Modifying Your Fabia MK III

On 16/07/2017 at 22:01, matt_black_90 said:

I’ve made a mod to the phone holder in my Fabia that I’m pretty happy with. :)

The holder was too small for my phone(Nexus 6)

So I used an exacto knife to carve the inside to fit my phone. It was kind of easy because it is about 2mm of rubber on each wall in the holder before you come to the abs-plastic.

aaR1q0W.jpg

After that i drilled a hole in the bottom and superglued a piece of pcb with a micro usb male connector. It originally came from an old phone dock.

I than soldered an usb cable with a male connector and then secured the wires and pcb with some hot glue.

NGTnLap.jpg

OaLrM83.jpg

Now i can just slide in my phone in the holder and it will charge and i can use Android Auto :)

JWno1XR.jpg

Z6iumS7.jpg

How deep is the cupholder? Looks great 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 23/06/2018 at 01:53, Lucas8024 said:

Just bought my monte carlo a few weeks ago. 

Only done a few mods to it so far.

I've lowered it on eibach springs (30/45mm) and sprayed the badges black. 

Also clayed, polished and waxed.

received_2033618743375086.thumb.jpeg.51b6930c3a898d02ca91f892dae9904d.jpegreceived_2033621363374824.thumb.jpeg.669b07c494f5cfc53de630beb4079aa9.jpeg

How is the ride? Just got some for my Estate before I go coilovers it looks great! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dannyboy85 said:

How is the ride? Just got some for my Estate before I go coilovers it looks great! 

Thanks mate, it looks so much better than the standard height and honestly, it's not that much different. I dont find it overly bumpy at all. Never had any passengers complain, even when I've given grandparents lifts.

10 hours ago, Lucas8024 said:

Thanks mate, it looks so much better than the standard height and honestly, it's not that much different. I dont find it overly bumpy at all. Never had any passengers complain, even when I've given grandparents lifts.

Brilliant! Mine is like a cloud at the moment especially when setting off it pitches up so definitely looking forward to getting rid of that! 

078547F8-A526-4556-8FC6-43AF3817255B.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dannyboy85 said:

Brilliant! Mine is like a cloud at the moment especially when setting off it pitches up so definitely looking forward to getting rid of that! 

078547F8-A526-4556-8FC6-43AF3817255B.jpeg

I definitely noticed a difference in body roll. Did you go for the eibach 30mm 40mm? Very nice colour that by the way

2 hours ago, Dannyboy85 said:

Took me about 3hrs all done! Looks so much better! Just need to calibrate the lights now.

504A031B-161F-436C-8B15-CF33166D0F78.jpeg

Very nice! Do the wheels rub at all at full lock? Wondering for when i do mine.

22 minutes ago, FabiaGonzales said:

Very nice! Do the wheels rub at all at full lock? Wondering for when i do mine.

Not had any rubbing so far will let you know after next weeks commute. This is the 30mm front 45mm rear Edibach kit.

10 hours ago, Lucas8024 said:

I've had mine on for nearly a year and never had any issues with 17s on

I can't really imagine why it should cause any issue tbh, mine are 16s, i suppose when i do get it done probably next year ill make sure i check before i throw out those rings.

• Like 1

Well got a few miles in and it’s perfect looks wise and still pretty comfortable but I think overall the shocks/struts are too soft. So at speed you still get that bit of bobbly feeling rather than firm reaction to the road.  Compared to my 14plate A3 on Edibach springs. So... will probably have some springs up for sale soon as I will be giving the stx coilovers a try see if that firms things up. 

Also, does anyone know if there are any updated shocks/struts as that might possibly sort it instead of going coilover seeing as it’s only the front that’s actually coilovers anyway. 

Edited by Dannyboy85

41 minutes ago, Dannyboy85 said:

Well got a few miles in and it’s perfect looks wise and still pretty comfortable but I think overall the shocks/struts are too soft. So at speed you still get that bit of bobbly feeling rather than firm reaction to the road.  Compared to my 14plate A3 on Edibach springs. So... will probably have some springs up for sale soon as I will be giving the stx coilovers a try see if that firms things up. 

