What annoyed you today?

Aspman

DFDS..... Muppets 🙄

Cancelled original return for 27th march, phoned 2 weeks ago to book for today, paid the £30 extra, email confirms today @ 18.00 from Dieppe.

Arrive at 16.45, totally shut! 

Now at euro tunnel waiting for a 21.20 train £126 lighter. 😣

Didn't trust myself to go to DFDS Calais, I need some time to chill.... then the emails start

• Sad 1

and I was looking forward to photos of some nasty plastic ferry burgers and pretend chips  in the tea thread...

Couple of things the last few days...

The first was a rat in the compost bin...   My wife demanded all compost was dumped so it all went in the garden waste bin and several layers of weldmesh were placed under and inside the base to stop our furry friend digging his way in again.

Second was the builders who built our kitchen extension before we moved in.  They didn't reroute the boiler condensate pipe properly so the acidic condensate has eaten through the roof tiles.  There was no easy way to route a pipe internally or externally to a suitable drain or gully so it's now piped down the roof of the extension to the gutter.  Not ideal or pretty but it'll do for the time being.   I've also bitumen flashed over the hole made in the leading at the top of the roof and some of the tiles so we are at least watertight again.

IMG_20200426_161235.jpg

IMG_20200426_161228.jpg

IMG_20200503_204307.jpg

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, olduns said:

DFDS..... Muppets 🙄

Cancelled original return for 27th march, phoned 2 weeks ago to book for today, paid the £30 extra, email confirms today @ 18.00 from Dieppe.

Arrive at 16.45, totally shut! 

Now at euro tunnel waiting for a 21.20 train £126 lighter. 😣

Didn't trust myself to go to DFDS Calais, I need some time to chill.... then the emails start

I would be interested in finding out what happened there, if its any consolation £126 to turn up & go with Eurotunnel was actually a bargain.

Did you have any other problems on your journey, contrôles etc?

I am planning to make the same journey very soon to repatriate my old French reg car left in the UK when I brought the new(er) Yeti over, foot passengers not allowed so I will have to cycle to Dieppe (bikes are same price as motorbikes) and wont be happy to find the same.

It already happened to me in the past when they decided to leave the boat at the dock (not enough vehicles booked) and gave me the bums rush with a voucher for a Calais ferry and not enough time to get there.

I was angry, flustered and drove out the poor junction from their car park to the main road leading to the autoroute on the wrong side of the road driving too fast whilst reading my map, thank goodness it was 02.00 hrs and no oncoming traffic, I joined the autoroute roundabout and was close to driving up the exit and not the entry slip road but thankfully the angle didnt seem correct (unlike their car park) and I could see headlights.

15 years ago and the memory of it still gives me the chills.

Planning this one way journey as a foot passenger is a real challenge, before CV19 I had it all squared away with a €39 Eurostar Snap ticket from Lille to St Pancras, now even the overnight buses are not running.

Any ideas?

45 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Any ideas

get to Calais, and strap yourself to the under carriage of an Artic that's heading in vaguely the right direction?

Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, skomaz said:

Couple of things the last few days...

The first was a rat in the compost bin...   My wife demanded all compost was dumped so it all went in the garden waste bin and several layers of weldmesh were placed under and inside the base to stop our furry friend digging his way in again.

Second was the builders who built our kitchen extension before we moved in.  They didn't reroute the boiler condensate pipe properly so the acidic condensate has eaten through the roof tiles.  There was no easy way to route a pipe internally or externally to a suitable drain or gully so it's now piped down the roof of the extension to the gutter.  Not ideal or pretty but it'll do for the time being.   I've also bitumen flashed over the hole made in the leading at the top of the roof and some of the tiles so we are at least watertight again.

IMG_20200503_204307.jpg

That condensate pipe will freeze in winter if it pools at all at the top, it can still freeze on the downslope as the drips freeze, eventually it can plug itself and the condensate pump shuts the boiler down. Most gas engineers put Armaflex/foam pipe insulation inside a larger sink waste sized pipe - that'll look even worse mind! Can you rotate pipe 90 degrees clockwise and take it over roof edge somewhere, even into a bucket and chuck it as needed?

13 minutes ago, NJRJ said:

That condensate pipe will freeze in winter if it pools at all at the top, it can still freeze on the downslope as the drips freeze, eventually it can plug itself and the condensate pump shuts the boiler down. Most gas engineers put Armaflex/foam pipe insulation inside a larger sink waste sized pipe - that'll look even worse mind! Can you rotate pipe 90 degrees clockwise and take it over roof edge somewhere, even into a bucket and chuck it as needed?

I think its only a temporary bodge until he can get it sorted properly when the lockdown restrictions are lifted?

even trying to get materials at the minute here in Ireland is a dose 

20 minutes ago, NJRJ said:

22 minutes ago, NJRJ said:

Possibly...   although its never pooled at the bend at the top of the slope yet which has been on there for a few years now.  However it doesnt drip constantly it works on a syphine system so chucks out a cupfull at a time every now and then.  If it does the  the pipe detaches easy enough at the base of the boiler so i can pop it off and put a bucket under it.

