What annoyed you today?

Aspman

I was annoyed by nearly falling for what I think is called a parcel delivery scam, I had read about it somewhere where people receive a cheap unordered item from a Chinese seller, its to do with them building up a feedback profile, perhaps someone could explain it if they know.

This is what happened to me, I am awaiting a thermostat from a seller in the USA, cost $50, postman arrived with a package saying I had €9 of taxes to pay, that seemed about right to me for TVA on $50 but in hindsight it would be higher as La Poste add on an admin charge.

I paid the guy and took the package which if it was the thermostat must have been wrapped in protective foam or cloth, then I saw it had come from China, maybe the guy was having them manufactured there and shipped direct, then I saw that the customs declaration value was $5, maybe they put the minimum knowing what robbers La Poste are.

Then I saw the description was "une écharpe"  a scarf :sad: and that is exactly what it felt like, by that time Facteur Fred's EV was whirring its way down the road, I sprinted after him and caught up at his next delivery, he gave me my money back 👍

I still dont know what the scam is but having tracked my real package it has left the USA on a cargo plane for Europe & not showing as delivered.

I also fell for a scam buying some running shoes last month, not cheap but a no longer manufactured pair hard to find, the site had the proper internet certification thingy but I smelt a rat when the payment converted to dollars to some outfit in Eastern Europe, next time I visited the site my browser brought up a security alert and warning, shame it didn't do it the first time, Google.fr searches show that others have been scammed in the same way.

I paid by Visa so should be able to raise a Visa Chargeback case but getting any French bank to initiate it is nigh on impossible, they all claim it does not exist.

The first time ever I have been properly scammed on the internet, thankfully not for a lot of money.

• Sad 4

Why don't you write a list of who you would bestow the honour on instead of the negativity, you have 36 hours remaining to give it consideration.

I agree with the sentiment that being better at a sport or singing better than others should not in itself be worthy of an honour, the same goes for any celeb although all of these people could spend a lifetime exploiting their fame for the benefit of charities which would be worthy, I dont recognise most of the names above so I suspect they havn't.

Lee, why did you include David Frost?

13 hours ago, J.R. said:

I was annoyed by nearly falling for what I think is called a parcel delivery scam, I had read about it somewhere where people receive a cheap unordered item from a Chinese seller, its to do with them building up a feedback profile, perhaps someone could explain it if they know.

This is what happened to me, I am awaiting a thermostat from a seller in the USA, cost $50, postman arrived with a package saying I had €9 of taxes to pay, that seemed about right to me for TVA on $50 but in hindsight it would be higher as La Poste add on an admin charge.

I paid the guy and took the package which if it was the thermostat must have been wrapped in protective foam or cloth, then I saw it had come from China, maybe the guy was having them manufactured there and shipped direct, then I saw that the customs declaration value was $5, maybe they put the minimum knowing what robbers La Poste are.

Then I saw the description was "une écharpe"  a scarf :sad: and that is exactly what it felt like, by that time Facteur Fred's EV was whirring its way down the road, I sprinted after him and caught up at his next delivery, he gave me my money back 👍

I still dont know what the scam is but having tracked my real package it has left the USA on a cargo plane for Europe & not showing as delivered.

I also fell for a scam buying some running shoes last month, not cheap but a no longer manufactured pair hard to find, the site had the proper internet certification thingy but I smelt a rat when the payment converted to dollars to some outfit in Eastern Europe, next time I visited the site my browser brought up a security alert and warning, shame it didn't do it the first time, Google.fr searches show that others have been scammed in the same way.

I paid by Visa so should be able to raise a Visa Chargeback case but getting any French bank to initiate it is nigh on impossible, they all claim it does not exist.

The first time ever I have been properly scammed on the internet, thankfully not for a lot of money.

Value for customs duty, for EU and UK, is the cost of goods plus carriage plus insurance and then the ad valorem duty rate on those goods.  Goods of low value are just charged the vat/tva/get rate and no customs duty up to a certain monetary value. Vat/tva is charged on all the above and inland freight to known point of delivery, Brittany or wherever.

Admin charge normally not dutiable.  Can be quite expensive for some goods with high duty rates and then the vat on top of that.

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

Significant Other receives and sends parcels to her sister in Switzerland each year but for the first time this year Swiss Post withheld delivery to her until it been confirmed precisely what was in the package, despite SOs declaration on the customs slip. Having done that the package was delivered albeit a charge was made; her husband subsequently managed to get it refunded as the goods were under the equivalent of £100.

