vRS seat comfort

Hi all,

I bought a 2014 vRS TSI DSG 2 weeks ago, very reluctantly trading in my immaculate 2010 mk2 fl vRS to help fund the purchase. I really love my new toy, but have got a real problem with the seat which is giving me chronic backache and completely ruining the whole experience. I have driven about 700 miles since I bought the car and adjusted everything countless times to try and alleviate the discomfort (steering, seat height, distance from steering wheel, lumbar support), but simply cannot get comfortable and am on the brink of returning the car to the dealer, no doubt at further great cost to me.

I don't have a back problem and after driving my 14 year old Honda Jazz today (not remembered as being the paragon of automotive comfort), I did not have any sign of a backache.

I have read a few posts from people experiencing problems with these seats. Has anyone resolved them using an aftermarket seat base bolster or back cushion, which for me would defeat the object of having nice looking sports seats, or offer any advice that might save me from a fit of pique and asking for my money back?

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the seat vladRS.  Unfortunately, I think it is entirely a personal circumstances thing.  I find my 2014 MkIII vRS seat the most comfortable of any car seat I've had (and I've owned a few cars).  By comparison, I had a Holden Commodore GTR for a while and I had to get rid of it because the seat was too uncomfortable, and yet there are thousands of Commodores on the road which suggests not too many other people have an issue with its seat.  Hopefully you find a resolution, without too much expense. 

Do keep trying to get comfortable! Changing will cost loads & rob you of a great car! 

Yes, trying my best but so far nothing has worked. I love my cars and driving, but this problem is so bad for me that unless I solve it, I may have no alternative other than return it at a loss. I have owned Octavia vRSes for the past 8 years (all mk2) but may have to look elsewhere. Giving myself a couple of days away from the car and will give it another try on Thursday. Such a pity something like this is ruining a great car.

That's a real shame. 

When I test drove my Octavia I couldn't believe how comfortable the seats were - pretty much instant comfort. By far the comfiest seats in any car I've driven. 

Doubt it would make a difference but are they cloth or leather? 

It took me a month or so to get adjusted to the shape of the new seat in my VRS compared to the decidedly soft and baggy seats in my Mazda.

Once I did though, I too find them incredibly comfy - more so on long journeys than any other seat I have had.

I do have the lumbar on full, which was a must for me.

Generally I've found the VRS seats comfortable. However, whilst doing some regular long business trips back and forth to the Bristol area I did end up sustaining an upper back/shoulder problem. It took a few visits to a chiropractor to sort and I wondered if it was the prolonged spell using the car which caused it? 

has to be something wrong with the seat surely?  I did 100k miles in both of my mk2 vRS's and i'm now 40k miles in to mk3 ownership (vrs 230) and i find the seats very comfortable, and not much different to the mk2 tbh.  Can you get a ride in someone elses car to see if its just the seat in yours that maybe has a problem?

other than that, rather than ditch the car id be included to put some recaros in there - keep your oem seats to re-fit when you sell the car.

Alex @ AKS has fitted some vag origin sportster cs to his mk3 - look great and i've always found recaros to be awesome.  not cheap but if you buy them used you'll almost certainly get your money back when you're done with them.

20160620_202956_zpspbmglraz.jpg

20160617_203559_zpsiwahv2gu.jpg

• Like 1

I was having real problems after about an hours driving when I first got my vrs.

I bought one of these, and it has made all the difference. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XXZ6CHE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I can do long distance runs without a problem.

For me the issue seemed to be down to 2 things. The leg bolster would press in on the underside of my thigh, and the back of the seat seemed a bit to narrow for my bum.

The cushion just lifts me up enough to get rid of both these problems, and given it was a £20 fix, well worth it.

Electrically adjustable full leather seats are really comfortable, you can adjust really everything. Can't imagine a living human being can complain.

I may complain on how they hold when you drive like you should such a car, but for a long sitting... I wanna take them home and to work, and everywhere.

I have a back problem,

Own a Mk3 FL Octavia VRS. I've driven quite a few occasions where I've been driving for 2-3 hours at a time. Not noticed any problems yet. I was surprised with how comfortable it is. Sorry to hear you are struggling.

I've done a 4hr journey without stopping and had no issues with back comfort. They aren't the comfiest seats I've sat in, but they don't have any cause for complaint either. 