Also, does anyone know if there are any updated shocks/struts as that might possibly sort it instead of going coilover seeing as it’s only the front that’s actually coilovers anyway. 

Febi Bilstein does some uprated shocks.

They're the yellow ones, you will have to manually check the part numbers to check which it is, Euro Car Parts seems down atm, and autodoc doesn't list the B number for some reason.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/shock-absorber-10221/skoda/fabia/fabia-estate-nj5/108662-1-2-tsi?sort_supplier[]=bilstein

Here's a better link that actually has the stiffness on the names!

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/car-brands/spare-parts-skoda/fabia-estate-nj5/108662/10221/shock-absorber.html?brand[]=16

The B4 is standard, B6 is stiffer, and B8 is stiffer again.

Edited by FabiaGonzales

6 minutes ago, FabiaGonzales said:

Febi Bilstein does some uprated shocks.

They're the yellow ones, you will have to manually check the part numbers to check which it is, Euro Car Parts seems down atm, and autodoc doesn't list the B number for some reason.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/shock-absorber-10221/skoda/fabia/fabia-estate-nj5/108662-1-2-tsi?sort_supplier[]=bilstein

The B4 is standard, B6 is stiffer, and B8 is stiffer again.

Cheers bud. I’m on the fence because at that price I’d be better off going coilovers I think... 

Just now, Dannyboy85 said:

Cheers bud. I’m on the fence because at that price I’d be better off going coilovers I think... 

Did you get new shocks alongside the springs to begin with? If not those shocks are probably not in great health, how many miles has the car got on it so far?

Using old shocks with lowering springs often ends up with them leaking and failing shortly after, the seal ends up resting in a new position and ends up leaking.

My shocks are on the way out anyway so if they survive to next year (if they pass the MOT) ill be putting B6 and Eibach springs in. As well as replacing almost everything in the front suspension for new parts... hit enough potholes i'm suprised it hasn't fallen off yet 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FabiaGonzales said:

Did you get new shocks alongside the springs to begin with? If not those shocks are probably not in great health, how many miles has the car got on it so far?

Using old shocks with lowering springs often ends up with them leaking and failing shortly after, the seal ends up resting in a new position and ends up leaking.

My shocks are on the way out anyway so if they survive to next year (if they pass the MOT) ill be putting B6 and Eibach springs in. As well as replacing almost everything in the front suspension for new parts... hit enough potholes i'm suprised it hasn't fallen off yet 😂

Its got 3000 miles 😂

44 minutes ago, FabiaGonzales said:

Fair lol, just needs stiffer shocks then! Has lowering effected the body roll and the squat when accelerating much/at all?

Yes, definitely better on acceleration and roll but over large bumps just rebounds too much. Same at high speed with directional changes gives the bobbly feeling kind of like stock. I’ve ordered some of the ST X Coilovers so hopefully they will be better. 

1 hour ago, Dannyboy85 said:

Yes, definitely better on acceleration and roll but over large bumps just rebounds too much. Same at high speed with directional changes gives the bobbly feeling kind of like stock. I’ve ordered some of the ST X Coilovers so hopefully they will be better. 

Could maybe be the progressive spring rate too, i've read they're designed to replicate the stock springs with normal use and then stiffen up when being driven harder round corners etc.

Let us know how the coilovers go!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2018 at 18:23, matt_black_90 said:

Debadged my Monte Carlo :biggrin:

Now i'm just waiting for new Skoda emblems from Superskoda: http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/FABIA-III/Fabia-III-original-Skoda-emblem-INT-version-FRONT

o3-znk-int-f7a.jpg

2018-07-02-19-17-16.jpg

What colour badge did you go for? Looked myself and wasn't sure what was right as they don't have one called 'meteor grey'

Good morning, or evening lads and ladies!

As I'm new to the forum, I guess I should introduce myself in this space!

