What annoyed you today?

Aspman

50 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

is he still in the 14 days throw it back a them a refund period??

Damn. At least his will be in warranty for one or two years. 

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

they. are. ****e.

I had one as a work laptop with BT/Openreach but they locked them down tigh Re updates from Lenovo and I never had a problem with it. That was a ThinkPad.

Apparently Lenovo have gone downhill in recent years.

It's put me off Lenovo and Chromebooks tbh.

I know @Rooted has one from his screenshots but which brand I couldn't tell you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, @Lee said:

Lenovo Chromebook Three has died. Only bought it in November 2021 and hardly used it. 

Followed the Google reinstall bumpf to the letter but no joy.

Looked online and there's a load of Lenovo Chromebook users been having problems.

I won't be buying another Chromebook that's for sure. It's a £380 paperweight now. 

Correct if I'm wrong, but weren't they once part of IBM and that is where they had a good reputation, but now, I think that they are a Chinese owned company and since that point onwards they have become just pure rubbish?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Graham Butcher said:

Correct if I'm wrong, but weren't they once part of IBM and that is where they had a good reputation, but now, I think that they are a Chinese owned company and since that point onwards they have become just pure rubbish?

Lenovo bought IBMs puter arm years ago. 

I seem to remember IBM kept a stake in it but no idea if that's still the case.

Oh, its that way round then, I knew there was some sort of tie up with IBM and that the IBM Thinkpad had quite a good name and some people swear by them (or is it at them 😄).

• Like 1

@Lee I have 3 Chromebooks i use. Acer. Also a couple of Tablets that are kept charged and can be used in emergencies which never seem to actually happen. 

The first 2 HP Chromebooks i had and still have i was locked out of because the Hacking did get to them. 

(They are in a cupboard to maybe give to @AnnoyingPentium sometime if he wants them, and maybe i can trust him to wipe whatever there is on them.) 

(PS, just looked and one Chromebook i have sitting that i use to download pictures to is a HP. or is that upload!)

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, @Lee said:

Lenovo bought IBMs puter arm years ago. 

I seem to remember IBM kept a stake in it but no idea if that's still the case.

I think they sold out entirely in the end.

My Uncle used to work for them at the factory in Greenock. Also where my IBM Thinkpad 600E came from.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I have my suspicions it might be hard to kill.

Couple of drops of SuperGlue into the sounder; that'll deal with the noise element :)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

Couple of drops of SuperGlue into the sounder; that'll deal with the noise element :)

I'm currently at the quad M134 minigun level, but am hoping to come down to superglue level in a millennia or two :D

• Love it! 1

oh how i loathe the noisey toys...

in particualr so many of the VTech ones that have a few little option rhymes to cycle through (toot toot drivers for example) because more than 50% of said rhymes dont fit their own beat properly. theres a syllable extra or short so it doent sound right and so doesnt end properly and they become infuriating ear worms 🤬

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

I have my suspicions it might be hard to kill.  As in like a T800 level of hard to kill

Tata Steel at Port Talbot.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Robjon said:

A survey commissioned by the BBC finds nearly 1 in 5 teachers in England has been hit by a pupil this year. While violence of this nature is obviously unacceptable, the survey reminded me of the extent to which things have changed over the last fifty years. During my time at school, something like 1 in 5 pupils had been hit by a teacher.

Oh yes.

Like many of my era I was on the receiving end of some teacher "correction" on a few occasions.

Get caught chewing gum & the gum was pushed into you hair needing scissors to cut it out.

Get caught misbehaving in PE & you got a slipper with a golf ball in the end of it across your backside. One blue bruise from the slipper & a black one from the golf ball. 

Come back clean from a cross country run & you got rolled in field cow pats.

Misbehave on a cross country run outside of the school & you got 6 of the best - because it got the school a bad name!

Back chat in an RI lesson & you got a ruler across the knuckles - from the female teacher. 

Get caught smoking & your fags were confiscated (for the teachers to smoke in their staff room) & you got detention for 2 weeks.

Ears & noses were regularly pulled as well.

This was only for the boys. The girls got a much easier ride.

