Dishonest Main Dealer

petdeb

During a touring holiday in the South of France last October a fault warning light appeared on the dash display of my 8 month old Skoda Fabia TDI Mk 3.  I stopped and then restarted my car engine and the warning light did not reappear. When back home in the North of England I took my car to my local Skoda Main Agent (Simpsons Skoda Preston) to be advised on the warning light.   After waiting for 3 hours the Service Manager appeared with a piece of A4 discoloured paper which he said had been on fire and had melted the wiring of the Lamba Probe.  This, I was told, would cost me £324 to replace.   I took my car away and on reflection thought that it sounded a bit fishy.  The paper had not ignited and the warning light had not reappeared since.  I took my car to another Skoda Agent who connected their diagnostics system and could not find any fault. They showed me the supposed damaged wiring harness which was like new with no sign of damage or heat.  I took my car to a third Main Agent and after connecting it the diagnostics they again told me there was no fault with my car.  I contacted the CEO Owner of the original Main Agent who had invented the fault.  He initially showed concern but when I insisted, he eventually told me he would put it on the National Skoda Data System that there was a faulty Lamba Probe on my car so that I would not be able to get it repaired at any Skoda Dealer Garage.   I then complained to Skoda UK and after a much persistence they offered to allow me £324 against servicing by a Skoda Garage.  I protested to to the CEO of Skoda UK and was told that was all I would get.  Skoda UK also said they would not contact the Skoda Main agent behind the scam.   Has anyone else been subjected to this kind of scam from a Main Agent of inventing none existent faults so they can pretend to complete and charge for fictitious work.  I call it attempted theft.  Many customers would believe a Main Agent and then pay them for work which was never carried out.  I worry that many customers will be taken in by the scam.     

Edited by petdeb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, petdeb said:

During a touring holiday in the South of France last October a fault warning light appeared on the dash display of my 8 month old Skoda Fabia TDI Mk 3.  I stopped and then restarted my car engine and the warning light did not reappear. When back home in the North of England I took my car to my local Skoda Main Agent (Simpsons Skoda Preston) to be advised on the warning light.   After waiting for 3 hours the Service Manager appeared with a piece of A4 discoloured paper which he said had been on fire and had melted the wiring of the Lamba Probe.  This, I was told, would cost me £324 to replace.   I took my car away and on reflection thought that it sounded a bit fishy.  The paper had not ignited and the warning light had not reappeared since.  I took my car to another Skoda Agent who connected their diagnostics system and could not find any fault. They showed me the supposed damaged wiring harness which was like new with no sign of damage or heat.  I took my car to a third Main Agent and after connecting it the diagnostics they again told me there was no fault with my car.  I contacted the CEO Owner of the original Main Agent who had invented the fault.  He initially showed concern but when I insisted, he eventually told me he would put it on the National Skoda Data System that there was a faulty Lamba Probe on my car so that I would not be able to get it repaired at any Skoda Dealer Garage.   I then complained to Skoda UK and after a much persistence they offered to allow me £324 against servicing by a Skoda Garage.  I protested to to the CEO of Skoda UK and was told that was all I would get.  Skoda UK also said they would not contact the Skoda Main agent behind the scam.   Has anyone else been subjected to this kind of scam from a Main Agent of inventing none existent faults so they can pretend to complete and charge for fictitious work.  I call it attempted theft.  Many customers would believe a Main Agent and then pay them for work which was never carried out.  I worry that many customers will be taken in by the scam.     

That is absolutely appalling - I'm not sure which is worse, the original false claim for the damaged sensor - or the direct threat to list this claimed fault on the Skoda data system. Do you feel confident enough in your case to name and shame? Other users deserve protection from people like this and I am shocked that Skoda UK are not prepared to take sanctions against them.   

• Like 1

That's my local dealer too. Just had my first service this morning. It went well thankfully.

I would definitely persist with that until it's dealt with properly. I would keep emailing people to keep a record of all correspondence.

