What annoyed you today?

Aspman

@Paws4ThotThat would be ECW (Eastern Coach Works) that used to be Lowestoft before they closed. IMO on of the very finest around, making good strong and durable bodies without all the flashiness of other coachworks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MikeTheThinker said:

So, today at the BatCave (my parents' old house where I'm temporarily ensconced whilst our domicile is being repaired following a loft pipe burst last Winter) on "Involuntary Plumbers 'R Us" we tackle the spontaneous appearance of water from the dining room ceiling, fortuitously spotted before it had run too long (I heard it dripping and investigated). Rush upstairs and check for sounds of running or escaping water - all quiet. Set the heating stat to 'frost' to stop the circulating pump pressurising the leak and the dripping slowed to a stop.

Remembered that the central heating butchers/installers did some mucking about in that approximate area to pipe up the new bathroom radiator so set off on a marathon shuffle and clear to gain access to the candidate floor area upstairs. Having marked out the rectangle around the leak area hacked through one layer of carpet, one layer of now very hard ancient lino, one layer of amorphous rubber/cork (used to be corked rubber sheet) - only to find the nice gentleman who cut the floorboards didn't make two cuts, just one so now I have to follow the floor covering (and collected furnishings and household paraphernalia) out to the front wall so I can lift the floorboards for inspection. If I had by vibratool here I'd have made another cut but I don't so I didn't.

If I wasn't so knackered I might consider the irony of the situation but as it is I've had enough excitement for the evening so off to bed and will resume operations in the morning.

Been there done that in my mums house a few years ago. House was empty (Mum in car home) & sister & I were visiting her & the house once a week. Unbeknown to me my sister had turned off the heating in the house to "save gas". Well that didn't turn out well because we had a cold snap & a pipe in the loft sprang a leak that went undetected for 5 days. Needless to say the damage was extensive. Battle with insurance company ensued who wriggled hard but caved in the end. 

Oscillating multi tools are great bits of kit. I have a corded & battery version. Not used every day but when you need one, you need one.

Hope you find the source of the leak & get it fixed today.🤞

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Jeebus that Sky Stream ad's annoying a/f 

It's the AA one that grinds my teeth. It's been running since before Christmas!! 

Some say that's its done it's job if we are talking about it but with me it has the opposite effect. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

It's the AA one that grinds my teeth. It's been running since before Christmas!! 

Some say that's its done it's job if we are talking about it but with me it has the opposite effect. 

The bank robbery one? Yeah 🥱 

Pretty sure ads were way better in the 80s and 90s

• Like 2

On 10/03/2024 at 00:35, mac11irl said:

sometimes i think comes down to luck...

I never drain the fuel from my B&S powered Mountfield mower. 5ltrs of unleaded will last me a season, usually with a bit left over which gets used in the first few cuts of the next year.

In twenty years it's had one oil change and one new drive belt.  

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Its the 2 strokes that are really problematic, its damned if you do, damned if you dont, leaving 2 stroke fuel in the tank is not so bad but if in the carburettor it will evaporate leaving the oil to gum things up, if you run it dry meaning in most cases draining the tank first then the diaphragms harden and split as can the priming bulbs.

No matter which approach I take I end up doing carb rebuilds on most of my 2 stroke stuff every spring, the 4 stroke and diesel stuff goes on for decades and often has to cope with misfuelling I have so many jerrycans of 3 petrol, diesel and 2 stroke melange plus the E85 and E85 mixes I have played with in the Chinese Diesel Heater, they should get gradually dosed into the tractor but mistakes are frequent.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 3

The topic title is 'What annoyed you today' so here goes;

I've been trying to find a way to put this particular annoyance across for a few days now and tbh I'm still struggling.

But I find it beyond annoying that a Tory donor to the tune of a £10 million donation to the Tory party can say that a democratically elected MP makes him want to 'hate all black women' and that she 'should be shot' it takes so long for the party he's donated to to actually, finally, call his comments racist. There was absolutely no reason for the delay and they should return his donation by way of gifting it to appropriate charities of Diane Abbott's choosing. 

That the Speaker of the House Sir Lindsay Hoyle blatantly ignored her repeated requests to speak speaks volumes about how low political discourse has fallen in the HoC. His excuse of running out of time was also inexcusable IMO. The whole story is shameful beyond words and throws the whole country in a bad light. 

If a person of any other colour or faith had made such remarks there would be righteous outrage from the right leaning press who are another stain on the UK. Owned by non dom's influencing British voters from outside not paying a penny in tax and on to their next divorce and marriage in their mid nineties. 

In recent memory two MPs on opposite sides have been murdered and this kind of extremist talk must stop be it from whichever side of the political spectrum you may find yourself. 

