VAG DPF App

Speedman

I had thought in the past that I could give the car a good blast, keep the revs high and low gear (50+mph) which should heat up and force any soot out, but after getting the app I've changed my mind. Spirited driving will clear out the engine of any build up, but this will find it's way into the DPF. If (and this is highly likely) the exhaust is not at 500 degrees, all that will happen is the DPF will fill more quickly. Even if there are a few moments of regen during this period, it may not be enough to clear what has just been deposited, so no overall benefit.

I think the most efficient way to keep the engine clear and the DPF is to wait until it's nearly Active regen time, go for a spirited run to clean the injectors etc and then when the ECU decides to regen, go for a steady drive in 4th gear. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cmcm789 said:

I had thought in the past that I could give the car a good blast, keep the revs high and low gear (50+mph) which should heat up and force any soot out

I take a different view from this, I think engine speed doesn't matter much on its own, the engine is still doing similar work at 50mph in 4th as it is in 6th, granted the efficiency will be a bit lower. What I think will get the DPF to regen temps is to put lots of load on the engine to get the turbo working hard and the only way to do this in my mind is either accelerating hard repeatedly like you would going around a track, or going flat to the floor in 6th gear doing way over licensse loosing speed which is very difficult to do without an Autobahn. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 2017-4-7 at 19:30, Redfab said:

I have a vgate icar 2. Disconnects temporarily but once reconnected stays on. 

Can be had for £10-20 if I remember. 

Recommended as one

of the better budget ones by the app author. 

If if it gives me problems in the future I will probably go for the obdlink lx. 

They are about £50 I think. 

theres loads about. Loads of Chinese ones too. 

Just needs to be an Elm327 Bluetooth capable one. 

Hi Red fab, I have just received my vgate icar 2 bluetooth I'm having issues getting it to read the dpf on my mk2 fl cr 170 vrs, it keeps telling me that it can read the ECU but the CAN. 

The error box says engine not supported or bad or faulty EML327

Vgate works with carista ok so I don't think the unit is faulty.

Did you need to change any settings in the app?

Don't think I changed anything. It just recognised mine. I have a 1.6 tdi cayc engine. 

Worth finding out your engine code and posting on the app support page to find out if your engine is supported. If not it may be in the future as the developer is always after feedback and updating. 

Same app author has a short app to test the elm327 adapter   too may be worth checking that out. 

Cheers Redfab, I will do, looking on that app reviews some are saying that the 170 cr vrs is supported some are saying not and seem to get a similar response to me so you may be right could be down to engine code.

I take a look for the elm327 test app.

Thanks DAve. 

• 2 weeks later...

Where abouts is the obd2 on the 2015 Octavia vrs? Im a new owner so haven't had a look yet. I would like to get a compact bluetooth obd reader that can stay plugged in to use with the dpf app.

Thanks in advance.

James

Just now, Rustynuts said:

Look at the light switch on the right hand side of the steering wheel, and go straight down from there to just under the bottom of the dash. It's there.

Thank you I'll take a look in the morning before driving to work.

Is the reader that you purchased small enough to leave plugged in or do you just plug in when you want to see the state of the dpf?

James

On 2017-5-9 at 19:19, Redfab said:

Don't think I changed anything. It just recognised mine. I have a 1.6 tdi cayc engine. 

Worth finding out your engine code and posting on the app support page to find out if your engine is supported. If not it may be in the future as the developer is always after feedback and updating. 

Same app author has a short app to test the elm327 adapter   too may be worth checking that out. 

The app developer has confirmed my CEGA engine is not currently supported :crying:

Has anyone else used any other dpf apps they could recommend? 

21 hours ago, Superman001 said:

Thank you I'll take a look in the morning before driving to work.

Is the reader that you purchased small enough to leave plugged in or do you just plug in when you want to see the state of the dpf?

James

The Vgate have is small enough to leave in permanently, I got it from eobdtool.co.uk. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Currently a VW Passat B8 owner (2.0 TDI 150 CRLB) , I can share my thoughts on this, as I've tracked the performance of DPF for a couple months now.

1) The paid version of the app is worth every single penny and then some, even if only a way to show some support for the developer. I use a cheapo no-name ELM327 purchased on eBay; don't see a reason to invest more in the adapter.

2) My regens also mostly start at ~90% soot load (23g) and finish around 20% (5g). The intervals are 180 to 300 miles, depending on city drives vs highway trips. Yet, on some occasions the DPF fires up at below 80%, and once it was a waiting game until 100+5%. Kinda frustrated about the premature ending of regens, yet see that most users here get the same results. If a regen starts and I know that my next drives will also be short-distance travels, I usually opt to take a short round-trip, just as a measure of caution in general.

3) To get a passive regen you have to either go mad on road (floor it deep - brake - repeat), or go fast. Like, really fast - at least in my experience. The only time I got a somewhat continuous passive regen was on German autobahn, at around 100mph - this was indeed the only time I managed to trigger the mandatory active regen due to 750km driven without one. This is ECU-dictated to prevent costly DPF-related mishaps, I suppose.

