Lights out

Octyboy

Had my Fabia III Monte for several months now and want to ask about side lights being turned on but the dash doesn't. Struggling to get used to having to have full beam on when side lights would do....... but no dash lighting up. Whats more I used to like the alarm when you left the lights on with ignition off whilst exiting the car. Where's that gone. Appreciate any pointers. 

I've seen this same question before .Having just googled this I have now learnt that sidelights are only legal under 30 mph on roads well lit by street lights, so I'm wondering if that is the reason,  

With regard to the alarm or warning, if you leave the headlights on they go off when the ignition key is removed. 

Have you got auto headlights on the Monte? 

Edited by thamestrader

Hi thanks for the feedback and interesting, I hadn't heard of that before regards 30mph limitaton. I'll check that out. I read about the lights being turned off with the key removed but just miss a reminder to simply turn them off. 

As for auto headlights I considered whether I had these but think not. I'll have to have another look but the manual indicated a certain lights knob which I don't have.

No worries, a bit more investigation needed.

Not sure if it helps, but  to keep it simple - do you have a "Black box" between rear view mirror and windscreen, with a dark patch on the screen that you can see outside?  This is the sensor for auto lights / Auto wipers.

Or a question that may be even simpler - Did you ask for autolights as an option ?.

The dash lights should only come on when you actually switch the lights on ( unlike Yeti where they are on all the time due to the depth of recess of them).

For safety you should not drive on side lights even - as suggested under 30mph in lit streets, as these do not light the road ahead and with most cars having DLR  that are brighter then these become obscured. With modern cars this highway code 'rule' is outdated and needs to be removed, as people still drive on them thinking they can be seen even in drizzle, low winter sun, fog and even dusky light. 

I am glad for safety reasons that Skoda have done this ( no dash lights when side lights are on) as it will stop people who come from older cars who think they are sufficiently lit up with just these because they can see thier dash continue to do this. 

With regards to the 'left lights on' warning, i can understand there no longer being a need for this specially as all the electrics go off when the key is removed.

P.S. doesnt the Monte have DLR option ?

lfc958, I feel like I've just had a right dressing down :crying:

No there is no sensor, and no I did not select auto lights as an option as it's a 'used' purchase. As for the lesson on not driving with side lights on, well let's not go there.

But that said I appreciate the feedback on these latest changes to lights usage and the lack of a warning of lights left on.

Now what's this about the DLR. A quirky train line that does its job, but how can that be of any help. :wondering:

12 hours ago, lfc958 said:

Not sure if it helps, but  to keep it simple - do you have a "Black box" between rear view mirror and windscreen, with a dark patch on the screen that you can see outside?  This is the sensor for auto lights / Auto wipers.

This can be rather confusing, The Wife's Fabia has the " Black Box " but theres nothing in it. Our Fabia has Auto lights but not Auto wipers therefor the Light sensor is on the Dash, not the mirror housing.

53 minutes ago, Octyboy said:

lfc958, I feel like I've just had a right dressing down :crying:

No there is no sensor, and no I did not select auto lights as an option as it's a 'used' purchase. As for the lesson on not driving with side lights on, well let's not go there.

But that said I appreciate the feedback on these latest changes to lights usage and the lack of a warning of lights left on.

Now what's this about the DLR. A quirky train line that does its job, but how can that be of any help. :wondering:

Not meant as - please don't take it that way, Its just personal pet hate ;)  ( had accident on a roundabout over 35 years ago,on a roundabout it was  dark, raining, other driver only sidelights only.)

DLR - Day Light Runner,  I am sure on the MK3 this can be switched on, either asking a friendly VAG- Com owner to activate or by a setting in the Multi function display the manual or a friendly MK3 owner may be able to help if you want this.

You should hopefully get used to only having dash lights when all lights are on, along with no more warning beep when lights left on.

55 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

This can be rather confusing, The Wife's Fabia has the " Black Box " but theres nothing in it. Our Fabia has Auto lights but not Auto wipers therefor the Light sensor is on the Dash, not the mirror housing.

Retro fit ? :) 

My fellow Briskodians, many thanks for all the feedback, I have some homework and fiddling to do. I found the DLR and also have now turned down the volume of music when reversing, a preference of mine. So again thank you all :)