Sportline rear fake exhaust trim no more

I have a personal dislike for Chrome on the outside of cars, especially when they're mine and everything else on them is BLACK.

Not sure what Skoda was thinking with the strips of chrome in the rear bumber in place of exhausts but I hate them. I had some Platidip left and half an hour so this is what happened.

20170813_154707.jpg

20170813_154714.jpg

20170813_154732.jpg

20170813_154754.jpg

20170813_154809.jpg

• Like 3

I was thinking of doing them a metallic red plastidip along with the wing mirrors but not sure it was going to look right. Kinda liking just the black and white thing at the moment but give it a month or two and can always redo them red.

i'm actually trying to find out if i can source just the chrome bits alone (instead of a whole bottom bumper part with chrome) so i can retrofit it on mine.
the chrome sportline (non 4x4 version) rear exhaust bits would suit the rest of the chrome bits on my car.

superskoda used to sell this whole sportline bumper bit at one stage, now its no longer on their website.
too expensive to ship it all the way to Oz too.

sportline exhaust.jpg

Edited by JR RS

Looks very nice.  The only gripe I have with the Sportline exterior is the exhuast 'trim'; it looks absolute shiiiiiiiiiite.  They should have fitted a proper exhaust or just nothing at all.  I wouldn't have minded the right hand one just being a hole, like the diesel Octy vRS.   

If I spent a few K on some fake norks for Mrs Penguin and she came out of surgery with just the outline of Jamie Lee Curtis' chest in Trading Places, I'd be pretty well miffed off

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, JR RS said:

i'm actually trying to find out if i can source just the chrome bits alone (instead of a whole bottom bumper part with chrome) so i can retrofit it on mine.
the chrome sportline (non 4x4 version) rear exhaust bits would suit the rest of the chrome bits on my car.

superskoda used to sell this whole sportline bumper bit at one stage, now its no longer on their website.
too expensive to ship it all the way to Oz too.

sportline exhaust.jpg

its not just the chrome you buy but a complete black plastic and chrome part.

You need to change over the black plastic as its different where the chrome is.

I changed it over on mine as I thought the back end needed something rather than dull black

that chrome trim on the sportline

is it just another design cue stolen from   inspired by a Mercedes ?

(the loop is the other way round, bottom-to-top instead of top-to-bottom)

Car-file-Mercedes-C-class-2.jpg

Car-file-Mercedes-C-class-5.jpg

35 minutes ago, Wet Kipper said:

that chrome trim on the sportline

is it just another design cue stolen from   inspired by a Mercedes ?

(the loop is the other way round, bottom-to-top instead of top-to-bottom)

Quite possibly, but on the Mercedes it ties in with the other chrome on the exterior, the only other chrome on my sportline was the badges which have now either been removed or are now Matte black.

Just a little consistency. I've seen some white Mercedes where these are red , not sure if aftermarket of a model specific colour, considering red on mine.

• 1 year later...

@AndyTvRS: I'm currently waiting on my Kodiaq Sportline in steel gray (aka meteor gray). They Will install also black emblems and only chrome part would be that chrome stripe arround exhaust. And it bothers me ;) Can you please tell me how you painted it? What paint? Did you removed chrome parts from bumper in order to paint? Because your work looks like from factory! Excellent and just what I wish for my Bear!!! Please for some more info how you did it.

Actually I think it looks better than without chrome. Wouldnt bother me as a possible representation of fake exhausts. Superb is not suppose to be a supercar anyway or have high amount of horsepower.

On 13/08/2017 at 17:16, AndyTvRS said:

I have a personal dislike for Chrome on the outside of cars, especially when they're mine and everything else on them is BLACK.

Not sure what Skoda was thinking with the strips of chrome in the rear bumber in place of exhausts but I hate them. I had some Platidip left and half an hour so this is what happened.

20170813_154707.jpg

20170813_154714.jpg

20170813_154732.jpg

20170813_154754.jpg

20170813_154809.jpg

Life is unfair... You have a sportline version with a chrome lid diffusor  and would rather have a full black one  as on L&K (I guess).

I have a L&K, with full black rear bumper diffusor and wish I could have a sportline one to get this chrome lid...

Shall we switch our diffusors?:D

The sportline rear bumper diffusor is sold for ~250 € (without shipping costs) on superskoda.com . Ouch! It hurts! 

Edited by Bap33

1 hour ago, Bap33 said:

Life is unfair... You have a sportline version with a chrome lid diffusor  and would rather have a full black one  as on L&K (I guess).

I have a L&K, with full black rear bumper diffusor and wish I could have a sportline one to get this chrome lid...

Shall we switch our diffusors?:D

The sportline rear bumper diffusor is sold for ~250 € (without shipping costs) on superskoda.com . Ouch! It hurts! 

tell me about - Skoda makes no sense with their design sometimes!!

Sportline (non 4x4) get various bits n bobs blackened, except for the rear diffusor - its chrome.

non-Sportline (non 4x4) get various bits n bobs in chrome, except for the rear diffusor!!!
fark me Skoda!!

i ended up bitting the bullet and got the sportline rear diffusor from superskoda.  now it matches the rest of the chrome bits on my car :)

tis a much better look.

5a5fe148e1d58_sportlinediffusor03.thumb.jpg.d07c14b13138cdc45d442619516aefa5.jpg201802_02.thumb.jpg.bda075ad8959726cd8963ae5daf2f9a6.jpg

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, penguin17 said:

This thread needs some real exhausts. :biggrin:

at least the 220 still has real exhausts on both sides, behind the diffusor :P

unlike some other Skoda models, VAG vehicles and other manufacturers.

• Like 1

I fitted proper stainless steel exhaust tips to my 220 last Summer and they've been fine.  No noise, vibration or heat issues whatsoever. I didn't need to change the diffuser, just carefully cut the plastic, but I did have to lower the two silencers about one inch to clear. Cost was around £50.

side.jpg

rear.jpg

• Like 1

@Rizmod

That looks better than I thought it would :thumbup:

However could you not have cut the diffuser higher (to include the horizontal bit) as it looks like that would have saved you dropping the exhaust an inch and wouldn’t have been visible from behind.

FWIW on my superskoda supplied SportLine rear diffuser the two end chrome bits have bubbled the chrome so I need to do something about it.

On 22/02/2019 at 22:43, JR RS said:

at least the 220 still has real exhausts on both sides, behind the diffusor :P

unlike some other Skoda models, VAG vehicles and other manufacturers.

They are real exhaust tips! I know because I got them too. :D

edit: oh wait... I thought you said 280. Well 280s have got the real sheet. 

Edited by KeteCantek