What annoyed you today?

Aspman

Flippin' boiler condensate pump decided to throw a wobbly last night (well, about half one this morning). It kept pumping for no reason so I had to disconnect it and put the condensation pipe into a bucket as a temp fix.
Called the boiler guy at seven and got a new pump installed by eleven so not too bad. Old pump was *very* old and beyond being serviceable.
Anyway, shiny new pump fitted. 

IMG_20211214_122913708.jpg

• Like 1

Is that because an external condensate drin could not be fitted? It drains to a reservoir & when full it is pumped to a n internal drain?

If so it sounds like it could also be used for a mains pressure hot water cylinder installed in a basement below the level of the drains.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Is that because an external condensate drin could not be fitted? It drains to a reservoir & when full it is pumped to a n internal drain?

If so it sounds like it could also be used for a mains pressure hot water cylinder installed in a basement below the level of the drains.

Yes, it's for the condensate. When the reservoir is full it's pumped to a Saniflo type pump and onwards into the main drain.
Yes, the boiler is in the cellar so below the level of the drain. 

• Like 1

After being broken for a month, finally picked my car up from trusted mechanic this evening... 

Having a little playtime on my way home, a spirited roundabout exit produced a solid ASR telltale on the dash... pfffff...

ASR.jpg

That happens to me if I drive the inside wheels over certain roundabouts around here that resemble race track chicanes, it always goes out after switching off.

It's just a wagging finger for your exuberance!

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

That happens to me if I drive the inside wheels over certain roundabouts around here that resemble race track chicanes, it always goes out after switching off.

It's just a wagging finger for your exuberance!

It didn't switch off. 

It switched the eml on and produced a code for the MAF. 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Gutted for you. I hope you get that fixed. :)

Ordered a new MAF today, should be here tomorrow.. it's not completely fubar but it is, apparently, well on its way.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

Going to the Trafford centre (very briefly) and seeing countless numbers of people not wearing masks 

We get a lot of tourists here and the amount of them that never social distanced or had masks on was unbelievable. We also have a lot of second home owners.

• Like 1

Going to hospital for a scan and seeing a tailback from a broken down truck. Returning, and discovering that said tailback was now 3.35km of nose to tail traffic on a dual cabbageway (the only way from here to Glasgow).

• Sad 2

54 minutes ago, Lynn67 said:

We get a lot of tourists here and the amount of them that never social distanced or had masks on was unbelievable. We also have a lot of second home owners.

At least the secondhome owners won't be around infecting everyone. Small mercy I suppose 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

At least the secondhome owners won't be around infecting everyone. Small mercy I suppose 

In the first lockdown they all piled up here from London and were in our shops emptying the shelves and boasting about having just come up from London and they wondered why the locals were telling them to bugger off back there as they weren't welcome.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

My earphones are in the process of packing in, they're sending signals to tell the music to stop on the laptop any time I move slightly. :rolleyes:

... new set it'll be then.

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
Correcting idiocy.

On 15/12/2021 at 23:13, Lady Elanore said:

On 15/12/2021 at 23:45, Lynn67 said:

In the first lockdown they all piled up here from London and were in our shops emptying the shelves and boasting about having just come up from London and they wondered why the locals were telling them to bugger off back there as they weren't welcome.

@Lynn67 How many of the MP's did you recognise?............ Lol.

• Haha 1

Nottingham City Council.........

Sending out their employees or contractors to cut the grass, ffs.

What a chuffng mess that the grass / mud is now in.

Muppets. Kermit had more intelligence than whoever's decision this was.

I'm waiting for them sending out the road repair team just in time for the freezing weather to make short work of nackering it up again.

• Like 2

Who on earth sends out the grass cutters after October?! Used to work on the Council Gardening team down in Essex. Most cutting was March to October unless there had been complaints/exceptional circumstances. Though there was one workaholic who would drag his crew out to cut the grass even in torrential rain:x

• Like 1

I've been spending quite a bit of time recently working on bringing my folks' house up to scratch so we can ultimately sell it.  For various reasons it stood unlived-in for 10 years and is still full of their effects so the job is taking a while.

