chimp1965

I refill at half a tank usually but I never trusted fuel gauges anyway!

I filled the tank on a new Avenger to go to Wales but the tank seam

leaked and strangely there was no smell of fuel (carried away by

the wind?) the gauge stayed resolutely at half tank until I ran out of fuel

9 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

I refill at half a tank usually but I never trusted fuel gauges anyway!

I filled the tank on a new Avenger to go to Wales but the tank seam

leaked and strangely there was no smell of fuel (carried away by

the wind?) the gauge stayed resolutely at half tank until I ran out of fuel

I had an Avenger GT (!) in '75 which developed a massive leak from a rotten tank seam.

Must have beeb a bad batch !

Edited by graham47

I've run mine down to '0' and kept going (gingerly) before filling up.  I have found that this and other cars tend to understate the amount left.

I always fill up after the 'refill' warning has appeared.  I don't see the point of carrying around half a tank of fuel (20+ kg) that I will never use.

• Like 2

I run from full to about 20 miles left if not on a long run and struggle to get 50 litres in meaning there is at least 5 litres left that would cover about 70 miles.

4 minutes ago, Urrell said:

I run from full to about 20 miles left if not on a long run and struggle to get 50 litres in meaning there is at least 5 litres left that would cover about 70 miles.

Ditto, I have had to go past zero range once and still could not get the stated capacity in. Probably still had 20 miles left having gone about 10 miles beyond zero. Not good practice though as there may be sdiment in the bottom of the tank and a slight slope may take the intake out of the fuel.

1 hour ago, graham47 said:

I had an Avenger GT (!) in '75 which developed a massive leak from a rotten tank seam.

Must have beeb a bad batch !

The main fault was the tanks collapsed because they were so thin and badly vented,

mine was a new car and rust already in the seam. Ditto an Avenger GT the balance

pipe between the carbs was also a problem, petrol got between the laminations and

formed a "bubble" that shut off fuel to the other carb, left this would collapse and

the car ran normally.

2 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Ditto, I have had to go past zero range once and still could not get the stated capacity in. Probably still had 20 miles left having gone about 10 miles beyond zero. Not good practice though as there may be sdiment in the bottom of the tank and a slight slope may take the intake out of the fuel.

I've never understood how that would be happen if the fuel is sourced from the bottom of the tank all the time.

The outlet pipe to the pump may not be under the remaining fluid if the car is on a steep hill or indeed braking hard or accelerating. Depends where the take off is and it is not usually right at the bottom to stop debris sucking in.

19 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

The main fault was the tanks collapsed because they were so thin and badly vented,

mine was a new car and rust already in the seam. Ditto an Avenger GT the balance

pipe between the carbs was also a problem, petrol got between the laminations and

formed a "bubble" that shut off fuel to the other carb, left this would collapse and

the car ran normally.

In the 1970'a fuel crisis there was a spate of fuel being stolen from cars' petrol tanks.  Our company's car fleet manager fitted locking filler caps to all the company's Ford Cortinas.  Unfortunately the tank vent was through the standard cap and the locking caps were not vented.  The resulting vacuum collapsed the tank and drivers suddenly found that the tank capacity had halved!  Half the fleet needed new petrol tanks.

I have run my car down to 25 miles left and then filled up with 54 litres (55 litre tank!).  The most I have every put in the tank was 55.71 litres in France on a Sunday when many petrol stations are closed and we drove far further than planned until we found one open.

30 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Not good practice though as there may be sediment in the bottom of the tank and a slight slope may take the intake out of the fuel.

The outlet is in the bottom of the tank so any "sediment" would come thru from a full tank.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weasley said:

I've run mine down to '0' and kept going (gingerly) before filling up.  I have found that this and other cars tend to understate the amount left.

I always fill up after the 'refill' warning has appeared.  I don't see the point of carrying around half a tank of fuel (20+ kg) that I will never use.

Yes, that's been my experience fortunately!

Unless I'm going on a long journey I never fill my tank for the reason given, usually half full or a bit more, which lasts me for getting on for a couple of weeks.

The first warning for me is at about 100 miles when the fuel pump gets loud - I'm guessing because the almost empty tank is amplifying the sound. it starts to get annoying so I'm forced to fill up, well half! 

I once got down to just below a quarter full but panicked and filled up again quick. I'm also always at least 15 minutes early for any appointment - used to drive my wife round the bend :).

• Like 1

Why would anybody (purposely)run the tank so low and experience the chance of (a)running out of fuel and (b) sucking up sh,,e from the bottom of the tank to contaminate the fuel system?

Edited by Sad555
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Sad555 said:

Why would anybody run the tank so low and experience the chance of (a)running out of fuel and (b) sucking up sh,,e from the bottom of the tank to contaminate the fuel system?

Inheritance?.

Multiple users.

23 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Why would anybody (purposely)run the tank so low and experience the chance of (a)running out of fuel and (b) sucking up sh,,e from the bottom of the tank to contaminate the fuel system?

Less fill ups. I can fill up once a month if I run it right down. 

Why fill up every week if you don't have to?

Edited by Nobbi1977
  • Like 1