Paintwork protection for new car

How many of you Superb drivers out there got some additional paintwork protection (detailing?) applied to your cars if purchased new?

I had never really thought about it until the other day - didn't get anything done to my current Superb estate.

I am surprised how the paint has marked over the 6 years, even round the doorhandles just from my short fingernails.

Is the ceramic stuff I've seen advertised worth the money? I got a couple of quotes, one was eye-wateringly expensive.

I'm not one to wash and polish a car every week.

I'm interested to hear what people have done/think about this

ceramic will only improve protection against bird dump and make washing process same what easier / quicker (at least while the layer protection is fairly new), but will not prevent stone chips and similar. And yes, its expensive plus if you wash your car regularly (and if you drive autobahn a lot than you have to because of bugs) it will not last that much. 

59 minutes ago, DH- Leeds said:

I'm interested to hear what people have done/think about this

You should ask this question over in the "Styling and Car Care" section. You'll get loads of advice.

I agree that the cost of ceramic coating is prohibitive. Instead, I spend 3.5 hours twice a year to give my car a good clean and wax.

I had mine done with Gtechniq Crystal Serum just after a got the car, no it is not cheap but 18 months on I am still impressed with it (not applied anything else since)

Thanks for the replies.

I've never bothered with this before, but have never bought such an expensive vehicle before either.

I'll have a look in the other section too - which I had no idea existed!

We have had it twice, once before I knew better and the second time it was part of a package they reduced so effectively only £50.

Neither time have I noticed any difference and the last time we had two new cars at almost the same time, her Mokka (with) was no better than the leased Octavia (without) that arrived two months earlier than the Mokka.

48 minutes ago, IJWS15 said:

We have had it twice, once before I knew better and the second time it was part of a package they reduced so effectively only £50.

Neither time have I noticed any difference and the last time we had two new cars at almost the same time, her Mokka (with) was no better than the leased Octavia (without) that arrived two months earlier than the Mokka.

Anything applied by the dealer will have a massive markup and usually the products are not that great. 

You are better off getting a pro detailer to apply it. 

• Like 1

GTechniq c2v3.  Spray onto a washed and dry car.  Wipe over with a microfibre cloth and finish off with another.  Takes max two hours.  Repeat every six to eight months.  Looks good and from what I have seen so far this is all the protection you will need.  Not desperately expensive either.  Source from clean my car.com. 

The Superb will get the same treatment as every car I have owned since the early 80's which is a regular wash and leather (now use a microfibre cloth) and a twice a year polish. I have used Meguiars Gold Class since 2005 and it is without doubt the best I have used. Easy to apply, easy to buff off, no powdery residue, no marks on black trim and its last 6 months. Took less than /2 an hour to do the Leon, the Superb will obviously take a bit longer.

Ceramic protection doesnt need to be expensive - but some companies are quoting silly prices.

The actual real effort and work is in the preparation phase - to give the ceramic the best bond to the paint.

Shop around for quotes and speak with the detailers.... i'm sure you will find a good option.

Mostly for testing purposes, but I was curious to see the effects of this new thing  (at least to me) called ceramic coating, more specifically, Gyeon Q2 MOHS+ (http://gyeonquartz.com/product/mohsplus/)

I found a local Gyeon authorised dealer detailing place. Total cost was 600€, which included washing, light polishing (new car), 3 layers of this product, and drying over night. They also provided 5 years warranty, so if defects show up or something happens to the paint under insurance, it will be covered. And they claim the coating will stay permanently unlike traditional waxing that you have to apply every X months. Gyeon also has wide variety of products the help you maintain it, which pretty much comes to a spray bottle that you use after every 2 months and simply just spray it on and wipe with fiber cloth.

So far I've been quite happy with it, it really gives the car deeper color, glossy & shiny look, more scratch resistance and also repels water (which can be quite mesmerizing). The best part is when it rains the car looks like it has come straight from car show. It also keeps the dust/dirt more easily away, of course unless it's really wet and muddy day.

But again, I can't fully recommend it yet, as I've only had it for a month now, but so far I've been quite happy with it. Hoping to have similar results after few years.

I just uploaded video demonstrating this  water repelling/hydrophobic effect.

Edited by Martastico

I use Autofinesse Tough Coat. Takes about 90 minutes to apply every 6 months, gives a good gloss finish and water beeding.  A £20 bottle in enough for  5/6 applications.  Easy to apply and polish off.

Hi all 

I am finding it difficult to find good detailers here in Switzerland. 

(Are there any Swiss readers who can tell me what they have found ?! )

The best I have found is the Swissvax headquarters/flagship location close to Zurich and close to where I work. 

https://www.swissvax.ch/flagship-car-care-center/? 

https://www.swissvax.ch/flagship-car-care-center/impressionen.php

(Webpages in German only) 

Swissvax products seem to have good performance if conventional and expensive. But they don't do ceramic coatings, "only" wax. 

I am planning to have the following done by them:  

- "Posh" wash and windscreen sealing

- Paint protection for new car

- Leather protection for new car

Cost point CHF 615.00, GBP 482.00, EUR 538.00

My current idea is to have this done once a year for the next three years or perhaps revise this if I find a reliable Gtechniq or other suitable product partner. 

I also have a new tin of Soft99 Fusso Coat Dark which I might try after the detailing to increase water repellency and ease washing. 

I'm not a bad amateur detailer myself and always learning, so can do 'maintenance wash & clean' to a good standard between professional details. 

What do you guys think of this plan? 

That seems to be a good price if done by Swissvax themselves, you can pay well over £100 in the UK for a tin of Swissvax Polish!