4) Aside the extra-injections during active regen, the heat in DPF is seemingly generated by turbo boost, NOT higher revs. Haven't tested this to the extremes though, e.g. going at 4000+RPM constantly, but I can assure that the widely lobbied constant drive at 60mph in 4th gear is nothing but pure waste - if anything, this way more soot is probably generated. As the turbo load is same or even less than in 6th gear, the DPF temps stay low. These are just my observations though, so you probably have to see for yourself. 

5) The oil ash load is somewhat of a mystic measure. So far I haven't noticed any stark changes in ash load dynamics. The developer has found out that max nominal ash load of the DPF equals 80g. I'm at 10g now at 30thsd miles. The thing to point out here is probably that the ash load is the ECU-calculated value, and the developer, as well as multiple users, has seen cars going OK at load twice or even triple that amount. So, another thing to take with a pinch of salt probably. Oh yes, and the measured load increases generally in between regens, not during or just after those. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2017 at 18:59, willemson said:

Currently a VW Passat B8 owner (2.0 TDI 150 CRLB) , I can share my thoughts on this, as I've tracked the performance of DPF for a couple months now.

1) The paid version of the app is worth every single penny and then some, even if only a way to show some support for the developer. I use a cheapo no-name ELM327 purchased on eBay; don't see a reason to invest more in the adapter.

2) My regens also mostly start at ~90% soot load (23g) and finish around 20% (5g). The intervals are 180 to 300 miles, depending on city drives vs highway trips. Yet, on some occasions the DPF fires up at below 80%, and once it was a waiting game until 100+5%. Kinda frustrated about the premature ending of regens, yet see that most users here get the same results. If a regen starts and I know that my next drives will also be short-distance travels, I usually opt to take a short round-trip, just as a measure of caution in general.

3) To get a passive regen you have to either go mad on road (floor it deep - brake - repeat), or go fast. Like, really fast - at least in my experience. The only time I got a somewhat continuous passive regen was on German autobahn, at around 100mph - this was indeed the only time I managed to trigger the mandatory active regen due to 750km driven without one. This is ECU-dictated to prevent costly DPF-related mishaps, I suppose.

4) Aside the extra-injections during active regen, the heat in DPF is seemingly generated by turbo boost, NOT higher revs. Haven't tested this to the extremes though, e.g. going at 4000+RPM constantly, but I can assure that the widely lobbied constant drive at 60mph in 4th gear is nothing but pure waste - if anything, this way more soot is probably generated. As the turbo load is same or even less than in 6th gear, the DPF temps stay low. These are just my observations though, so you probably have to see for yourself. 

5) The oil ash load is somewhat of a mystic measure. So far I haven't noticed any stark changes in ash load dynamics. The developer has found out that max nominal ash load of the DPF equals 80g. I'm at 10g now at 30thsd miles. The thing to point out here is probably that the ash load is the ECU-calculated value, and the developer, as well as multiple users, has seen cars going OK at load twice or even triple that amount. So, another thing to take with a pinch of salt probably. Oh yes, and the measured load increases generally in between regens, not during or just after those. 

Willemsons points above couldnt be more accurate for what I have found out too by using the VAG DPF app.

My 1.6 TDI cayc octavia starts its regens at 87-88% all the time, just over 21g.  They end around 18-20% about 4.7g.  The lowest its ended was 15% approx 3.8g.  They sometimes do end prematurely, usually for me if the driving during the regen is not constant.  I have had one end at 39% and another at 20% which was annoying but the car must have had its reasons.

On a recent very long run I found out (twice) that the distance initiated regenerations happen at 466 miles.

Razzertrevor - if it helps, i have a Vgate ICar 2 bluetooth code reader for mine.  At the moment I think amazon have the Carista one for 9.99, which im told works too.

Edited by Redfab
Add info re distance regens

Hey guys new here. I've been reading a few forums about the DPF's. What a faff to have to do this. Starting to wish i had gone petrol now. Anyway i just received my ODB2 Bluetooth device today and thought i would share it with you all as it's cheap, small, has a on and off button and WORKS! :biggrin:

I tested it with the VAG DPF free app earlier and my soot load was at 21g so i think i will be due a regen soon. I have now purchased the VAG DPF paid version so will use it tomorrow on the run to work.

The ODB2 reader that i bought was this one

Hope this helps. 

Hi Paul,

I got the cheaper 2.1 version and am using it with the Android VAG DPF app. The free one works but I've started using the paid version.

I'll be posting shortly about what I've found. If you were worried about your DPF like I was, don't be. From what I've seen by testing it the active regen system seems to be good in doing its job. All this give it a blast down the motorway at high rpm is overkill. Mine cleared in 15 minutes driving at 30mph in town whilst stoping at lights and junctions etc.

Will post full results and my conclusion in the next few days :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/10/2017 at 18:17, Razzertrevor said:

Hi speed man what obd2 did you buy mate

Hi, My OBD reader was a cheap one from ebay - did work fine but is now playing up and although it connects to the app, it doesn't give any readings.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, snowathlete said:

It looks like the app is only available on Android. I don't have an Android phone else I'd buy the app.

I have the app and a dongle if you are not too far from me drop in and I can do a snapshot of your current figures

John

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all ,been trying to get the app to work with our new 2018   superb 2.0 TDI 150 dsg but it appears this engine group DFGA is not yet supported .I've been in touch with developer but no joy yet , I've got 2 good quality elm 327 adaptors and tried both but from what he is saying ecu is not playing ball with the app ;(