Superb vs Jaguar XE

My PCP contract on the Superb finishes early next year and it will cost me £12k to keep it. I'm due to retire soon after so contemplating paying an extra £18-19k for a new Superb or paying an extra £3-4K on top of that and going for a Jaguar XE Prestige specced up to a similar equipment level as my current L&K. After 40yrs driving a manual I'm thinking of going for an automatic this time, getting lazy in my old age.

Anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of going for the Jaguar with auto gearbox (apart from the price diff)?

If you want a 2+2, go for the Jag.  Incredibly cramped in the back for what is supposed to be a 4 seater saloon.  

As already said the Jag is rather tight and if I'm not wrong it seemed to be a little narrow too. A shame really as it's a nice car but Jag cocked up on this one I think stay with a Supurb you'd just regret it after a month owning a Jag

Sounds like I'd better stop the online browsing for a new car and visit the showroom instead to try one on for size. To be honest the Superb is way too big for me and my wife, very rarely have any back seat passengers, but if the Jag really is that much smaller then maybe I'll have to reconsider. Shame as the cabin looks really nice in the pictures.

My wife likes the new Golf but that doesn't look good value for the money to me...

A couple of guys at work went for the Jag XE (company cars) and whilst their initial impression was very good, they soon started reporting little niggles... to be fair I don't think these niggles are anything too serious but both have said they won't have another. It's a shame because I think it's a good looking car both inside and out.

I don't think there are any issues with space in the front so if it's just you and your wife you'll probably be fine in that respect.

Reading your initial post I think my biggest concern would be the fact that you would want to spec the car up, I get the impression it's the options and accessories (and to some extent the electrics in general) that have given our guys their issues.

To be fair, if you're unlucky any car can have problems, it doesn't matter what it is or how much it costs....

My advice would be take your time, do your research and make sure you do some extended road tests (preferably over a couple of days if you can swing it) in more than just one car. 

I was in one today, they are small compared to a Superb  but for two people might be a nice car. Go drive one and see. I also has a look at a poverty XF, strange it didn't even have nav, something it had it common with a CLS I saw today too.

I had a Jag XE for a couple days this week as a courtesy car while my XF was in for service and a diff pinion oil seal. The XE is nowhere near comparable to a Superb. When I bought my XF, it was a close run thing between that and a Superb. The XF only won out because of the excellent deals being offered at the time and the fact that the Superb was a brand new model with all the niggles that can bring. 

I would suggest you have a look at the XF as a possible replacement for the Superb-the XE is definitely a class below

Some big discounts are available on th XF if you find a good dealer

Edited by bigmick9445

if I can stick my tupence worth in I would choose the Superb, I get to drive an XE at work and don't like it, its also cramped as others have said. If it was the XF it would be a totally different ball game IMHO. You go with what your heart tells you and your wallet allows ;) 

Taken delivery of my new Superb company car today after a 6 month wait in various hire cars from 3 Series BMWs to Octavias. One of my colleagues also enjoying the same wait ended up with a Jag XE from Thrifty rent-a-car - It went back within 24 hours. Hugely cramped in the back. More of a 2+2 than a 5 seater. Useless boot and critically no 12 volt socket in the boot so he couldn't plug in his printer. 

Bang for your buck, spec for spec, running costs against running costs the Superb wins hands down against the XE... There isn't really an awkward angle on either the S3 hatch or estate where the XE has a questionable rear end and it's cramped and in terms of fit and finish I dare say the Skoda eclipses the Jag in all areas... 

But it all depends on your priorities and what 'feels' right for you.... In my quest for a new car it was either a Superb or a V70.....as I'm in it for the long run I went for tried and tested.....

The XE is a new venture and shares a lot of components with land rover which don't exactly have the greatest track record in the reliability stakes..... 

Skoda has its moment but not the level as JLR

The XE will be a better drive though... Hands down but that's what I meant by where your priorities lie :)

Nether will be any better in terms of depreciation you maybe juggling with £1k here and there but it is negligible in the long run..... 

All I'll say is you'll be kicking yourself on your first trip with Ikea... Hehehehe 

Good luck. Your choice is the right choice 

Yep I agree with the comments. The Jag drives well, is a good design, feels nice to be in a British car....OK maybe with an Indian owner....lol

But yes it is really cramped, back is almost unusable. The XF isn't a lot more, but has more room.

Finally got around to visiting the local Jag dealership. XE is a none starter for me as most of you suggested.XF is better, lovely to sit in and Firenze Red with Cream leather is stunning. My heart says go for the Jag but my head (& wallet) is screaming Superb 220ps TSi DSG. If only Skoda would offer a decent range of colours instead of the limited set of boring ones currently on offer...

I've never driven an automatic in my 40+ yrs of driving but feel that DSG + Adaptive Cruise would make life so much easier. Do any of you guys have any tips/advice on the pros & cons of DSG?

Would it be wise to hire an automatic for a week to try it out?

At first, you'll keep reaching down for the stick when you don't have to. That's the only con I can come up with. I also came from many years of manuals. The DSG gives you the option to work it like a manual if you choose to do so. You probably will, too, for a while – just to see how it works. Then, you'll just sit back and let the car do the work – especially with the ACC.

Also, you'll be trying to find something to do with your left foot. I was afraid I might have to velcro mine to the centre console. It will all fee natural after a couple of drives. No need to hire an automatic. You might download the user manual to read about the selector positions, but it's all really dead simple. 

I have the DSG and it is brilliant, it frees the mind to concentrate on the road, and you are never in the wrong gear. There seems to be a feeling that a good driver uses a manual, but to me a good driver is even better with an automatic as it allows you to read the road ahead without the mechanics of changing gear. Secondly the ACC is also brilliant, it not only keeps you to the speed you select but it automatically slows if someone moves into the space in front of you, or the traffic slows, and keeps a safe distance and then reverts back to the speed you selected when the space is clear. Also if you get caught in a traffic jam as I was on the M25 the ACC will automatically stop when the car in front stops and crawls ahead as he pulls away, even if those movements are slow and cumbersome. It will keep you at a safe distance as the traffic stops and starts, absolutely brilliant and extremely safe.

@Rifleman

Go for the DSG. If you want to then you can still drive it like manual using the gear lever (just up and down flicks) or if you spec the paddles you can change gear without taking your hands off the wheel. The gear changes are much smoother than you will achieve with a manual box. Modern boxes are also much better than of old. However, I guess all the autobox drivers would bet a penny to a pound that after a while you will only ever use them when you fancy a bit of fun.  It really is a case of throttle to go, brake to stop. And with DSG and ACC the car really can drive itself in traffic. Hands on the wheel and the car does the rest. Takes an act of faith to try it first time but once tried you will find yourself using it more and more. 

Modern DSG boxes don't suffer from either that awful floppy, wallowy experience of old slush auto gearboxes or a huge penalty on mpg.

For me it was a no brainer but it is always good to test drive to make sure for yourself.

Edited by Sagalout

Definitely consider hiring one for a day. Do Skoda do the 72hr test drive on the Superb?

Beyond that ask a dealer for an extended test drive, explain you're not sure about auto.

Or Enterprise car rental. £50 for a day would prevent an expensive mistake.