The house is a 1930s semi and - as I understand was the practice at the time - the floor support beams overlap where they meet on the central shared wall, creating airways between the underfloor spaces. 

And now the cause of the annoyance; the family living next door has an irregular but frequent habit of partaking of certain "herbal" tobaccos which smell very strong and quite distinctively - and that smell makes its way via the party wall airways into this house and stinks it out.

I'm not against the consumption of herbals per se but as a non-smoker I find the smell unpleasant and at times nauseating.  It's also a problem when my wife is here as it sets off her asthma.

I've tried previously to bring another issue the their attention (gently and politely) but got nowhere.  I don't want to start a neighbour war by involving officialdom as I don't want to create a negative legacy for whoever buys the house in the future.

All i can realistically do is "bear it with equanimity" but I just felt the need to blow off a little steam.

</rant>

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Have you and/or they adopted that daft (to me) practice of having bare sanded & waxed floorboards on the upper floors?

You probably have removed the old upstairs carpets for the renovation, replacing them with new fitted carpet over underlay & gripper should drastically reduce the air movement.

There is nothing next door could do other than abstain from their habit or fit the same floorcoverings themselves.

I had a renter doing the same, it is a strictly no smoking building and worse still opposite him on the landing, the front doors less than 1.5m apart was a 15 year old student renter who I was responsable for.

I had to fit new TV's as the transmissions moved from digital to HD only (old ones supposedly "HD ready" and only 18 months old), he gave me permission to go in and do it while he was at work, on the table in plain view not even hidden was his stash which was far more than needed for personal consumption & there had been lots of visits from unsavoury characters.

So I took it to the Gendarmerie for them to destroy and hopefully pull in and scare the tenant, to my surprise they refused to do so, after some negotiation with the Chef de Brigade he agreed to accept my invitation to come to the hôtel to check my registre d'accueil and to cross check it against the identity papers of the renters which they have the right to do at any time and at one time would do all too vigourously.

They never did come but my tipping off the renter had the desired effect and he did a moonlight flit.

• Haha 2

I don’t believe it…..

Stopped an old dear from backing her tangerine mini into my car yesterday whilst she was parallel parking in front of me with a well timed “Oi”, she was less than 10mm from the front of my car when she stopped, and seemed most unconcerned and bumbled off mumbling something about a prescription (sadly not for her eyes), she had unrestricted access to the front of her car so no need to keep backing up but sadly no parking sensors at the rear, she must of had difficulty seeing my tiny Kodiaq looming large filling her rear view mirrors.

Felt somewhat relieved that I’d prevented some parking unpleasantness (I’m sure she’s have tootled off oblivious), but this morning I looked at SWMBO Yeti and some kind person (sometime this week - thanks to dark evenings and mornings) we presume in the NHS hospital staff car park where she works, has left her an early Christmas present by reshaping the rear near side door with their bumper right on the door crease / stone guard (palm size dent). I know a fantastic PDR guy who thinks he can get it back out, but he told me  it’s really tricky. Checked the Nextbase dash cam just in case I could identify the silver transgressor (kindly left some paint behind) - and it had filled the SD card with “protected” files so hadn’t been recording for the last month - It only had one job to do😡

I try to keep the cars nice and park away from others, so does my better half, but it’s not always possible.

I know there’s lots more serious things to worry about (we certainly do have) but it’s really annoying how little respect some people have for others property.

I’m beginning to feel a bit like Victor Meldrew………..

Hanlon’s razor - “never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity”

Rant over.

• Sad 2
  • Groan 1

People not wanting to pay to look after their car, then moan when more is charged when things don’t exactly go to plan because of their cheapness :wall:

This was yesterday, but I’m sure I can be forgiven for posting it today 😆

79A76BDA-443A-4A65-8C3A-3328DD9EACA0.jpeg

• Sad 2

21 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Crikey, how did you manage to remove the remains?

Had someone used engine cleaner?

These had been in an old Peugeot for about 7 years 🙈

In the end I had to knock in a large torx socket to get the remains out.