Who or what is the biggest threat to SKODA?

ColinD

So is the biggest threat to Skoda our insistence that they make a version of the specific - and potentially niche - vehicle that we want and which probably 2 other arms of the VAG group (as well as other marques) are already making, instead of their insistence on making the "everyday" cars/ crossovers / mini-SUVs that people who "just want a car" would be tempted by ?

They would probably prefer to lose a small number of people who are asking for a Fabia vRS replacement or a 4x4 Petrol , Manual, Octavia Estate if it means dragging plenty of people out of a "default choice" of an ordinary Astra/Golf/Focus/Cee'd/ scenic / C4 and into a Scala or a Kamiq

• Like 1

One way of looking at it.

Another way is that they've managed to build an ulta-niche Kodiaq which doesn't seem to even appeal to the enthusiasts. 

• Administrators

I've not had much comms from skoda over the last 3 years. The last meaningful dialogue was around the superb and the 280, likely to only sell 10 a year in the uk. I nearly lost my lunch when they said that and I disagreed umm... Anyway the upshot was the buzzword then was desirability. No idea what it is now, maybe kaching.

So I'm not entirely sure they'll keep skoda on the 'value' end. 

I think that has now been filled by a few others, dacia etc. I think they believe people will want in. The cars are undoubtedly better today, but not the value they once represented. Nor the individuality. If in 2002 you said a golf was the same platform/basis as the octavia, many would raise an eyebrow. Now it's almost impossible to tell if you arrived in the cabin, or awoke next to it.

I'm still gambling on the hunch, that skoda will appear in US as audi/vw slide, it will be a 'new' european historic brand. Maybe the emissions put paid to that. Who knows what the geopoliticstics will lead to.

TBH I was in a dealer last week and they were not keen on the Kodiaq vRS either. They know me, and given I was talking about a used 280 or 272, the site etc, there was <10% yeehaa about the kodiaq in vRS form... why and who were popular questions.

Although oddly I left thinking naaa, maybe that's the sales mind worm... maybe I do want an SUV. Afterall Ford are gambling most of the range to it's trend. Perhaps then the treat is trend... and how trends seem to chop and change quite quickly now.

Why do I keep seeing a Kia stinger when I'm about town... don't they know the shell garage is the wrong direction from my house.

I keep seeing other marques and I don;t know they seem to have a style, vag is just too the same atm, maybe. Eye test booked next week.

:D

• Like 3

Its tricky but recently, to me, the core values of good value, proven reliable mechanicals, plus solid build and well thought out design that puts function before outright form and 'trend' seems to be what is missing from Skoda at the moment.  There are still some decent cars in the range but nothing is jumping out at me as an 'I fancy one of those' vehicle to replace our Mkii Octy 4x4.  Which is a shame as I can name a few vehicles from other marques that do!

• Like 2

I still want a Kodioq, because for me the design ticks all my boxes, perhaps a FWD drive varient,

BUT with a reliable diesel(and I suppose the 2.0TDI reasonably fits that requirement)

AND  preferably a proper TC automatic gearbox(though I understand the wet DSG's are driver friendly and reliable, but I would need an extended test drive to be sure)

But most of all I want a dealer I can trust, which leaves me driving to Belfast to Myvern Stewart, which is simply too far away, for all those warranty niggles that will require attention.

Which was all to say that many of us want "boring" ordinary reliable  cars , but with good driver ergonomics, and overall that like Ronseal; "does what it says on the tin".

And honest local dealers!

Marcus 

8 hours ago, ColinD said:

I've not had much comms from skoda over the last 3 years. The last meaningful dialogue was around the superb and the 280, likely to only sell 10 a year in the uk. I nearly lost my lunch when they said that and I disagreed umm... Anyway the upshot was the buzzword then was desirability. No idea what it is now, maybe kaching.

So I'm not entirely sure they'll keep skoda on the 'value' end. 

I think that has now been filled by a few others, dacia etc. I think they believe people will want in. The cars are undoubtedly better today, but not the value they once represented. Nor the individuality. If in 2002 you said a golf was the same platform/basis as the octavia, many would raise an eyebrow. Now it's almost impossible to tell if you arrived in the cabin, or awoke next to it.

I'm still gambling on the hunch, that skoda will appear in US as audi/vw slide, it will be a 'new' european historic brand. Maybe the emissions put paid to that. Who knows what the geopoliticstics will lead to.

TBH I was in a dealer last week and they were not keen on the Kodiaq vRS either. They know me, and given I was talking about a used 280 or 272, the site etc, there was <10% yeehaa about the kodiaq in vRS form... why and who were popular questions.

Although oddly I left thinking naaa, maybe that's the sales mind worm... maybe I do want an SUV. Afterall Ford are gambling most of the range to it's trend. Perhaps then the treat is trend... and how trends seem to chop and change quite quickly now.

