MY2014 Superb & Spare Wheel / Tool Kit "Issues"

TheRobinK

This is an FYI and also a quick question:

Got a screw in a front tyre and hence a flat yesterday. Time to use my spare (factory supplied spare wheel kit with tools).

First issue: The plastic wheel bolt cover "removal tool" supplied with the car is the wrong one for the alloys that were also supplied with the car. I got a "pigs tail" tool which is used for centre cap covers and or wheel bolt covers with a hole in the middle.   I needed a pair of plastic pliers (see image below, thankfully posted by silver1011 

I mention this partly because it ****ed me off but also as a suggestion to others to check - nobody needs to be hunkered down in rain at the side of a roadway trying to fiddle these little plastic buggers off. You cant assume, even if ordered with the car, that you have the right tools to change a wheel and get the spare on.  You look very manly jacking the car up but really wimpy when a little cheapo plastic cover defeats you.

Second Issue: While I was waiting for my wife to bring me my tools so I could do a work around on the caps - I discovered that I was missing the security locking wheel nut for my alloys. I took the trunk area apart trying to find the bugger....but once I got the plastic bolt covers off - I discovered I was wasting my time. I don't  have a locking security bolt on any of the wheels. Is it common for Superbs to have alloys but no security bolts?

The correct tool (along with a smart phone to check Briskoda for relevant posts !  ;) ) :

bc6.jpg&key=be4c86ae41a54c3d144e90271e41

What was in the factory kit:

1pc-New-font-b-Wheel-b-font-Lug-Nut-Cent

22 minutes ago, dudec said:

Previous owner probably lost them

I had the tool from the second pic - just not the plastic pliers. And of course, I had no locking nut because the car has no security bolts on its wheels.

The previous owner was Skoda Ireland. There was not so much as a fingerprint on anything in the wheel well when I got the car. I suppose someone in one of their showrooms could have lifted it. That said, I was told today that I'm not the first person to have a car without it - a few people with FL's have complained. 

You should be able to identify which security nut you need by comparing the images on ebay.

put this earch into ebay. it will bring up key 777 (t) but underneath will be all the others.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Skoda-Locking-Wheel-Bolt-Nut-Key-777-T-/263210801246?hash=item3d4896185e:g:ruYAAOSwTA9X4FhR

13 minutes ago, superbdreams said:

You should be able to identify which security nut you need by comparing the images on ebay

I don't need a security nut because the car has no security bolts on its wheels.

I spent time looking for the security nut as I  assumed that I must have one. It was only when I got the plastic caps off that I realised my car  wasn't fitted with them. I thought that was strange..... :wondering:

2 hours ago, superbdreams said:

apologies

No need!  I'll bet that someone having a problem with security nuts will find this post and either 1) realise that not all cars have them or 2) use your post to find what they do need if they are missing one.

We're just keeping the bases covered. :)

Similar with my 2014 facelift. Bought at 14 months old and came fitted with a spare wheel. Discovered that I didn't have the plastic cap removal tool when I fitted my winter wheels. (EBay fixed)

Did have wheel locking but though

My Fabia MK1 04 came with the pigtail tool but needed the puller. Again like others obtained one from eBay. The spare wheel tool holding box never had a space for the puller either, just the pig tail. Maybe it's been an issue for a while ?

12 minutes ago, drefaldwyn said:

I believe the pigtail device is used for pulling plastic wheel trims off steel wheels

Yeah, you're right - that seems to be one purpose for it.

Two other uses  I have seen are for removing the centre cap on some Audi wheels and also removing a different type of bolt cap from Volkswagens.

Also the case that my Superb came with the "pigtail" but not the plastic cap puller.

I'd recommend getting a couple - I've broken the first one I've got fighting with the covers in the cold.

I'd very much like to get rid of the covers but obviously don't want the bolt heads especially the locking nut to corrode either. Maybe there's a decent replacement bolt option that's still steel or as good as steel bolts?

Cheers,

Steve

I ordered my Superb from new with the optional spare wheel kit and when I picked it up from the dealer I checked under the boot floor to see if everything was there only to find there was no locking wheel security nut, obviously hadn't been picked up during the PDI. This was very quickly sorted by the parts managed bringing out a selection of security nuts and trying them on the car, when one fitted he just handed it over to me.

One of the first things I do when picking up a new car is to check whether the security bolt is there and then I check to see if it's the right one. 

8 minutes ago, cnc said:

I checked under the boot floor to see if everything was there only to find there was no locking wheel security nut, obviously hadn't been picked up during the PDI.

For me, I couldn't find the security nut... but that was because it wasn't required. My car has no security bolt on any of its wheels. That surprised me - I had just assumed they would be standard.

• 2 weeks later...