Diy DSG oil change

superbdreams

• 2 months later...

The snorkel is a tube of black plastic that is inserted into the drain hole before the sump plug is screwed on.

The snorkel screws in (not tight!) and seals at the bottom but is hollow with an opening at the top which allows the surplus oil to drain back out achieving the correct fill level.

without the snorkel the gearbox would just empty as soon as you removed the sump plug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2017-11-09 at 15:26, xman said:

No mention or pic of where this "snorkel" is.

Skoda fixed price maintenance shows this work costs £179 (max) at a participating dealer so hardly worth the effort imo, but many thanks for the great post.

Consider yourself lucky..

In sweden DSG service costs around £300-350..

Thanks for the thread TS!

Doing my oil change today so it will be very helpful.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank-you for such a comprehensive guide; very much appreciated. My only concern about doing the job is that I don’t own a OBD Diagnostic device. Is it unwise to do the job without a VCDS? Or, perhaps more importantly, what might go wrong if I don’t use VCDS? I would appreciate your opinion. 

7 minutes ago, KevinGill said:

Thank-you for such a comprehensive guide; very much appreciated. My only concern about doing the job is that I don’t own a OBD Diagnostic device. Is it unwise to do the job without a VCDS? Or, perhaps more importantly, what might go wrong if I don’t use VCDS? I would appreciate your opinion. 

Quite likely the oil level won't be correct.

31 minutes ago, KevinGill said:

Liquids (and solids) like oil expand with temperature.

the correct oil level is determined by it spilling over the snorkel, if the oil was too cold there would be too much and if it was too hot there would not be enough .

how much variance this would be in real life I cant say and I suspect not a great deal.

Bearing in mind the oil has to be changed with such frequency (40,000m)  and the cost of having it done at a dealer if you are even prepared to let them loose on your car- it is a no brainer to buy yourself a diagnostic tool, the savings take less than two changes plus you get the ability to reset and change so much.

What you are saying makes sense to me. Ill change the oil after the motor has warmed up to normal operating temperature. The temperature in Brisbane at the moment is ~20 degrees Celcius so I'm not expecting too many surprises. 50ml + or - should not be a deal-breaker; regardless, I'm going to have a crack at it. Just buying the oil and the filter on-line at the moment. Nulon seems to be offering a pretty attractive deal via Ebay: epid=28031249143&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item23b98f695f:g:q~YAAOSw3TFcwG8Xhttps://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nulon-EZY-SQUEEZE-Full-Synthetic-Multi-Vehicle-DSG-DCT-Transmission-Fluid-NDSG-1/153437038943?

• 10 months later...

Just changed the oil and filter on my Alhambra  - looks very similar to the Superb. If you use the ‘special’ tool for the filter (basically a cranked offset 24mm socket) - these are widely available on EBay and other sites - there is no need to remove the battery or air cleaner. Once you have the car raised and level, this job is little more than an engine oil and filter change. The longest part of the job for me was warming the oil to 35 degC!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did this today on my car. Thank you for an excellent guide!

I used this Meyle filter kit, which was a fair bit cheaper than the VW branded kit and seemed high quality (made in Germany etc.).

The air filter is a little larger on the (petrol) 280 and integrates into the front grille - but it's quite easy to remove with a few T25 TORX. Also, there's no need to remove the under tray, because the gearbox drain plug is uncovered anyway.

Also, I wouldn't bother with the pressurised tool (to fill from below), you can fill from the top (albeit slowly - 1 litre every few minutes) for pennies. I would only recommend filling from below if you have a hoist and need to get the job done in a rush (i.e. if you're a professional). I bought this funnel set for £5.99 from eBay and it fitted exactly into the tube within the filter housing.

I considered buying the 24mm special tool (to avoid removing the battery and airbox), but removing the airbox and battery tray gives much better access and avoids spillage. If I was doing this regularly (i.e. not every 40,000 miles) then it would be a no-brainer. I found it easiest to take out the battery tray and airbox base as one unit as they didn't want to come apart and you can get them out of the way fairly easily (although you do have to unclip 3 wires and push them out of the way).

All in all it took me about 5 hours, which for an amateur mechanic isn't too bad. 😀

DSGOilChange1.jpg

DSGOilChange2.jpg

Edited by ChrisCh
Added link to DSG oil kit
  • Like 1