I can't go right as you look at the picture as it'll have bugger all fall on it, the nearest downpipe is about 5m away and the window ledge is in the way anyhow.  Going left i might get a bit of fall on it but it's a longer run to a downpipe or gully and would potentially end up going across the top of the french doors at the back of the house stopping us opening them and to sort that would mean making it flat again.  Inside i cant get at any internal sink or bath drains as they are all under a ceramic tiled floor.

So basically im buggered whichever way i try and go but this buys me some time to think...   otherwise im replacing roof tiles every few years.  I did think about a small open gutter running down the roof which might be better in terms of freezing but didnt have any...

The fallback will be trace heating if needed i guess

9 hours ago, skomaz said:

Possibly...   although its never pooled at the bend at the top of the slope yet which has been on there for a few years now.  However it doesnt drip constantly it works on a syphine system so chucks out a cupfull at a time every now and then.  If it does the  the pipe detaches easy enough at the base of the boiler so i can pop it off and put a bucket under it.

I can't go right as you look at the picture as it'll have bugger all fall on it, the nearest downpipe is about 5m away and the window ledge is in the way anyhow.  Going left i might get a bit of fall on it but it's a longer run to a downpipe or gully and would potentially end up going across the top of the french doors at the back of the house stopping us opening them and to sort that would mean making it flat again.  Inside i cant get at any internal sink or bath drains as they are all under a ceramic tiled floor.

So basically im buggered whichever way i try and go but this buys me some time to think...   otherwise im replacing roof tiles every few years.  I did think about a small open gutter running down the roof which might be better in terms of freezing but didnt have any...

The fallback will be trace heating if needed i guess

boiler dependant.. you shouldn't be disconnecting it internally unless theres a 75mm trap built in. 

The condensate is part of the flueing system and you could end up with POC into the property. 

If you can get it to ground level nicely then a soak-away kit may be the way forward for you from what you’re saying, if you’re happy to have a small area of ground dug up

14 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

boiler dependant.. you shouldn't be disconnecting it internally unless theres a 75mm trap built in. 

The condensate is part of the flueing system and you could end up with POC into the property. 

If you can get it to ground level nicely then a soak-away kit may be the way forward for you from what you’re saying, if you’re happy to have a small area of ground dug up

It's a Vaillant Ecotec plus 831 so has an internal trap built in - I'd only be disconnecting the 22mm outlet pipe from underneath the boiler and dropping that into a bucket in the cupboard below.

Soakaway might work but then I'd still have a run across the width of the extension and then vertically down so still a fair length.  The whole of the house has indian stone paving round it and the soakaway would need to be 500mm from the foundations - which means going about 1m from the house and lifting a load of stone slabs etc. to fit it.  However, I've then still got the issue of a long external pipe run - even with the best location I can find (for it which would be the corner between the kitchen and back wall of original house  (see below which also shows you where the gutter downpipes are.  I might get to the one on the left above the French doors but that's a long run.

I'm still thinking black rubber insulation on the run down the extension roof and trace heating, or change the pipe I've added down the slope of the extension roof to open mini guttering when I can get some (realistically all I'm trying to do it keep the condensate off the roof tiles so stop it eating them as the original white outlet in the pictures has never yet frozen over even in prolonged cold spells)

Any more thoughts?

IMG_20200504_085755.jpg

10 minutes ago, skomaz said:

It's a Vaillant Ecotec plus 831 so has an internal trap built in - I'd only be disconnecting the 22mm outlet pipe from underneath the boiler and dropping that into a bucket in the cupboard below.

Soakaway might work but then I'd still have a run across the width of the extension and then vertically down so still a fair length.  The whole of the house has indian stone paving round it and the soakaway would need to be 500mm from the foundations - which means going about 1m from the house and lifting a load of stone slabs etc. to fit it.  However, I've then still got the issue of a long external pipe run - even with the best location I can find (for it which would be the corner between the kitchen and back wall of original house  (see below which also shows you where the gutter downpipes are.  I might get to the one on the left above the French doors but that's a long run.

I'm still thinking black rubber insulation on the run down the extension roof and trace heating, or change the pipe I've added down the slope of the extension roof to open mini guttering when I can get some (realistically all I'm trying to do it keep the condensate off the roof tiles so stop it eating them as the original white outlet in the pictures has never yet frozen over even in prolonged cold spells)

Any more thoughts?

IMG_20200504_085755.jpg

its okay on that boiler. Not ideal but the trap is sufficient to stop the fumes, i think they're around 140mm on those from memory. 

fair play on that pic it does look a PITA to do a soakaway. Yeah atleast 500mm away as the acidic water has been known to eat the footings of the house away. Not ideal. 