Why do I keep seeing a Kia stinger when I'm about town... don't they know the shell garage is the wrong direction from my house.

I keep seeing other marques and I don;t know they seem to have a style, vag is just too the same atm, maybe. Eye test booked next week.

:D

Many othermarks have EVs and EVs ready to launch. Skoda are very slow to react to the writing on the wall.

8 hours ago, ColinD said:

46 minutes ago, Odin1123 said:

Many othermarks have EVs and EVs ready to launch. Skoda are very slow to react to the writing on the wall.

I doubt if Czechs have any say about priorities.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sad555 said:

wonder how VAG will find a way to cheat on battery power? and then deny it for a couple of years as usual.

Simple they will claim a 300 mile range only for the disappointed early adopters to scream this is not possible in normal use. Probably 200 mile realistic range or 180 miles on a motorway.:thumbdown:

• Like 1

I must admit the dealer experience has, at times, been stressful, but I suspect that affects all marques.

Skoda UK's recent approach to warranty work in particular where the dealer has to prove a fault exists before a claim can be made, means customers often have to pay £80 for a diagnostic (ffs its only plug in a laptop and scan) and agree to foot the rest of the bill if Skoda UK say no. Then there is the Skoda penalty system for dealers, where warranty claims get thrown out or massive penalties imposed after audit failures that make dealers reluctant to do things free under warranty. @Adrian55555 knows all about this having worked as a warranty manager.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

In many decades of ownership of all the major brands of Japanese cars I never once visited a dealership for any reason after purchasing it.   I did all the servicing and nothing ever failed.

To compete the Germans invented complexity.

You roll the dice and make your choice.

• Like 1

@xman yes vag warranty are getting tighter and tighter. Vag uk also get auditted by germany so they clamp down on dealers as they also get clamped down.

With regards to just plugging in a laptop to diagnose.  Technicians are paid on hours sold. If warranty arent paying for the diagnostic charge... Who is? And a technician doesnt want to work for free as it puts thrm behind on their hours.   Theres a lot more to it than just plugging in a machine

2 hours ago, xman said:

I must admit the dealer experience has, at times, been stressful, but I suspect that affects all marques.

Skoda UK's recent approach to warranty work in particular where the dealer has to prove a fault exists before a claim can be made, means customers often have to pay £80 for a diagnostic (ffs its only plug in a laptop and scan) and agree to foot the rest of the bill if Skoda UK say no. Then there is the Skoda penalty system for dealers, where warranty claims get thrown out or massive penalties imposed after audit failures that make dealers reluctant to do things free under warranty. @Adrian55555 knows all about this having worked as a warranty manager.

Failure to honour a warranty should always be challenged.

1 minute ago, Odin1123 said:

Failure to honour a warranty should always be challenged.

This is when owning a car becomes more stress than it's worth and that was unfortunately my experience with Skoda

• Like 1

I agree, but I refuse to let them get away with it. They cannot unilaterally change the terms and conditions of your warranty after you have bought the car.

As you say next time I buy a car it will not be from the VW stable unless they get their act together.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Adrian55555 said:

@xmanTechnicians are paid on hours sold. If warranty arent paying for the diagnostic charge... Who is? And a technician doesnt want to work for free as it puts thrm behind on their hours.   Theres a lot more to it than just plugging in a machine

Interesting. Are technicians employed on a zero hour contract basis? Do they only get paid for the "book" hours worked on jobs given them? Do they go home or not go in if there's no work booked in for them?

Is that practical or even legal?

It takes less than 5 minutes to scan my car with my reader. So I think £80 is excessive which is about an hours labour.

• Like 1

Not zero based house. But everywhere i have worked techies contracts are 40hrs a week which is 8hrs a day.  If they dont sell the 40hrs per week per month. (they could do be 5 hours behind one week and 5 hours up the next to catch back up)  they just get their basic wage which is quite low!  They make their money on bonus hours. So end of a typical 4 week month if they have sold 180 hours. They have 20hours bonus. Typically their bonus is time and a half per hour.  

The hours sold is when a job gets invoiced.  All jobs have book times typically and calculate by TU (time units =100 time units per hour)  so eg if a basic service is 1.2TU thats 1hr 12mins you get which is when you clock on the job find the car pull it in do a full health check, go to parts dept to get the req'd parts to do the service, do the video that gets sent to the customer

Its a lot to do and if a car is blocked in its more time wasted.  Technicians rush mistakes are then made etc.  

Dont get me wrong, im not defending dealerships here. Just saying how they operate.  Its not the best way imo and a lot of decent technicians are leaving the trade as they are made to do more and more without getting paid and a lot do not make much bonus hours. 

