Rear wiper constant squeak

Hello. Had my new car since April. The last few months my rear wiper has squeaked across the glass when being used. I cleaned the glass and wiper and it still did I it. So I have now bought a new wiper and it still does it. Is there any adjustment on the wiper that can be done or shall I wait until a service and mention it then. Could be over a year away though. It's as if the blade is sitting too close to the screen. 

Have you confirmed that it is a blade/screen contact issue and not from the wiper spindle/bush?  Can you operate with the arm pulled away from screen (or removed) and also try wetting the screen with car shampoo to see if the squeak goes.

I thought that squeaking was an indication of screen contamination (or very low wiper pressure?) and issues with blade pressure and angle caused judder. Does clean water wet the screen or are beads formed?

2 minutes ago, peter_k said:

Have you confirmed that it is a blade/screen contact issue and not from the wiper spindle/bush?  Can you operate with the arm pulled away from screen (or removed) and also try wetting the screen with car shampoo to see if the squeak goes.

I thought that squeaking was an indication of screen contamination (or very low wiper pressure?) and issues with blade pressure and angle caused judder. Does clean water wet the screen or are beads formed?

Hi. It's deffo the noise when the blade drags across the screen. I have thoroughly cleaned the screen with auto glym fast glass. When the screens soaking wet it's not too bad. It worse when it's not that wet. 

Just now, FelisBengalensis said:

Unfortunately it takes very little time for the fine grit on UK roads to wreck the edge of the blade and once that happens then replacement is just about the only choice.  I get through 2-3 a year on my Combi as my commute is along dirty roads.

I've replaced mine. Still the same :-(

I don't think this is possible with short plastic wiper arms and low profile blades but if the arm was bent either towards or away from the screen then there would be a pressure difference between the ends of the blade and the low pressure end could squeak. Since you've cleaned the screen and changed the blade my only other guess is that the wiper spindle is bent or  not in the correct position- attempted vandalism ?

26 minutes ago, Prykey said:

Have you the Bosch replacement blade, its an A403H for the hatch?

I've had no trouble with mine (touching wood and whistling) :)

+1 Replaced fronts (A864S) & rear with Bosch Aerotwins when OEM blades became noisy. Had the Bosch fitted longer now than the OEM supplied blades and I cannot fault them.

• Like 1

Is the one that comes with the car as new not Bosch then? Halfords don't sell the rear for mine so do I have to get one online? I bought one earlier this week from motorserv, just a generic one £9

I'd tried various things to stop the noise from the blades(s). Some methods worked, others didn't, but inevitably the noise soon came back. The rear squeaked, the fronts clacked when they reached end of travel.

I'd resigned myself to the noise as they were still perfectly capable of doing the job they were designed to do - until an 84 year old hard of hearing passenger commented on the noise. That's when I decided enough was enough. :@

25 minutes ago, tigermad said:

Is the one that comes with the car as new not Bosch then? Halfords don't sell the rear for mine so do I have to get one online? I bought one earlier this week from motorserv, just a generic one £9

I don't know who manufactures the OEM blades, others have said they are Bosch but they're definitely not Aerotwin. I've kept them, gathering dust in my garage, intended to be used as a stop gap whenever the Aerotwins need replacing.

Purely out of convenience I purchased my Aerotwins through Amazon (rear front).

@RickTT started a mini-review of wiper blades thread last May.

• Like 1

I had to buy some new wipers as my driver's side one lost the end cap. Luckily I was parking the wipers to clean the screen when I saw it was missing, the top of the wiper was half out. I think if I had been driving in the rain I would have lost the blade completely which would have been interesting!

Anyway I went to europarts and they had a set of Bosch for £46.99, a single right hand one for £20.49 and a left hand one for £15.99. You can guess what I went for! Had a 35%  off weekend so that was ok.

• 5 months later...

My rear wiper juddered as it went back and forth on the rear screen when I bought the car from new back in August 2017. I have only just got around to fitting a Bosch A403H and the difference is like night and day. No squeaks or judders just clean wiping. Never had a problem with the front wipers.

Best ten quid I've spent on a car part yet. It is also the simplest and easy to fit wiper I have ever done. Push the square button on the wiper arm and it unclips. Push in the new one until it clicks and all done in 10 seconds.

Search for BOSCH 3397008998 Wischblatt Aerotwin on Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a new wiper the other day from a local car parts shop.  Ended up getting Valeo (wanted Bosch but he didnt have them in stock).

Now totally silent, you forget it's there.  I think the factory fitted one was a bit rubbish.

Age and temperature (cold) will affect rubber, especially if there is not enough lubricant (rain/window wash fluid). My rear wiper was fine on the backstroke, squeaked on the downstroke. Front o/s wiper the same. Temperature went up next day and they were both fine.

I've read (probably written by a wiper company) that they should be replaced every six months.

• 7 months later...
10 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Genuine question. Do you guys find the rear wiper useful? The reason I ask is that in 6 years across 3 Superbs (all hatches) on UK roads I've never once wished I had one, or had to clean the rear window between normal washes.

Its not just for cleaning. Surely you need it when it's raining cats and dogs? Or dont you want to see what behind when it's raining?

Edited by tigermad

1 hour ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Genuine question. Do you guys find the rear wiper useful? The reason I ask is that in 6 years across 3 Superbs (all hatches) on UK roads I've never once wished I had one, or had to clean the rear window between normal washes.

Yes. I park on the street. Dew collects on the car, dust settles creating spots. Sun shines on the spots, obscuring vision. Rear window wash and wiper sorts me out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, freelunch said:

Yes. I park on the street. Dew collects on the car, dust settles creating spots. Sun shines on the spots, obscuring vision. Rear window wash and wiper sorts me out.

+1.  Even at motorway speeds the airflow alone doesn’t clear the rear window IME.   I had a Passat CC a few years ago and a rear wiper wasn’t an option; aesthetically great but I missed not having one, especially in the Winter months. 

• Thanks 1