FWIW I can point to the exact date this rot set in. 

Anyway, that's my 'annoyed of the day done'. 

I'm not interested in any kind of political discussion on this. It's my annoyance and the topic has the # rant therapy which is what that was. My rant. 

Edited by @Lee
A few typos cleared up and some extra content added.
  • Love it! 1

It shows that they (Tories) care more about money then doing the right thing and it shows how much the media are aligned with them, you cannot trust anybody any more to do the right thing, corruption is rife and the fish rots from the head. 

• Like 2

yesterday whilst car was parked up on the street whilst visiting family some little scrote did this.

Fortunately its not deep and I'm hoping some T-Cut coloured restorer might be enough

No description available.

• Sad 5

meanwhile with my pedant hat on  why not just say "within 6 working days?" (unrelated to the above before anyone asks)

Although working on the presumption that the business hours are the same as Lines open then thats 9 business hours per day which is 5.3 working days so I presume they actually mean 5 working days  ;o)

Which is fine :)

image.png.9b513676ec7c453ed08986a6752b5e9d.png

image.png.44b871fa841719b7e9f6d3f05f54052d.png

Edited by Winston_Woof
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

yesterday whilst car was parked up on the street whilst visiting family some little scrote did this.

Fortunately its not deep and I'm hoping some T-Cut coloured restorer might be enough

No description available.

I had similar in a public car park in the Swift recently...   Somebody obviously caught the rear corner of the bumper while parking in or leaving the space next to it.  It's not a bad scratch and has mostly polished out but it's enough to annoy me

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, skomaz said:

I had similar in a public car park in the Swift recently...   Somebody obviously caught the rear corner of the bumper while parking in or leaving the space next to it.  It's not a bad scratch and has mostly polished out but it's enough to annoy me

sadly this feels more "deliberate" 😞

I was parked pretty much where the BMC is in this google streetview image with pretty much the same gaps to cars in front/behind mine and the same cars were there when I left.

image.thumb.png.51b10be11239db45af45e8560053a120.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

I've just ordered some touch up paint for two scratches on my roof! Been meaning to do this ever since I got the car but due to the location I keep forgetting about them. Presumably previous owner was careless removing stuff from the roof rack / bars. Touch up & machine cut & polish should do the job good enough to pass muster. 

I've also got a couple of stone chips that need touch in as well. Waiting for warmer weather before I tackle them. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

sadly this feels more "deliberate"

Someone cutting through on a bicycle and not paying enough attention?

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

Someone cutting through on a bicycle and not paying enough attention?

If the car was parked with boot near that path, a cycle could have done it dropping off the kerb as it continued across the road?

Might polish out with wax

• Like 1

Bike was my immediate thought, probably a kid pulling a wheelie and trying to ride down the kerb through a narrow gap between parked cars at the same and coming to grief, never underestimate the stupidity of a teenager, I ran straight into the back of a parked van while at Vmax and looking down at the rear derailleurs, probably making fake race engine gearchange sounds, I knocked myself unconscious, wrecked my bike and put a huge dent in the back door of the van.

Re touch up paint, most scratches that one included are simply the clear coat that it scuffed, using coloured touch up paint will stand out a mile, the scratch needs to be gradually flatted and polished going down through the grades of wet n dry and polishing compounds trying to avoid rubbing through to the base coat, if very deep then backfill with 2 pack clear coat applied with a toothpick when it has thickened before allowing to cure then flatting.

This...

Shot from about 50m away, so the quality isn't great. I was also trying to hide from the lookout man. Although they were on the other side of the river, they could have simply crossed the bridge they were defacing if they wanted to pursue me.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I thought the latest Banksy was awful and the building owner should be suing, aside from the stencilled artist figure all he has done is shot a jet of paint up the wall randomly from a pressurised container and it has run all down the wall even across the wall of the adjacent building.

Its exactly what the Just Stop Oil protestors do and they rightly get prosecuted, even with the photos taken from the optimal angle it looks rubbish, from any other angle it will look like vandalism.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I thought the latest Banksy was awful and the building owner should be suing, aside from the stencilled artist figure all he has done is shot a jet of paint up the wall randomly from a pressurised container and it has run all down the wall even across the wall of the adjacent building.

Its exactly what the Just Stop Oil protestors do and they rightly get prosecuted, even with the photos taken from the optimal angle it looks rubbish, from any other angle it will look like vandalism.

However given the "allure" of Banksy then maybe the building owner won't sue, even if the work is "artistically challenging"

But yes , it's a civil matter :)

I would keep the stencilled artist and get him to pay to either paint the rest of the building or preferably remove the paint.

He should be made to do community service removing tags from bridges!!!