• Thanks 3

Skoda UK Customer Services, Communications, Technical, Resolution Managers are knocking back Paint and Warranty Claims giving the reason that a Body Inspection & Report has not been carried out at Main Dealers.

This is on cars with 'Full Main Dealer Servicing History',  so the History showing Serviced to Fixed or Variable Servicing where a Service should include a 'Body Inspection' for the sake of the Manufacturers Warranty. 

Even though the T&C's of the Warranty does not say Annual or Bi-Annual Body Inspections.

Now Skoda UK know which Main Dealerships / Approved Repairers that take Customers money, be it at Servicing or from Service Plans are not doing what they should do.

When there were Service Books the page for Body Inspections were there after each service page for customers to see the signature, notes, stamp etc.

Now as you collect your car, you might or might not get a print out, and might or might not be notified of damage, repairs not to standard, paint or corrosion issues.

Screenshot 2019-04-13 at 2.48.19 PM.png

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 2

I would go for a Japanese car. VERY reliable and many options included in standard price.

Honda Civic, Mazda 3 are my first options for a car in the same category with my actual car.

And Kia and Hyundai are biting on their heels offering the same relative quality and value compared to them as Skoda once did to VW, Audi, BMW etc.

Not the best choice of words (I am losing my English) but I meant similar engineering, quality and reliability without the price tag of the premium brands.

By the time I am ready to buy a modern car, hopefully a decade or more away then I reckon Kia and Hyundai will have knocked the Japanese makers off their pedestal and maybe even be dropping down from the top themselves.

I think a second hand Skoda say up to 6-8 years old is a smart buy compared to anything else of the same age, not convinced of later than that, a look at future second hand values with a crystal ball would be revealing.

I knew that I had a super reliable car when it finally needed some replacement parts and I went to the breakers yard that I have used since my teens, "got nothing as old as that!" they told me!

A look around the yard seeing all the makes of much more modern undamaged perfect looking scrapped vehicles was very revealing, if you are happy to run older but reliable vehicles like me then a look around the breakers yards will tell you what not to buy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skoffski said:

Skoda UK Customer Services, Communications, Technical, Resolution Managers are knocking back Paint and Warranty Claims giving the reason that a Body Inspection & Report has not been carried out at Main Dealers.

This is on cars with 'Full Main Dealer Servicing History',  so the History showing Serviced to Fixed or Variable Servicing where a Service should include a 'Body Inspection' for the sake of the Manufacturers Warranty. 

Even though the T&C's of the Warranty does not say Annual or Bi-Annual Body Inspections.

Now Skoda UK know which Main Dealerships / Approved Repairers that take Customers money, be it at Servicing or from Service Plans are not doing what they should do.

When there were Service Books the page for Body Inspections were there after each service page for customers to see the signature, notes, stamp etc.

Now as you collect your car, you might or might not get a print out, and might or might not be notified of damage, repairs not to standard, paint or corrosion issues.

Screenshot 2019-04-13 at 2.48.19 PM.png

Every time my car goes in for service or any other reason my dealer takes photos of the car, so they cannot claim they have not checked it.

• Like 1

@Odin1123  Perfect if not just for them and Insurance and about them damaging the car.  So on the Skoda / VW System and done by a Technician checking for the Paint and Corrosion Warranties.

Underneath when on the ramp checking the sills, under rear number plate lights etc, the known places where rust can develop like where people currently are raising warranty claims.

As it is All Vehicles handed in for a Service should have the Service Desk staff sign in that vehicle looking at wheels and body just as Hire Car staff do, 

as a courtesy car might be checked, 

but then that is not an 'Official Body Check' if done by clerical staff. Just them covering the employees taking charge of a vehicle, or handing one out.

Unfortunately now emissions regulated engines are so complex, and in the full knowledge of the use of MTBF to finesse the cost of components, and based on my own direct experience,

I  know some dealers will attempt to bluff about what codes are or are not present, if a simple "re-set" works, without any repairs undertaken, until the car is out of warranty,

then they can magically & correctly diagnose and repair at the customers cost.

And if the problem re-occurs before the warranty expires, and a re-set does not clear it, they can pretend to "discover" it and actually fix it.

Foolproof.

Unfortunately it left me with a very poor feeling about ever owning a Skoda again.

Just to say in respect of my near £1,000.00 EGR repairs(I seem to remember, & there may have been other stuff as well),

Mullhollands cleared the codes twice and sent me away, telling me there were no fault codes recorded ( this in the last couple of months of the extended warranty),

until I returned for the 3rd time with the fault codes safely logged on my laptop.

Btw. the car had showed the same behavouir and warning displays on each of the 3 seperate occasions.

Marcus

Edited by marcusthehat
  • Like 3