Rear suspension update.

I've asked about different suspension related stuff here before but after trying some different things am back to square one. 

2012 1.8L Combi Elegance. It's driven 97,000km and is in otherwise very nice shape. But I think the rear suspension is way too spungy and now w my 19s I get some rubbing going over large speed bumps etc. 

Id love to replace the rear springs and dampers w some HD units as I tow often or have the car filled w people often. But there is simply no where to be found a set of springs w a stiffer spring rate than stock that are specifically for towing. 

I got got wrapped up in the Greyson rubber inserts that stop the rear suspension from compressing so much. I fought and banged and even used a crowbar to try and slip those ******s in the springs and there was simply not room for them without removing the spring from the car. (I didn't however unmount the damper which might have helped free up the suspension a bit more). If that's the key to installing the rings, please let me know. 

What is entailed in removing the rear springs one by one and forcing those spacers in place? 

Secondly, I have been reading about springs failing and having severe sag around 100k. The car sits a little lower in the rear than the front when it's unloaded. But w just one adult jumping in, the springs compress down to about half the unloaded distance between tire and fender. After 3 people in the car, I can barely get a finger in the gap between the tire and fender. Is this usual? Or are my rear springs on the way out? 

Finally, I've found some stock replacement springs in England from different companies. Monroe, HR, etc etc. is there any brand that is better than the rest? I'm throwing around the idea of replacing the springs and dampers (and installing the Greyson inserts) in order to make the car more firm and stable in the rear. I think it's insane to have a nice large luxury car what squats like a cheap Chinese knockoff made out of pot metal. 

Really appreciate the info and help. Love this car, but this problem is killing me. 

Joe E. 

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

Another idea is a lowering Spring like the HR kit. Are they more stiff than standard springs? Is the spring rate different enough that even after lowering, the spring would compress less than these stock squish units I'm riding on now? It's interesting to see Picts online of superBs w lowering springs and running 19s or 20s. 

I've installed these Auxiliary Springs on my Superb for towing (see you have a tow bar too). The sit inside the standard springs and have minimal affect on solo driving, but stop the rear end sagging when I hook the caravan up. Quite simple to fit too.

http://www.springassisters.co.uk/Auxillarypage.htm

There are other manufacturers of these, but these were more reasonably priced and can't fault them so far (2yrs).

This is the geometry information from Skoda's service manual:
front_suspension_settings.png.801d6eed915bee33422c1c3ed0024f35.pngrear_suspension_settings.png.5570f51965fbf40b4ea023aae7b38d8e.png

The stationary height is the ride height and is measured from the centre of the wheel to the top of the wheelarch. You will need to know what the PR code for your suspension is, but this should be printed on the build label inside the spare wheel well, and/or the service book.

The following note is mentioned regarding loading: "Technical data apply for the unladen weight of the vehicle ready for driving (full fuel tank and water reservoir for the windscreen wiper washer system, spare wheel and jack (if the vehicle was fitted at the factory with them), tool kit and without driver). The spare wheel, tool kit and jack must be located in the position prescribed by the vehicle manufacturer."

As far as I can tell, the manual does not give any guidance on when replacement is required. The specifications above allow tolerance of +/- 10 mm - one could conclude from that that any sag beyond 10 mm would be an indication that replacement of dampers and/or springs is required.

• Like 2

I remember years ago fixing a sagging bottom on my dads Volvo estate by fitting shock absorbers that were adjustable by air pressure (Tyre valve and pressure gauge) - worked really well

Is such a thing available now?

My Superb can suffer a sagging bottom when full of large people and luggage

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Really appreciate the replies and comments. I'll get out to measure my B as soon as I have a spare moment. (In the middle of moving the family to a new house/ hence the issues w the trailer and weight). 

I cant find anything on a replacement spring that has a higher weight limit. Which is quite annoying. It's like the market has just forgotten these particular Skodas when it comes to suspensions. 

The aftermarket drop springs are interesting for me as I know they mist have a higher spring rate to handle the heavy superB while loosing 30-40mm of ride height. Can I correctly assume that if I installed these springs, they would sag less than the back end does now? 

Im also to the point of paying nearly anything to get a custom spring made for stock ride height but higher compacity. 

On 24/07/2017 at 23:12, bigjohn said:

I remember years ago fixing a sagging bottom on my dads Volvo estate by fitting shock absorbers that were adjustable by air pressure (Tyre valve and pressure gauge) - worked really well

Is such a thing available now?

My Superb can suffer a sagging bottom when full of large people and luggage

Yeah fitted them to my 850 estate for towing caravan when I had it

Monroe ride levellers  is what they are, you either blow them up with pump or  tyre compresser. Was a option to fit a supplied compresser but very expensive.

had a look and they still do them but finding it hard as to which cars it's available for

3 hours ago, Snapper1725 said:

Yeah fitted them to my 850 estate for towing caravan when I had it

Monroe ride levellers  is what they are, you either blow them up with pump or  tyre compresser. Was a option to fit a supplied compresser but very expensive.

had a look and they still do them but finding it hard as to which cars it's available for

Where can you buy them from?

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

Where can you buy them from?

They are still showen on Monroes website, it had a section to put your details or reg number of car in but wouldn't work for me

some new on eBay for Volvo, Opel but not many.

when I bought mine they had to be ordered in as I can remember and I think I only found one place at the time that sold them searching internet ( no idea who it was ) 

they did make a lot of difference when towing the caravan. That said I now tow with my Superb and haven't had any issues

sorry I can't be of anyone more help 

Also Sachs Nivomats, they operate after a while of travelling to fetch the cars ride height back up, 

Edited by Snapper1725

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I refurbished my wheels the other day and noticed my rear shocks rubber has perished. My car does ride lower at the rear but seems to handle fine. Any ideas? Should I replace the shocks? It has not long passed its MOT and they didn’t mention it...

828B4ECF-3EEB-4D24-AFF4-A11C42BC01EF.jpeg

76D0935D-17AF-426D-966A-9E695CEE7E8E.jpeg

4 hours ago, Dom1982c said:

Cheers Tech1e, can I fit new bump stops without having to remove the shocks do you know?

If you can get the damper rod down far enough once the top nut has been undone you may be able to slide it off, never tried as replaced my Fabia shocks so had to remove them anyway and fitted new ones prior to refitting. Mine were gas filled and you will struggle so easy enough to just remove the shock. You won’t notice any difference with a new one though, it’s for damping the pothole impact, not functional otherwise.

It won’t do anything to your ride height.

It won’t change how bouncy the back is.

I would leave it until changing the shocks.

Edited by 3T1704X4

9 hours ago, 3T51704x4 said:

If you can get the damper rod down far enough once the top nut has been undone you may be able to slide it off, never tried as replaced my Fabia shocks so had to remove them anyway and fitted new ones prior to refitting. Mine were gas filled and you will struggle so easy enough to just remove the shock. You won’t notice any difference with a new one though, it’s for damping the pothole impact, not functional otherwise.

It won’t do anything to your ride height.

It won’t change how bouncy the back is.

I would leave it until changing the shocks.

Thanks for all the advice, you are a Skoda expert! 👍

On 16/06/2019 at 07:03, Dom1982c said:

Cheers Tech1e, can I fit new bump stops without having to remove the shocks do you know?

One thing to bear in mind is that all the bolts on the suspension setup are single use so you will need to have replacements on hand when you are doing the job.

6 hours ago, chimaera said:

One thing to bear in mind is that all the bolts on the suspension setup are single use so you will need to have replacements on hand when you are doing the job.

Thanks for that, sounds like those bump stops aren’t that important so might just wait till the shocks need replacing and do it properly