I've been driving 2012  MK11 TDI VRS for three years  and been unhappy with the saggy back seats, so today I stripped off the seat cover and inserted a 11" square piece of 1" thick foam into the seat back which seems to have provided more mid back support.  Tomorrow I will be driving 200+ miles so will report back with more data. 

I must say, considering the complexity of a seat the actual seat back structure is pathetically feeble and nonsupporting and lumbar support too low, like most cars I've owned. Will write more later.

Edited by boneman
more data

Now I've seen the insides of the seats and the reason for my displeasure of the saggy backs I will put this on the list of negatives aspects of the VRS, along with pathetic halogen dip lights (now Xenons so ok), over servoed brakes, rubbish suspension, lead weight wheels, needless to say I won't be rushing to buy another any time soon.

I can see too why the drivers RH seat bolster collapses, its because every time you enter or exit the bolster is crushed onto the plastic surrounding the seat,  seems like a design fault. This may also be the reason why the bolster causes pain in the right posterior thigh. I cured my pain by sitting on folded up towel which raised me up about an inch and hence relieved pressure on the leg.

The good thing is you can get loads of stuff into back esp with seats down which is a lot better than many German cars.

So if I change the seats, the wheels, the suspension, ah done the lights, get rid of electric power steering..... now I'm just dreaming......

In the first pic I pushed down the plastic grid which simulates turning lumbar knob clockwise and second pic its straight.

Further to my ramblings re lumbar support, its recommended when sitting to get your bottom back into your seat/chair which increases lordosis of the lumbar spine. Now when you're in the car and adjust the lumbar to get more support it's actually too low down the spine and tries to push the pelvis forward, or anteriorly in chiropractic speak, I think you're better off winding the lumbar support fully anticlock and this may allow bum to tuck back into the seat a little more. In my humble opinion the vrs seats can't achieve what the human body requires, we would be better off with a solid back approximating to the curves of our spines.

IMG_7724.JPG

IMG_7725.JPG

IMG_7735.JPG

Strange you should mention this. I had a MK 2 VRS a few moons ago, and comfort was fantastic. However, I bought a VRS 230 last year, and no matter what I did, I could not get comfortable. It got to the stage when I decided enough was enough, and today I p/ex'd it for a Mercedes C220d AMG premium plus... The whole package is just so much better than the Skoda ( This was my 4th Skoda, so no badge snob)

DSC00046.JPG

vladRS - It may be worth having a treatment with chiropractor, if so choose one who practices Diversified technique. Also look into mobility stretches for your spine and pelvis as maintenance.

I have noticed the poor seat back design allows me to slump in the seat but my shoulders are supported which aggravates the posture.

You could also try some foam to see if this helps and go from there.

Incidentally I tested a Hyundai Ioniq hybrid a couple of weeks ago,  very impressed with comfort and road noise etc, made my 2012 vrs feel like a museum piece.

21 hours ago, nidza said:

Electrically adjustable full leather seats are really comfortable, you can adjust really everything. Can't imagine a living human being can complain.

I may complain on how they hold when you drive like you should such a car, but for a long sitting... I wanna take them home and to work, and everywhere.

Glad to hear that, they are standard on my next Octavia

On 08/07/2017 at 01:15, boneman said:

Incidentally I tested a Hyundai Ioniq hybrid a couple of weeks ago,  very impressed with comfort and road noise etc, made my 2012 vrs feel like a museum piece.

Sorry OP, off topic....

I'm not surprised the 2012 car felt old hat - it was designed in the early 2000s & debuted in 2004. The FL version made a few positive changes admittedly. 

The MkIII Octy moves the game on considerably in terms of infotainment, overall quality & is a lighter car than the MkII. 

I don't doubt the Ioniq felt very modern though. 

5 hours ago, dunc69 said:

Sorry OP, off topic....

I'm not surprised the 2012 car felt old hat - it was designed in the early 2000s & debuted in 2004. The FL version made a few positive changes admittedly. 

The MkIII Octy moves the game on considerably in terms of infotainment, overall quality & is a lighter car than the MkII. 

I don't doubt the Ioniq felt very modern though. 

WTF

• Like 1

225 miles and 5 hrs of driving M25 and M27 yesterday!! The 1" foam has provided a firmer support but i needed to raise seat height which, as I'm sure you all know, tilts seat forward and hence reduces the pressure under thighs, also needed to apply a little lumbar adjustment which complemented the overall feel,  so I think it's an improvement. Do the seats in the mkIII have separate tilt and height adjustment?

Hope this may be some help although it was a sledgehammer to crack a nut.