Cycling to work?

Thomson

I used to work for a big company offering a bike to work scheme. I did use the scheme to get a bike but never rode it there as I lived close by. 

My current employer doesn’t, but a guy does ride their bike to work, despite it being a fair old distance. 

:)

I cycle to work.  As often as I can - usually five or six days a week.  It's only four miles each way, but is quicker by bike than by car.  Good lights, locks and clothing make it possible all year round.

No cycle to work scheme as such, but a loan scheme that's broadly similar, although I've not personally used it.

Gaz

I do. I had a bike with electronic assistance and did it all year (in fact my highest mileage was December). It got nicked and now I'm trying to make do without the assistance, so sticking to good weather days until I build up more resilience. My ride is 10.7 miles each way, however on the round trip I'll do 2200ft of climbing (much worse on the way home as I live on top of a large hill).

Cycle to work all looks like a faff, unless your in the 40% income tax bracket it looks like it would be more effective to shop around or buy last years model with a discount.

1 minute ago, DanHarper said:

I do. I had a bike with electronic assistance and did it all year (in fact my highest mileage was December). It got nicked and now I'm trying to make do without the assistance, so sticking to good weather days until I build up more resilience. My ride is 10.7 miles each way, however on the round trip I'll do 2200ft of climbing (much worse on the way home as I live on top of a large hill).

Cycle to work all looks like a faff, unless your in the 40% income tax bracket it looks like it would be more effective to shop around or buy last years model with a discount.

Good point here.

There are so many good used bikes around buying new is unnecessary and expensive. It’s a bit like the car market in that respect.

i used to commute 20 miles a day. I was lucky as my workplace provided good shower and changing facilities.

Nowaydays, in retirement, I meet up with cycling friends three times per week. Great form of exercise.

I got a bike through the cycle to work scheme about 5 years ago. Used it part of the way to work as it was a 35 mile trip each way.

Now I’m with a different employer which is only 7 mile away from home. I use the same bike to cycle to work as much as I can in the summer months.

It’s quite an enjoyable ride on the way to work as it’s mostly down hill with a few small hills to climb. Coming home is not so much fun!

However, I’ve just bought an ebike which I’ll be using to cycle to work next summer.

I’ve got the feeling coming home will be much more enjoyable!

Edited by Jon TDI

So how does the cycle to work scheme work?  

Goin to be commuting three miles to work next week from now on.  No point in having a car. Looking to start biking it. Not sure weather to start now or just wait till after Xmas.  Three, Miles doesn't seem too much to do day in and day out.  Been 14 years since I have been able to cycle or walk to work so looking forward to it :-)  

just need a bike. Lol 

15 minutes ago, Thomson said:

So how does the cycle to work scheme work?  

Goin to be commuting three miles to work next week from now on.  No point in having a car. Looking to start biking it. Not sure weather to start now or just wait till after Xmas.  Three, Miles doesn't seem too much to do day in and day out.  Been 14 years since I have been able to cycle or walk to work so looking forward to it :-)  

just need a bike. Lol 

Save serious money and buy a used one. There are thousands of good bikes out there waiting. 

Firstly, some schemes only run for a small part of the year, that depends on the employer (mine does march and September for 28 days). You apply for the funding through your employers provider and they send you a cheque for the amount for the bike (and certain accessories).

You the then start paying back a certain amount per month out of your wages before tax is taken out (that is where it works out cheaper). After a year You are then given the option to pay off the rest of the bike. As the bike has been used, wear and tear of the bike is taken into account on the final cost. You can pay the final amount (which can be less than what you owe) or hand the bike back.

That is a rough outline of how it works and different schemes vary slightly.  An internet search will tell you more clearly.

Edited by roo

when I did it the bikes were vat free and came off gross salary. Max was £1000 for bike + equipment (you can add in pretty much any equipment you need, I got shoes and pedals).

At the end you pay a nominal fee to buy the bike (before that it's owned by the business so you're supposed to insure it in case of theft). I paid something like £10 as a token figure but that may have gone up.

It's probably true you could get a 2nd hand bike cheaper but if you want new it can be a good option.

In my previous job I used to commute by bike all year round on my day shifts & used to commute by bike on my night shifts in the summer only.  32miles per day & just short of 2000ft climbing per day.

In my current job I used to cycle once a week (all year) until my bike was stolen from work.  my current commute was 62miles per day and around 3500ft of climbing.

There are a few different cycle schemes available.  If you are considering it, don't forget a Lock/Clothing/Lights etc.

Thank you all. I think I will just look into buying a good second hand bike.  There's a few decent ones on gumtree eBay etc.  Maybe couple off hundred for a decent one? Bike will just be used to work and back. Flatish road. Doesn't need carbon forks and suspension just yet lol. 

• 3 months later...

I Bike to work most days, except in fog and if the roads are icy.  My commute is relatively short as it's only six miles or so.  It's all downhill going to work but hard work up the hills coming home.  My commuter is a Planet X London Road, I'm self-employed so don't have access to the Cycle to Work Scheme.

Love cycling to work, makes me fell fresher and more ready to face the day!

I occasionally do a 14 mile each way commute, the roads aren't great so I leave early to avoid the bulk of the traffic. I will probably do this more frequently now I'm running a thirsty car!

Fastest I managed was a 22mph average! Would love a Planet X London road for the commute, just can't justify it at the min.

2 hours ago, VRS Mike said:

I occasionally do a 14 mile each way commute, the roads aren't great so I leave early to avoid the bulk of the traffic. I will probably do this more frequently now I'm running a thirsty car!

Fastest I managed was a 22mph average! Would love a Planet X London road for the commute, just can't justify it at the min.

I was lucky enough to get my London Road in one of Planet X's ludicrous sales, it's always worth keeping an eye on their website for bargains.

12 minutes ago, DeEmBe said:

I was lucky enough to get my London Road in one of Planet X's ludicrous sales, it's always worth keeping an eye on their website for bargains.

I am on the mailing list, either a London road or one of their CX bikes would be ideal

Having recently purchased a new hybrid after many years of riding DH and DJ, I am looking at riding to work when the weather warms up a bit. CBA driving in the cold car on -3 degrees mornings let alone ride a bike in it! 

It's around a 12mile round trip, looking forward to it as I used to do 80miles a weekend when I was a teenager riding to the trails etc. Then I passed my test and the rest is history as they say.