Emissions remap

matnrach

37 minutes ago, linni said:

Just installed app.

Almost 500 kilometers since last regen. Regen took about 13 minutes, after regen still 5,4 g of soot, 22% of full left.

How many miles has your car done and has it had the 'fix map? 

When I have a regen it goes back to about 22% and it has done about 22k miles and also shows a  -ve percentage of soot!.

Maybe this will be different with the rollback map?

So this app you are using is from VAG. It can quite easy work out you have remapped the car. It can (and almost certainly does) transmit this data from your phone to VAG, who in turn can tell anyone you have remapped your car.

Hmmmm not so keen on using the app myself

3 minutes ago, Razzertrevor said:

My car still shows update from skoda not the roll back so no they don't know are you saying Europe is a fly I thought it was Hoover sucking up all our money

Why would VAG tell you they know something?

Europe?

According to Skoda my car has had the updated map. However I am going to take the car to my trusted local garage for servicing as I don't trust the dealer not to put the 'fix' map back in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matnrach said:

How many miles has your car done and has it had the 'fix map? 

When I have a regen it goes back to about 22% and it has done about 22k miles and also shows a  -ve percentage of soot!.

Maybe this will be different with the rollback map?

I have done 260 000 kms now (160 000 miles). At 240 000 km service official dealer installed new emissions map by accident (I had refused several times, even signed some official document, but they did it anyway). After remap I started visually notice regens - lots of white smoke from pipe. First 240 000 kms I noticed nothing.

1 hour ago, S00perb said:

So this app you are using is from VAG. It can quite easy work out you have remapped the car. It can (and almost certainly does) transmit this data from your phone to VAG, who in turn can tell anyone you have remapped your car.

Don`t be so paranoid.

This app is not developed by VAG and even if it was, collecting data secretly from clients would possibly bring another, probably bigger lawsuit than emissions case.

Besides, I am using chip not remap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, linni said:

I have done 260 000 kms now (160 000 miles). At 240 000 km service official dealer installed new emissions map by accident (I had refused several times, even signed some official document, but they did it anyway). After remap I started visually notice regens - lots of white smoke from pipe. First 240 000 kms I noticed nothing.

Don`t be so paranoid.

This app is not developed by VAG and even if it was, collecting data secretly from clients would possibly bring another, probably bigger lawsuit than emissions case.

Besides, I am using chip not remap.

Exactly - they do it even through you asked them not to!! Did they put the map back in free of charge or did you have to get it done? -

Just now, matnrach said:

Exactly - they do it even through you asked them not to!! Did they put the map back in free of charge or did you have to get it done? -

They cannot reverse the remap.

You can only do it at some tuning companies.

2 minutes ago, linni said:

They cannot reverse the remap.

You can only do it at some tuning companies.

As you may know if your have read the earlier part of the thread, I got mine rolled back yesterday at a tuning company. I find it amazing that they could change it with the explicit instructions not to do so, which is why I will not take my car to the dealers.

Did they offer any kind of apology? What did they do?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, linni said:

Don`t be so paranoid.

Are you joking? Most apps are free because your data is what pays for it.

Many companies get others to make the apos for them and buy the data.

They are not secretly collecting this data - you gave them permission to do that

This app uses the following permissions that you agree to: Photos / Media / Filesaccess USB storage filesystem, read the contents of your USB storage,modify or delete the contents of your USB storage. Storage, read the contents of your USB storage, modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Plenty in there for you to be giving your identity away. That lot is worth over $100 as a data set. Not counting the data you are giving them about your car

No app is free - if you don't pay for it with cash and £3.30 is unlikely to cover the costs, you pay for it with your data - which will be sold at some stage (and probably lost in a data breach one day as well)

I have been involved with computer systems and software projects long enough to know where the money comes from and data goes to. Developing Apps is an expensive industry - not done for financial loss. Most people just click 'accept' and have no clue as to what they just signed away. 'Don't be paranoid' is about the worst thing to advise someone when it comes to computers and mobile phones.

Dealers should have access to flash discs containing any intermediate ECU software versions so using ODIS-e (engineering) they can perform an offline flash to a pre-fix version.

Obviously as VAG haven't provided any written instruction on how to do this, so dealers are unlikely to take the risk. It also relies on there having been an update prior to the fix version which there won't be for every ECU.

As an example, my car had SW:7100 from the factory, there is an update to SW:9813 and the fix version is likely to be SW:9977+. If a dealer were to apply the fix, it should be trivial to restore back to SW:9813 and remove it. Plenty of people have reported success using VCP to do this but ODIS-e should be just as capable.

18 minutes ago, S00perb said:

Most apps are free because your data is what pays for it.

Most free apps are loaded with adverts.

5 minutes ago, S00perb said:

They are not secretly collecting this data - you gave them permission to do that

I gave them permisson to access my mobile phone, not where, when and with who I am driving - totally different cases. The last thing is legally called (do not know exact english translation) illegal pursuance and is punished very hardly according to EU regulations. Only police and some MI apartments are allowed to do that.

6 minutes ago, S00perb said:

This app uses the following permissions that you agree to: Photos / Media / Filesaccess USB storage filesystem, read the contents of your USB storage,modify or delete the contents of your USB storage. Storage, read the contents of your USB storage, modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Correct, otherways ithe app cannot log data.

But I did not notice within permissions, that app can forward my data to third parties.

I don`t know which county you are living in but in Europe you just cannot sell my data to third parties without my permission.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Razzertrevor said:

I think you've spent to much time in Eastern Europe you need to get away to a country we're your not spied on by putin

Except its not called spying - its data broking. And you give them permission to do it

Eastern Europe? No UK

Today on BBC news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41844033

The Information Commissioner's Office said it was the first such penalty following a wider investigation into the so-called data broking industry.

Verso has been in business since 2011 and describes itself as the "largest lead-generation business in the UK by some distance".

According to its website, it uses call centres in India, the Philippines and North America to carry out surveys with the public, with the stated aim of helping consumers cut their utility bills.

These are branded as being carried out by the UK Savers Club and I Love My Offers among other names.

The business then offers other companies the ability to target consumers via email, phone, postal mail and text, based on the lifestyle, financial and demographic information gathered from respondents.

http://www.channelfutures.com/mobile-computing/study-mobile-app-data-mining-bigger-threat-malware

According to mobile app risk management vendor Appthority, a majority of the most popular iOS and Android apps exhibit risky behavior when it comes to sharing personal information with third-party marketers, including accessing users’ contacts, calendars, locations and more. The unwarranted data mining from these apps is actually more of a threat to users than malware, due to both the prevalence of app snooping on personal information and the general naïvety of users when it comes to protecting their own data, according to the company.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

The UK is in Europe and will still be when out of the EU and 'they' whoever that may be do WTF they want, because the EU or European Governments are not stopping anyone doing it.

They do not even take much action when they know they have.

Show me a politician that actually understands it all. 'get rid of encryption' they say 'we can't intercept it', 'put in backdoors' - they seem to think only good guys want to spy............

I see the official figures say that only 2/3 of eligable cars have had the software change as of this week and the numbers being submitted for the change is apparently drying up. My car is one of them that has not been done.  I was fortunate to get a chance to drive a Superb Greenline the same as mine that had been done and I didn't like it. It wasn't dreadful, but it was not as refined as my car and seemed to slightly tarnish what is normally a beautifully smooth engine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1