Edited by RickW

Before I posted this I emailed owner of Simpsons Skoda with the History of the case, to asked if he would correct anything he thought was untrue.   He then said he'd put my complaint to Skoda UK.  When I contacted them they knew nothing about my experience.  It has taken me a considerable amountt of time and expense to reach this point, with writing to the parties involved and travelling about 200 miles going around the dealers and have only published it when I tried my best to reach a resolution, but failed.   

Before I posted this I emailed owner of Simpsons Skoda with the History of the case, to asked if he would correct anything he thought was untrue.   He then said he'd put my complaint to Skoda UK.  When I contacted them they knew nothing about my experience.  It has taken me a considerable amount of time and expense to reach this point, with writing to the parties involved and travelling about 200 miles going around the dealers and have only published it when I tried my best to reach a resolution, but failed.   I feel very worried about entrusting my car with the Agent again because I'd wonder what they would do to it.

How would one take out this kind of scam up as a small claim?

Edited by petdeb

How are you actually out of pocket? Did you pay the initial £324 charge to have your car repaired, or was that a quote to have the repair carried out which you refused?

If you didn't have the work done, then I don't think anyone could reasonably make an offer of recompense that would reimburse you for any losses. If you did have the work done then why would you be trailing round other dealers asking them to look at it?

Shocking treatment but not all that surprised. I had similar works of fiction created to help me part with cash but at another Skoda main dealer. The Skoda brand is rotten from the top down.

• Like 2

I'd ask the owner of the dealership by email if they are happy for you to ask Skoda UK to comment if they object to you taking the matter to a national paper, giving them 24 hours to reply, then if no reply contact Skoda UK with a copy of your request to the dealer, once again 24 hours to reply.

Skoda UK - When frustrated by the Customer Service of Skoda UK, I contacted the CEO, Duncan Movassaghi.   He also gave me the the runaround but when I persisted, he then passed me to down the line, who then told me they would not do anymore than their Customer service had done.  I at least expected them to make sure this would not happen again, but as I said in my main post, they said they would not be contacting the bad agent.

Rustynuts: It was only because I realised it was a scam that I did finish up paying.  How many have been caught out by this is the question.  There is no fault so no repair necessary.  But if there is no consequence for the Bad Agent then they will carry on scamming.

Edited by petdeb

36 minutes ago, petdeb said:

Rustynuts: It was only because I realised it was a scam that I did finish up paying.  How many have been caught out by this is the question.  There is no fault so no repair necessary.  But if there is no consequence for the Bad Agent then they will carry on scamming.

I take it that was an error, and that you didn't pay when you realised?

Skoda UK - When frustrated by the Customer Service of Skoda UK, I contacted the CEO, Duncan Movassaghi.   He also gave the the runaround but when I persisted, he then passed me to down the line, who then told me they would not do anymore than their Customer service had done.  

FREEDOM, the Service manager said the discoloured paper had set on fire and melted the Lamba Harness.   That is what made me suspicious, when I reflected the paper was still intact so had not been on fire.  

^^^ An indication of what and who you are dealing with, and this is their job.

Really this thread should go to the General Car Chat section for more to see, 

and i hope you have posted in the Dealer Review Section.

Skoda UK Customer Services and Skoda UK Senior Management need to treat this more seriously as it is not just a one off these days in 

their Official Appointed Dealerships. 

Actually VW Group UK need to get involved as the general motoring public can so easily be de-frauded, but then that is dishonest and illegal, 

so matters can be reported to the police if someone or a business conspires to defraud.

Obtain money by false pretences.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

Having contacted the CEO of Skoda UK and finding little interest, I had thought of informing the people at their EU Headquarters.  Does anyone know the name of the CEO there and his email.

7 minutes ago, petdeb said:

Having contacted the CEO of Skoda UK and finding little interest, I had thought of informing the people at their EU Headquarters.  Does anyone know the name of the CEO there and his email.

I doubt you will get any further with them either

If you want to make more progress go to trading standards

You have lost me, did you have any work done? If you did have work carried out then obviously when another dealer looked at it then no fault would be evident?, You say you didn't pay but was still offered a refund by way of service credit by SUK? If you did have the work done then obviously the fault wouldn't reappear? Sorry your writing as left me confused. As an aside I have always had excellent service from Simpsons, all be it the Colne branch.

• Like 1