I got new philips bulbs which didn't seem to make any difference. I compared the headlight aim to the wife's car and it was set a lot lower. Quick adjustment and now it's fine.

Regarding front window tints, in the UK the windows have to be capable of letting 70% of light through. Plod carry a machine for testing cars that are stopped for overly dark front window tinting. I found the Xenons on my VRS to be a royal pain in the bum. I had to dip them when passing any directions road signs that were white. It was also costing a small fortune in washer fluid.

Currently running the standard lights on the 1.4TSI and they are more than up to the job.

The headlight washer is my biggest annoyance...whatever is wrong with just having a button to choose when you'd like your headlights washed?! My S2000 had that in 2005! Edited by vtec to vrs!

+1 for the standard lights on the 1.4TSI, I wonder if the owners complaining of poor output have an issue more due to poorly aimed lights. In my opinion, if my lights were any more powerful, I would have to keep them dipped almost all the time to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers.  

• Like 1

PIAA Xtreme White Plus - best straight replacement on the market by a mile, but you'll pay for the privilege.

Can you tell me where on there web site thay sell H15 Xtreme White Plus? They look good as i think the standard bulbs are poor, i cant find them in H15

http://www.piaa.co.uk/bulbs/

Edited by Alpha2110

Can you tell me where on there web site thay sell H15 Xtreme White Plus? They look good as i think the standard bulbs are poor, i cant find them in H15

That's where you'll struggle - they will only do them for the dipped beam in H7, but that's realistically where you need the upgrade most.

MTEC HID Class halogen bulbs Super White do

H7 dipped beam

H15 main bean and DLR'S

H8 fog lights

Please note these are 4350k temp/colour so, just the wrong side of the limit but, I've been running them for 2 years without problems

Should you want the whole front end in the same colour, you need to alter through VCDS for the side lights setting as its a little blue as standard.

The H7 are available in 55w (standard) or 100w for those not concerned by having to clean their head light lenses more often.

Edited by themanwithnoaim

I've tried the MTEC in H7 and H15. I've now put some old Phillips up rated bulbs in that were taken out of a previous motor. I found the MTEC, although a whiter light, as already mentioned, not as effective. I found them a strain on the eyes and poor at distance on my local country roads.

I'm going to get some Osram Nightbreakers in H7 as they are cheap at the moment. I did look at the PIAA but at nearly £60 decided to try these.

I have noticed that my main beam seems to be pointing fairly close in front of the car on one side. Not sure if the main beam can be adjusted separately, will have to have a look.

Missing the Xenons of my Yeti now !

The factory fit bi-xenon headlights at £970 are pricey but worth every penny.

I really dont think the Xenons are that good. The high beam is mediocre at best in my opinion.

A few other people have said the same, fixed by getting them properly aligned.

High beam is a low priority for me, it is dipped beam where the benefits are to be had, after all this is where they are used the most.

If you think the xenon's are bad then try the halogens!

Remember Octavia 3 halogens are not only poor on dip compared to xenons they are also worse than Octavia 2 halogens.

Sneaky change from projector lenses to reflectors (UK market cars)

It would seem options on H15 are limited, this is an alternative to the MTEC.  http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H15-Osram-Cool-Blue-Intense-12V-55-15W-Halogen-Bulb.html. as others have mentioned the cool blue may actually reduce the light output as it is achieved by colouring the glass envelope. Bright whites seem un-obtainable in H15.