Where are you in the country? Tbh if thats 32mm pipe down the roof it probably wont freeze Unless you’re in an exposed area, scotland or the peaks etc but id try and angle it into the gutter abit so the wind cant blow up it quite so easily. I wouldn't bother with trace heating and tbh insulation looks a mess so id try it without first. worst thing is it freezes and faults the boiler out but you’ll know what it is. 

only other way then if you’re completely out of options is a condensate pump into the loft then run it out where you can. Internal soil stacks are nice when you can get a boss into them in the loft for example. 

could you turn it to the left, extend the white pvc so it has a bit of slope to get it over to the lead flashing, and just follow that down to the corner of the gutter?

it would at least take it out of eye line in the middle of the roof.

paint the white pipe a similar colour to the brick and it will hide it.

add an elbow to the end of black pipe into gutter too, and you're sorted

Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 1

cheers guys - I see what you mean...

It's currently 22mm as that was what the original white outlet was that the builders just chopped back and it's all solvent welded with the internal run so for the time being I've just gone with the same size as I had some in the garage and also had some 22mm pipe clips (they don't show in the photo but there are four of them down the roof screwed to small metal plates pushed under the tiles to hold it all in place).  I have a couple of 90 degree elbows as well so will stick one of those on the end to angle it into the gutter and give it a bit of protection from the wind and if I can get something larger diameter post-lockdown I'll try. 

In terms of location - we're on the South West edge of Sheffield so close to the Peaks and do get a fair amount of cold weather /  snow but that extension is on the leeward side of the house for prevailing winds so isn't as exposed as the front of the house (where we've had water coming in through the window frames in driving rain).

At least now I know that the lights won't fuse when the boiler dumps it's condensate (we've had a few sessions of that and couldn't work out what was tripping them but having seen where the hole in the lead flashing was that the condensate had created I reckon it was above, or close to, one of the kitchen downlighters which may explain it).

Thanks for the advice!

25 minutes ago, skomaz said:

cheers guys - I see what you mean...

It's currently 22mm as that was what the original white outlet was that the builders just chopped back and it's all solvent welded with the internal run so for the time being I've just gone with the same size as I had some in the garage and also had some 22mm pipe clips (they don't show in the photo but there are four of them down the roof screwed to small metal plates pushed under the tiles to hold it all in place).  I have a couple of 90 degree elbows as well so will stick one of those on the end to angle it into the gutter and give it a bit of protection from the wind and if I can get something larger diameter post-lockdown I'll try. 

In terms of location - we're on the South West edge of Sheffield so close to the Peaks and do get a fair amount of cold weather /  snow but that extension is on the leeward side of the house for prevailing winds so isn't as exposed as the front of the house (where we've had water coming in through the window frames in driving rain).

At least now I know that the lights won't fuse when the boiler dumps it's condensate (we've had a few sessions of that and couldn't work out what was tripping them but having seen where the hole in the lead flashing was that the condensate had created I reckon it was above, or close to, one of the kitchen downlighters which may explain it).

Thanks for the advice!

it will freeze in standard overflow externally. Needs to be sized up to atleast 1 -1/4 

1 hour ago, fabiamk2SE said:

it will freeze in standard overflow externally. Needs to be sized up to atleast 1 -1/4 

Ok cheers - will get it swapped out after lockdown.  Interestingly I've just found the installation instructions for the boiler and they suggest 19mm internal and 22mm external with a max length externally of 3m and a fall of 45mm/m.  Also the in-built trap is 200mm capacity and 140mm depth as you suggested.

Cheers again

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

Ok cheers - will get it swapped out after lockdown.  Interestingly I've just found the installation instructions for the boiler and they suggest 19mm internal and 22mm external with a max length externally of 3m and a fall of 45mm/m.  Also the in-built trap is 200mm capacity and 140mm depth as you suggested.

Cheers again

surprised they say that tbh. Usually manufacturers always say upsize external to 32mm atleast to help against freezing. 

its still good practice though and certainly will help. 

i wouldn't ever install a boiler with overflow pipe externally. I’d get a call back every other week in Jan/Feb in Buxton 😂

• Like 2

Looks like more redundancies coming at our place over the next few weeks...   Enough said!

I don't really have a problem with people doing anything as long as they can manage the social distancing.

I'm not convinced about facemasks since many people don't know how to wear them.

https://metro.co.uk/video/american-woman-cuts-hole-face-mask-make-easier-breathe-2164644/

Same for gloves, people seem to think they are magic talismans that ward off bugs. I've seen plenty of people wearing gloves do shopping then start scratching their faces still wearing the gloves (inc my own father)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aspman said:

I'm not convinced about facemasks since many people don't know how to wear them.

I agree, I'm amazed how many people you see on news items with the mask not covering their nose, even some NHS people who should know better.

they also dont know how to take off the gloves properly.. and flounder, get them everywhere and then handle them 🤦‍♂️

and yeah, that dope cutting the mask sums up alot of stuff...

Self self righteous people. 

Unfortunately I have to drive down a farm track that doubles as a public footpath to get to my house, the country is in lock down so of course the world and his wife is out and its busy. 

Coming back from the doctors a group of people (not local to the area) stood in the middle of said road to try and stop me passing. I put the window down and politely (my 5 year old is sat next to me) ask them to move, only to be met with foul mouthed replies saying how I'm shouldn't be driving on this ****ing road. There's just no need for it. 

• Sad 1