What annoyed you today?

Aspman

They seem to be talking about trees and green stuff (plants, not EVs) in the area. Banksy does start a lot of conversations, so his work may reap rewards. 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

Having to pay 360€ for 2 new Dunlop tyres, 1 other rotated, here in France, Goodyear Vectors were on all 4 corners, 2 slashed.

They're not even the equivalent of the Vectors and they put the new ones on the front just to top it off....I can at least get home now.

• Sad 5
  • Groan 1

French tyre fitters are always a painfull and frustrating rip off experience I'm afraid.

I always used to buy part worns in the UK but dont go back any more, all 4 of my tyres are now pretty much Kojaks, I have held on to the very last moment to source new, getting tyres on the internet is an OK experience but the fitting.................

I have a manual tyre changer which whilst a big work out was OK for all my trailer tyres but I was loath to use it on the alloys, I modified it to take a Duckbill head from a pro machine but it didn't work out as planned and needs more fabrication work, I'm going to do it and fit the new tyres which I must order soon even if it damages the alloys.

• Like 1

I've been having some extra solar panels & an additional battery installed in our house over this last last week.

The scaffolding is up until the end of this week & today was the day for the Pigeon protection guy to do his stuff on the newly fitted solar panels &, the electricians were here to fit the extra battery, wire up the extra roof panels & re-commission the system. The existing inverter already has 2 strings of 5 panels each connected to it so these needed to be re-wired into a single string of 10 which would allow the new 5 panels to be added to the 2nd string connection - if you get my drift.

The Pigeon guy did his job OK & the battery got fitted & re-commissioned but, the extra roof panels didn't get wired up because the electricians weren't told about that part of the job. They thought they were just fitting a battery :wall:

Various calls were made but nothing was resolved as the electricians had another job to go to.

So, after firing off an "angry from Mayfair" type e-mail I'm now waiting for my solar provider to advise when I can expect the panels to get wired in.   

Not happy.

To add insult to injury the final invoice has just arrived but they can go Whistle Dixie 🖕because that ain't getting paid until all the work is done. 

• Sad 5
  • Groan 1

I wish I had a job where if the boss turned up we could all start banging on tables he'd be so scared that he said 'OK lads, take the next week off' just to appease us and still get paid for the job we are supposed to be doing but aren't. And claiming expenses. 

???????????????

Presumably you are referring to something in your news, could you please say what it is?

14 hours ago, J.R. said:

???????????????

Presumably you are referring to something in your news, could you please say what it is?

UK politics, John. 

I am not clairvoyant.

14 hours ago, J.R. said:

could you please say what it is?

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

I am not clairvoyant.

Sunak was asked to address the 1922 committee. They were all banging the desks for an extended period which is normally a sign of disapproval. 

He then basically told them that they don't have to attend Parliament next week to do their jobs as MPs 

This is because Sunak is trying to delay scrutiny on the Rwanda bill until after the Easter recess. 

You might find it boring but I see it as yet another attempt by the Tories to avoid accountability and another attack on democracy. 

Before awarding me a reaction remember, you asked. 

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Sunak was asked to address the 1922 committee. They were all banging the desks which is normally a sign of disapproval. 

Errrr...   I think you got that backwards... 

• What is the historic 1922 Committee?

The committee of all backbench Conservative MPs, also known as "the '22" meets weekly when the House of Commons is sitting.

When the party is in opposition, frontbenchers are allowed to attend, although the leader cannot.

Members are said to bang their desks in approval when the chief arrives, when the party in in government and the leader attends.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

Errrr...   I think you got that backwards... 

• What is the historic 1922 Committee?

The committee of all backbench Conservative MPs, also known as "the '22" meets weekly when the House of Commons is sitting.

When the party is in opposition, frontbenchers are allowed to attend, although the leader cannot.

Members are said to bang their desks in approval when the chief arrives, when the party in in government and the leader attends.

FTR I was asked what annoyed me today which lead to my being questioned hence my explanation below and above. I was happy to leave it at my reply to John but further interrogation was requested. 

Of course I've got it 'backwards' Perhaps if you want to debate me in Parliamentary issues perhaps learn a bit more about Parliamentary issues.

Remember, I've been doing this for years now and I've a background in media studies and politics and civics from way before I joined wires for a living. I can guarantee you I follow the political psychodrama of the UK more closely than you; that's undeniable.

Here's the Tory Spectator's Tory fan girl Katy Balls

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/inside-sunaks-showdown-with-tory-mps/ 

Sunak's in his John Major phase of reality only he's not realised it yet.

We both know where it all started and in case you're in any doubt, there's a great very recent video of former Tory leader Chris Patten doing the rounds you might be interested in watching. 