• Car: 2017 Skoda Fabia (Mk3) w/ Premium Sports Pack (DSG)
  • Power Rating: 81kw / 175 Nm (110hp)
  • Suspension: Factory Sport Suspension
  • Wheels: 17" Rims, running Potenzas Re010A (215/45/R17)
  • Country of Origin: Australia [Living in a hole OTL]

Planned Mods: Since hanging with my friends I've been itching to modify my car:

• Lowering Suspension with Eibachs 30-45 lowering springs.
  • Swapping out front halogen headlights for LED/HIDs [to match DRLs]
  • Possibly searching for Monte Carlo rear diffuser/spoiler for aesthetics
  • MAYBE getting an ECU tune [APR vs BSR vs Dyno Tune]

Dilemma: Itching to modify, but I am entirely inexperienced in this realm - My first ever car.

• Is lowering the car simple to do? All I see are the after math, but no tutorials [Will browse forums after post]
    • Where does one find the axle load? Can't seem to find mine in the manual or on the car..
    • Einbach vs Vgotland vs KWs? Apparently Einbach progressives sag over time 😕 
  • Any recommendations for H7 LED or HID kits? [Why can't the headlights match DRL's from factory >8( ]
    • Wondering if installation is simple, but will browse forums after making the post.
  • ECU Tune: Not really too keen into power mods for now. BUT for future reference:
    • For a tune, is it better to remap with BSR/APR, or just go dyno tuning?

Sorry about the essay - Having read through everything in this forum, most owners own Monte's and I'm lowkey kicking myself for not spending the extra bit and getting myself a Monte HAHA... just couldn't seem to justify the extra $5000 on my end, for just cosmetics (i.e. sunroof and body kit). [I bought my Skoda for $16,990 AUD, while the Monte Carlo was $21,990 drive away]. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Also highkey really loving my Fabia ❤️ Feels quick without being too fast! :) 

23B503C3-DC7F-4F1D-902C-AD7BD65E2236.png

062BCD92-C219-482A-A0A5-8A3B408ECDA8.png

33 minutes ago, xCelcia said:
  • Is lowering the car simple to do? All I see are the after math, but no tutorials [Will browse forums after post]
    • Where does one find the axle load? Can't seem to find mine in the manual or on the car..
    • Einbach vs Vgotland vs KWs? Apparently Einbach progressives sag over time 😕 
  • Any recommendations for H7 LED or HID kits? [Why can't the headlights match DRL's from factory >8( ]
    • Wondering if installation is simple, but will browse forums after making the post.
  • ECU Tune: Not really too keen into power mods for now. BUT for future reference:
    • For a tune, is it better to remap with BSR/APR, or just go dyno tuning?

Axle load is in the manual i believe. If not, the springs you look at have different options, yours will be the lower of them, as the higher load ratings are for the 1.2 TSI and the 1.4 TDI engines. Being a 1.0 with DSG, it may actually bring it up to the same axle load as a 1.2 non-DSG.

Check the manual first though, don't take my word for it. It should also say what engine/transmission the springs are for on the product page. If it's a good retailer at least.

I've not heard about any such issues with Eibach springs. Eibachs are best paired with a set of slightly stiffer shocks though, Bilstein B6 or B8 (B8 is a shortened version of B6 for if you decided to go really mad with lowering) shocks are perfect.

They're designed to feel like stock when driven normally, but when a bit more load is put on with some "spirited" driving, they stiffen up and support the weight of the car better. Eibachs with normal shocks, may feel a little floaty when driven normally.

Go for H7 LEDs, make sure you get a decent brand though, Philips does a good set. You may need some bigger dirt caps for behind the bulbs though.

As for ECU tune, i would take it to a big brand, who will have their own generic maps as starting points, then tailor it specific to your vehicle. Cheaper places usually just either dump a generic map in there, or see "ooh a turbo, turn off boost limits" and don't really consider the negatives of such actions.

Big companies are also more likely to provide support down the line if you have issues with the map, some provide warranty on the engine/transmission too. They also have the money to do real reasearch on the limits of the engines and know what can and shouldn't be tweaked.

Note, want more than 130 BHP? You'll need to go hybrid turbo. That'll take you to about 180.

• Thanks 1