• Like 1

Sounds a sensible plan to me. The chap who does my car uses Fusso when necessary and it certainly helps water (and general muck) repellency and keeps it looking good between washes. He's a huge fan of the product and I can see why.

I guess my routine goes  something like 

• Wash using 3 bucket methods (cleaning, rinsing, wheels) 
  • Dry using proper drying towels (Wooly Mammoth) 
  • Buff with edgeless microfibre cloths and detailing spray. 
  • Wheels are cleaned using a long reach brush for the inners and detailing brushes for the spokes
  • Dried using microfibre cloths 

I'll use glass Polish every other wash and do this at the start as it creates a lot of dust. 

I'll apply wax every 6-8 weeks just to keep a decent layer on to help with water beading and protection against bird poop, bugs and surface contaminates. You can kinda tell when it needs doing when water doesn't bead on the bonnet and comes off when driving. 

I'll completely strip, clay, 2 stage polish, seal and wax every 6 months. 

If the swirls and marks are only slight then a 1 stage polish is all it may need. 

Always using new pads 

Cleanyourcar.co.uk are a few miles from me so I drive down and order from the warehouse itself. (Huddersfield for those interested) 

My partner had paint protection film put on her Focus and it was rubbish.....it was diamondbrite or something like that. 

Can't comment on the more expensive options as my experience of the above wouldn't make me rush out to get it

Plus I enjoy detailing my car like the sad person I am Hehehehehe 

Edited by Zenbasses

@Zenbasses Your regime sounds good to me.

You are lucky having a good detailing shop nearby - my nearest seems to be a 35-40 min drive away. 

I think I'm a sad old guy too - I get my kicks watching car cleaning videos on YouTube! :blush:

All the best, Rob

@SwissRob

YouTube gave me the confidence to dip my toe into the world of detailing..

My car being the single biggest purchase after my mortgage so I wanna look after it the best I can..

Tbh once you've amassed the products and tools it's also cost affective..

I suppose I could pay for a £5 handwash....but considering they so more harm than good I would rather diy as I can only blame myself then. Hehe  

27 minutes ago, hpoom said:

Where does one start with getting into the world or detailing? 

Detailing world is as a good a place as any. 

Just be prepared... it can be addictive and expensive! 

10 hours ago, freelunch said:

@hpoom C'mon! You had your car ceramic coated! Where is the wink emoji? ;)

Yes had it coated. Have also learnt a lot about cleaning cars from YouTube and blogs online. I am addicted to cleaning it, but I want to learn more about detailing. I would like to polish the wife's car which is not paint protected.

Even tempted to buy a machine polisher and strategic to learn. Is it with picking up and old panel from a car scrap yard to practice on?

31 minutes ago, hpoom said:

One option is training with KDS but it is quite expensive.

Hi hpoom - Gizmo is right! it's quite addictive. I watch a lot of detailing videos on YouTube (sad, isn't it?!)

Some of my favourite channels are 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_4lRohBzY20wjsFGWS0Jzg Forensic Detailing Channel - UK-based - professional detailer - has a very systematic approach

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCes1EvRjcKU4sY_UEavndBw Chris Fix - US-based - mostly about DIY maintenance but also detailing

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYsa8SOy3TkoxI5D17s1u-w AMMO NYC - US-based - excellently filmed channel very good tips & insights - Professional detailer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT8-J2yhQX_welyA0U8nHTw Swissvax HQ - Swiss-based manufacturer with expensive but good products - also professional detail service

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa25HDrcr4O_c1GZtUp88LA Detail King - US-based detailer - good tips - Professional detailer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_oGAplgUK5fiMLzMruPXGQ Auto fetish detail - US professional mobile detailer - good tips on detailing and business

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFjVBSAfPGjTNsEhjaBG01A Car Cleaning Guru - UK-based - Professional detailer - good tips and hints - I love his accent! 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE0kcuDlwjfP2982jVH6WkQ Pan the Organizer - Bilingual Québecois - good tips & hints - I love his French! 

Here the Meguiars distributor does courses, as does Swissvax. They're not cheap, but I'm sure you get solid advice and instruction. I'm toying with the idea myself. 

For my eldest and middle daughters I have put together a "minimal detailing kit" for each and spent half a day with them showing how to go from a dirty car to one that looks better than most (especially at its age). We wash the outside, wheels, wheel arches, clean detail the engine compartment (has to be done in Switzerland for every MOT inspection), boot and door spaces then vacuum and detail inside, clean the windows and mirrors. 

The minimum kit includes

Lots and lots of microfibre towels

Two wash mitts (bodywork and wheels) 

A roll of paper towels

Wheel brushes

Detailing brushes (cheap paintbrushes with duct tape round the metal parts) 

Nitrile gloves

A plastic bag to put the used tools until they can be washed out and dried

Turtle Wet 'n black tyre black

Nigrin Evo wheel cleaner (I haven't yet found better)

Nigrin cockpit spray for use with detailing brushes and microfibre towels

Car wax 

Glass cleaner

Silicone for rubber parts

I'm sure I have forgotten a few items! :blink:

If any scratch removal is necessary I do this part myself or show them but don't give the polish container. (My father once polished a car down to the undercoat in places, thinking he was doing a great job)! 

Unfortunately, until my house is built, I am living in a rented apartment so I have to make do with high-pressure wash boxes and cannot control every aspect as well as I would like. 

I emphasise that the best wash is a no-contact wash so encourage as much pre-wash activity as possible, keeping contact to a minimum. Even baked-on insects come off with a water jet after a good soak. 

As a motorcycle rider since 1978, I was able to start detailing on smaller (but more intricate) vehicles and extend some of those practices to cars.

Luckily my cars don't have wire spokes that need regular polishing! :)  

I hope this has been useful for you. 

All the best, Rob