Passat to Superb

I'm thinking of trading in my Mk7 Passat estate for a Mk2 Superb estate. I had an Octavia a few years back, which was great, but had problems with the seats so unfortuantely had to go.

I've been reading some of the forum posts on here about the seats in the Superb being uncomfortable, are the majority of people here happy with their seats?

I'm leaning towards an automatic due to having a manual 2.0 diesel which is suffering from DMF failure, so would appreciate people's thoughts on whether to go DSG or not when matched with the 2.0 (170) diesel. 

I find the seats fine but I have an Elegance which has a lot of adjustment options. We're all different shapes though - there's no substitute for sitting in one for a while and seeing how you find it.

The DSG transmission still has a DMF though with the computer handling the gearshift it'll possibly last a bit longer than in the manual.

The DSG is geared a bit shorter than the manual so may not be as economical. It does work nicely behind the 170 though.

Seats are extremely uncomfortable for me. You just cannot find the right adjustment. And the upper seam of leather seat presses all the time into your butt. Textile seats are better.

Maybe for smaller guys they are ok, but I am 187 cm with some weight.

Even considered leaving Skoda brand, but Superb III Sportline`s seats are worth to reconsider.

I'm 182 and 78kg and find the seats in my 2014 very comfortable.

That said, the cars seats came with the full range of electric adjustments as well as fully adjustable lumbar support so they damn well should be OK, once they re setup to suit me. A friend who is a big guy and by his own admission a "wide load", was not so happy - the deep bolsters were definitely pinching him and no adjustment was going to solve that. 

Compared with my mondeo the superb seats feel more restrictive as they have higher bolsters  and are narrower ,they are ok if you are a medium sized person, go for the mondeo if you're on the large side

I always found the seats fine and very comfortable but I'm not the tallest person so didn't have issues with side bolsters.  They do take a while to get used to and bed in a bit.  The DSG with the 170 is the way to go if you can find a good one.

Appreciate your comments chaps.

I was going to go for a test drive at the weekend, but looks like the Superb I was interested in has sold. Will have to keep looking.

Tried a Mondeo at the weekend, wanted to like it, but felt really cramped when driving compared to the Passat. Nice leather seats though. 

I hated seats in my Superb when I bought it - for few weeks ;) now it's OK :) but I miss the seats from my previous Seat Leon FR with sport pack :(

There's a huge range of adjustment available, especially in the Elegance, and I wonder if a lot of people never fully explore it. When I initially got mine I had a hard time getting comfortable, but enough playing around with the settings got me nice and comfy.

• Like 1

Make sure you get one with electric seats for more adjustment options, I only have the manual (leather) seats in mine though and I find them very good even over long distances but I am only 27 and my back hasn't got picky about seats yet.

Only thing I would say is that it won't handle as well as your Passat so make sure you give one a good test drive and see what you think.

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 2

Our V70 seats were softer and wider but had less support. The Passat gets some ergonomical seats with thigh support and other things that Skoda did not get their hands on. Superb seat are o.k. for a 10 hour trip though.

13 hours ago, jafo said:

I hated seats in my Superb when I bought it - for few weeks ;) now it's OK :) but I miss the seats from my previous Seat Leon FR with sport pack :(

Likewise - I wasn't sure when I first got my Superb II (poverty spec textile seats) as I was used to the flatter seats in the Superb I (my favorite seats ever were in a Saab 9000cs)  - However after a few weeks either I got used to them or they gave in to my ample 6ft 4" frame but now I think they are great. I have had back issues (used to get twinges after couple of hundred miles in my Superb I) but with my Superb II I managed to drive all the way to the Black Forest in Germany without a single twinge! 

Actually the combination of "long journey comfortable" seats and the refinement of the engine/road & wind noise make the car an amazing long distance mile muncher

Try a LONG test drive in whatever you want to buy - one persons perfect seat is another persons nightmare

Worst seat I have ever had was on a top of the range 2.0 Renault 21 Savanna(company car) . Initially very comfortable but they crippled me after 100 miles - used to take make 20 mins to straighten my back. Infact I think this thing is to blame for my back problems today!

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Done 900+ miles in one go few times - with of course few stops to refuel ;) - through Europe - felt like it was 100 :) 

Also few times Manchester - London and back - was more bored than tired :)

Yep - Superb is great long distance cruiser - but only when "modified" if you have lead foot ;)

The base of my Elegance drivers seat isn't very comfortable, it feels like the padding has collapsed. Any ideas as to where I can get it repaired in the West Midlands?

Made observations yesterday. If you sit like virgin, knees together, then the seat is ok. If you split your legs, left leg hits upper sewed seam and soon pain will spread all over the thigh.

Besides, I am not the only one, who noticed, that you do not sit straight behind the steering wheel. The seat is slightly left (right in UK) from center axxis. Probably this is the main cause to the problems.

Mondeo had really good seats, could drive days and days without problem.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Outrunner said:

The base of my Elegance drivers seat isn't very comfortable, it feels like the padding has collapsed. Any ideas as to where I can get it repaired in the West Midlands?

I bought a second hand seat on ebay for my 250 k mondeo  ,unbolted , removed  and  dismantled the seat ( which was fairly easy ) , then put the foam from the ebay seat in my original seat so the ,material matched and I have a comfy seat again

The dsg needs an oil change every 40000 miles. very expensive job even if you buy the kit to do it yourself.

Beautiful drive with a 170 but if you boot it to get out of trouble, the dsg drops a gear first and this creates quite a time delay before you move faster. very frustrating.

On 5/16/2017 at 21:03, magicpants said:

I'm leaning towards an automatic due to having a manual 2.0 diesel which is suffering from DMF failure, so would appreciate people's thoughts on whether to go DSG or not when matched with the 2.0 (170) diesel. 

PS The DSG also has a DMF

Actually I think the DSG has 2 DMFs. However the garage can't weasel out of paying to replace them under warranty if they fail early by saying you're not using the clutch correctly when it's a DSG...

1 hour ago, psycholist said:

However the garage can't weasel out of paying to replace them under warranty if they fail early by saying you're not using the clutch correctly when it's a DSG...

When Skoda publishes market data that shows sales of DSG equipped cars have increased by a huge percentage - I'm going to email this post so that they know why....  ;)