Not once did we think of trying to hit our teachers. The only way of exacting some revenge was on the Rugby pitch during the annual teachers vs 1st 15 pupil Rugby match. 😉🏉 

All of this was in a newly created 3,000 pupil Comprehensive School in North London in 1967-72 which was created from merged Secondary Modern & Grammar schools.

The Secondary modern teachers were more "hip" with leather elbow patch jackets & track suits. PE teachers in particular (I'm looking at you Mr. Barber) had a more nasty streak.

The ex Grammar School teachers wore capes & mortar boards, were far more strict & didn't take any back chat from anyone.

The good old days eh!! 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Not once did we think of trying to hit our teachers. 

Oh I thought of it. Believe me... many times I thought of it! 

And the one kid who did fight back following a particularly violent attack by a teacher got expelled for his actions.

The Happiest Days of our Lives (Roger Waters).

• Like 2

What the 🤬 is happening with our GP system nowadays. I needed to make an appointment for a routine diabetes review so you now have to go on-line, fill in your details, tick what I’m wanting from a drop-down list and await a response. Message subsequently received, an appointment’s been made, which the surgery hope is convenient. Prior to that review I’ll need a blood test which I have to book separately with the phlebotomy service and having done that I have to message the surgery again asking them to ensure the appropriate blood requests form is made available beforehand. Although the blood test will be at the surgery the clinician can’t arrange for the form on my behalf 🤔

Also need to speak to a GP about my osteoarthritis so yes, I need to complete yet another (but different) on-line request form which the surgery will review over the next two days and get back to me.

In the old days, pre-Covid, I’d have telephoned surgery, spoken to a receptionist and arranged all four items inside a five minute conversation.

Is it any wonder there’s so many unnecessary trips made to A&E

• Sad 5

33 minutes ago, BTandSid said:

What the 🤬 is happening with our GP system nowadays. I needed to make an appointment for a routine diabetes review so you now have to go on-line, fill in your details, tick what I’m wanting from a drop-down list and await a response. Message subsequently received, an appointment’s been made, which the surgery hope is convenient. Prior to that review I’ll need a blood test which I have to book separately with the phlebotomy service and having done that I have to message the surgery again asking them to ensure the appropriate blood requests form is made available beforehand. Although the blood test will be at the surgery the clinician can’t arrange for the form on my behalf 🤔

Also need to speak to a GP about my osteoarthritis so yes, I need to complete yet another (but different) on-line request form which the surgery will review over the next two days and get back to me.

In the old days, pre-Covid, I’d have telephoned surgery, spoken to a receptionist and arranged all four items inside a five minute conversation.

Is it any wonder there’s so many unnecessary trips made to A&E

Yep. Similar at our local health centre. Overloaded with too many patients so they introduced a load of computer mumbo jumbo which anyone over a certain age cannot understand or even access.

I got a text a few weeks ago to make an appointment for a blood test, then a separate appointment for a lung scan in a mobile tractor unit parked in an Asda carpark, & a request to take down a urine sample to reception. All this is on top of my 3 monthly AAA scan.

If I want to find out the results of all these tests I have to go online & navigate the system. No point trying to ring & speak to anyone because when you ring you are No54 or higher in the que:wall:   

@BTandSid @Colin170CR I've literally spoken to my GP once in the last 2 years despite having chronic kidney failure. That once was to say "hello" when they were doing a home visit for my Mum. Kudos to my consultant nephrologist for this not mattering more.

the story of how this was broken confirms for me that girls are definitely easier than boys up to a certain age, older than what my 2 are...

20240404_185258.thumb.jpg.d624454265fe30afd732c6f3a625b71a.jpg

Spud jr locked Sr into their shed this afternoon.. after a couple of minutes shouting to no avail, sr (maybe slightly panicked) took the child size sweeping brush that was in the shed and used it to smash the window out 🤦🤬

so guess who had to spend 40mins removing all the siliconed in broken glass from the frame and then hoovering all the glass out of the shed. can't clean up outside it properly as its currently pi55ing rain. and the water would kill the vacuum cleaner, so i have that to look forward to tomorrow if it dried up a bit after tonight's dark o clock shift at work..

Edited by mac11irl
pic added..
  • Sad 2
  • Groan 1