I've found it and added it. Don't you find it strange how so many former Tory grandees are all so opposed to the current Tory party? It's almost as if the current Tory party is no longer the Tory party isn't it. Hijacked by the lunatics who have to stay a little bit to the left of the even more right wing Reform loons to appeal to the Tory base. 

If you want to discuss methods of road construction or other civil engineering matters then I will bow to your knowledge on such matters and thank you. Possibly.

Screenshot_20240323-015051.thumb.png.9f277555ae69f7b609a022bb85b4aa71.png

Edited by @Lee
  • Groan 1

8 hours ago, @Lee said:

FTR I was asked what annoyed me today which lead to my being questioned hence my explanation below and above. I was happy to leave it at my reply to John but further interrogation was requested. 

Of course I've got it 'backwards' Perhaps if you want to debate me in Parliamentary issues perhaps learn a bit more about Parliamentary issues.

Remember, I've been doing this for years now and I've a background in media studies and politics and civics from way before I joined wires for a living. I can guarantee you I follow the political psychodrama of the UK more closely than you; that's undeniable.

Here's the Tory Spectator's Tory fan girl Katy Balls

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/inside-sunaks-showdown-with-tory-mps/ 

Sunak's in his John Major phase of reality only he's not realised it yet.

We both know where it all started and in case you're in any doubt, there's a great very recent video of former Tory leader Chris Patten doing the rounds you might be interested in watching. 

I've found it and added it. Don't you find it strange how so many former Tory grandees are all so opposed to the current Tory party? It's almost as if the current Tory party is no longer the Tory party isn't it. Hijacked by the lunatics who have to stay a little bit to the left of the even more right wing Reform loons to appeal to the Tory base. 

If you want to discuss methods of road construction or other civil engineering matters then I will bow to your knowledge on such matters and thank you. Possibly.

Screenshot_20240323-015051.thumb.png.9f277555ae69f7b609a022bb85b4aa71.png

No need to get your knickers in a twist...   I was simply pointing out that banging desks is usually a sign of approval by all accounts... 

No need to go off on a rant as I couldn't care less about the rest as we can do nothing about it until the next election where the UK will get to vote...   Sheesh!

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

Anyhow...   Back on topic...

Driving to Lancaster last night and the number of badly aligned headlights coming the other way, along with one eyes cars with one headlight not working and even a mini on the motorway with no lights on at all!!!!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Anyhow...   Back on topic...

Driving to Lancaster last night and the number of badly aligned headlights coming the other way, along with one eyes cars with one headlight not working and even a mini on the motorway with no lights on at all!!!!

I've taken to using flip-up shooters' lenses - yellow tint - when challenged by oncoming out-of-alignment headlights.  The slight loss of dark vision is more than made up for by the reduction of glare.  Five squid on aliexpress ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, @Lee said:

You might find it boring but I see it as yet another attempt by the Tories to avoid accountability and another attack on democracy. 

Before awarding me a reaction remember, you asked. 

I did ask and you did eventually explain, I did not find it boring which was why I asked the second time by then knowing it was UK politics (it was a high probability), I awarded you the appropriate reaction.

• Like 1

Lenovo Chromebook Three has died. Only bought it in November 2021 and hardly used it. 

Followed the Google reinstall bumpf to the letter but no joy.

Looked online and there's a load of Lenovo Chromebook users been having problems.

I won't be buying another Chromebook that's for sure. It's a £380 paperweight now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @Lee said:

Lenovo Chromebook Three has died. Only bought it in November 2021 and hardly used it. 

Looked online and there's a load of Lenovo Chromebook users been having problems.

I won't be buying another Chromebook that's for sure. It's a £380 paperweight now. 

its a lenovo... ive had 2, 1 free from uni that survived about 5 yrs of not very heavy usage, and i still had to replace the fan assembly after 18months..

the other was my last laptop from work. i spent 3 of the 5 yrs i had that thing carrying around a bt keyboard and mouse because the on board stopped working and i couldnt spend weeks waiting for IT to sort it. 

i also went in to work one day and a manager asked me was i still handy with computers? (they knew i had been a builder in my teenage yrs from previous hardware issues i looked after.. im the office jack of all trades) IT had sent her a new fan assembly for her lenovo and had no idea when they could get a tech down to replace it. I did it with my swiss army knife in 20mins.

and.. missus mac was given one in work 18months ago when her 2nd surface pro bit the dust in under 15 months. it just randomly turns itself off at least once a week for no reason and gives no errors or messages when it restarts.

they. are. ****e.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, @Lee said:

‘Thanks’ for that - my son just bought one 🙄

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, SteveTheElder said:

‘Thanks’ for that - my son just bought one 🙄

is he still in the 14 days throw it back a them a refund period??

• Like 1