What tyres are they fitting from new?

1 hour ago, teebs said:

P7's on mine and still have usable life with 39,000 on the clock.

If that is the front tyres ( I am assuming these are originals so all the same) then that is impressive.

1 hour ago, Speedman said:

If that is the front tyres ( I am assuming these are originals so all the same) then that is impressive.

Hi,

Yes original front tyres. Will need replacing in the next few weeks (fleet car so they have to be 2mm or less), so it'll have 40k on the clock by then.

• Like 1

Picked up my SEL yesterday and it came with Pirelli Cintauro P7 which was a relief. I downgraded to 17" wheels to deal with the roads around here and will probably change to Michelin Cross Climates in due course.

8 hours ago, teebs said:

Hi,

Yes original front tyres. Will need replacing in the next few weeks (fleet car so they have to be 2mm or less), so it'll have 40k on the clock by then.

Kwik Fit are changing themy tonorrow, be interesting what they fit. I've had all sorts from them before, from budgets to top end all on the same car.

20 hours ago, teebs said:

Kwik Fit are changing themy tonorrow, be interesting what they fit. I've had all sorts from them before, from budgets to top end all on the same car.

Tyres changed at 39,360 miles, replaced with Bridgestone Potenza RE050 (something like that!). £261 fitted by Kwik-Fit mobile.

Will be interesting to compare noise and Wear rates.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/03/2017 at 21:14, BungayBoy said:

Picked up my SEL yesterday and it came with Pirelli Cintauro P7 which was a relief. I downgraded to 17" wheels to deal with the roads around here and will probably change to Michelin Cross Climates in due course.

Let us know how the Pirelli Cintauro P7 are for wet grip and general traction and noise.

I have Conti Premium contacts fitted and now down to 3mm (8k miles) so getting them changed next month..

1 hour ago, RickTT said:

Let us know how the Pirelli Cintauro P7 are for wet grip and general traction and noise.

These were the factory fit on mine, though 18" and not 19" and also 4x4.

They are branded as "eco" tyres. In use since late 2015. I've found wet grip is good, general traction is adequate, noise is poor (my biggest complaint), wear is excellent (unfortunately).

In summary, I dislike them. I'll likely change them towards the end of the year after I switch back to the winter tyres, regardless of wear. Two years use won't make me feel so bad about ditching what will probably still be a perfectly usable set of tyres.

28 minutes ago, BillyJim said:

These were the factory fit on mine, though 18" and not 19" and also 4x4.

They are branded as "eco" tyres. In use since late 2015. I've found wet grip is good, general traction is adequate, noise is poor (my biggest complaint), wear is excellent (unfortunately).

In summary, I dislike them. I'll likely change them towards the end of the year after I switch back to the winter tyres, regardless of wear. Two years use won't make me feel so bad about ditching what will probably still be a perfectly usable set of tyres.

I have to agree with this, though with a 2WD 220 I found them fairly slippy and easy to light up at the front in damp conditions. They're just too hard imho (there's the eco thing again, and as Alex says the source of much of the noise). I swapped the fronts to Michelin Primacy 3 (XL touring) and not only are they far quieter and more compliant, but they don't slip even when pressing on hard in the wet/around bends.

7 hours ago, RickTT said:

I have now driven 1500 miles and most of the time (dry or wet roads) I don't have a problem with them. I had to deal with mud on a hill last week and they were appalling so when they are due for replacement I will be going for Cross Climates.

I agree with the comments about the Pirelli tyres. They are the noisiest tyres I have had in a while. Wear is almost non existent, grrrrh. Grip is above average but not that good in the wet. I prefer either Dunlop or Goodyear for comfort and quiet but you pay the price on wear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sagalout said:

I agree with the comments about the Pirelli tyres. They are the noisiest tyres I have had in a while. Wear is almost non existent, grrrrh. Grip is above average but not that good in the wet. I prefer either Dunlop or Goodyear for comfort and quiet but you pay the price on wear.

Honest John is a great fan of Michelin cross climate. My brother has Michelins on his Mazda and they are very quiet.

10 hours ago, facet edge said:

Honest John is a great fan of Michelin cross climate. My brother has Michelins on his Mazda and they are very quiet.

We have Cross Climate on a Ford Focus.  Very quiet and excellent grip but the wear rate is quite high.

12 hours ago, Sagalout said:

The test S3 I had was fitted with Hankook Ventus and my car has arrived with Pirelli P7's.  The Pirellis are much quieter and grip from take-off is better.  For compact exec the best summer tyres for noise and grip IMHO are Goodyear F1 and Dunlop SportMaxx RT but the Dunlop wear rate is frightening.

• Like 1