A few weeks later we received a slip from out postman saying there was a package at the sorting office from Switzerland that couldn’t be delivered until a customs fee had been paid. Knowing this to be our regular postie we had no concern about if it was a scam, paid the fee on-line and it was delivered. Had that slip just been pushed through with the Mail, rather than handed to me personally I’d have perhaps questioned the authenticity of it. Sadly no refund possible this end as it seems parcels from Switzerland to UK are limited to £35 (as compared to £100 the other way)

Edited by BTandSid
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, @Lee said:

I wasn't talking about David 'hello, good evening and welcome' Frost.

Saw Richy Rishi was at the Southampton v Plymouth match.

TV commentor said to STN manager has Rishi popped down to see him ?

STN manager said he had no interest to see Rushi, said with quite obvious disdain. Good on him.

• Like 3

Our cordless stick vacuum...   Was working perfectly before we visited the MIL for Christmas.  Came back and it's totally flat and won't charge.

I suppose it is nine years old, a cheapo one and owes us nothing but it's still annoying as I keep going to try and use it...

Edited by skomaz

37 minutes ago, skomaz said:

it's still annoying as I keep going to try and use it...

Tie a black ribbon around it as a mark of respect for its long service - and to remind you that it's forked!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Our cordless stick vacuum...   Was working perfectly before we visited the MIL for Christmas.  Came back and it's totally flat and won't charge.

I suppose it is nine years old, a cheapo one and owes us nothing but it's still annoying as I keep going to try and use it...

Sounds like the battery has got so low in charge that the BMS will not allow it to charge it any longer, it is after all 9 years old. I suppose you have checked that it is not the charger unit itself that has crapped its pants with a capacitor or two defecating itself? 

4 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

crapped its pants with a capacitor or two defecating itself? 

Would that be what is called a "brown out"?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Sounds like the battery has got so low in charge that the BMS will not allow it to charge it any longer

Worth taking a look at aliexpress.com for replacement batteries ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

Saw a vid on YT the other day of a guy who jump started a dead cordless drill battery from a second battery. This gets a bit of charge into the dead battery so the charger can then take over & fully charge it. The problem is that the dead battery is so dead the charger cannot recognise it has a battery attached that needs charging. Jumping a bit of a charge into it from the 2nd battery for approx 15mins is all it takes. Do you have a 2nd battery for the Vac? If not then you are screwed.

At least the sales are on & you should be able to find some good deals. We have a Shark with two batteries that replaced a corded Dyson. Great little thing. 

Edited by Colin170CR
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Colin170CR said:

Saw a vid on YT the other day of a guy who jump started a dead cordless drill battery from a second battery. This gets a bit of charge into the dead battery so the charger can then take over & fully charge it. The problem is that the dead battery is so dead the charger cannot recognise it has a battery attached that needs charging. Jumping a bit of a charge into it from the 2nd battery for approx 15mins is all it takes. Do you have a 2nd battery for the Vac? If not then you are screwed.

At least the sales are on & you should be able to find some good deals. We have a Shark with two batteries that replaced a corded Dyson. Great little thing. 

doesnt even need to be the same battery, just one with equal or slightly bigger capacity. so even a battery drill pack would probably work.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2023 at 07:50, Mickvrs220 said:

Should be kevin sinfield getting a knighthood this year the guys amazing what he is doing .could be worse tho you could be on liz trusses list ,its pathetic and embarrasing 🤬

I saw Kevin Sinfield and Rob Burrows are both getting CBE's in the Kings honours :thumbup:

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/13039035/kevin-sinfield-and-rob-burrow-awarded-cbes-i-hope-we-can-go-to-the-palace-together

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Sounds like the battery has got so low in charge that the BMS will not allow it to charge it any longer, it is after all 9 years old. I suppose you have checked that it is not the charger unit itself that has crapped its pants with a capacitor or two defecating itself? 

Yep charger is fine at 27v.  Just had the cleaner apart too and your probably correct but the battery and BMS is all sealed in heat shrink plastic and I haven't the energy today to take it all apart to see if I can resurrect it.  The battery is a 22.2v 2150mah job (six 3.7v li-Ion cells) so I guess I might be able to get a replacement but SWMBO is angling for a new one as i think she's fed up of me repairing stuff. 🤣

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, MikeTheThinker said:

Worth taking a look at aliexpress.com for replacement batteries ...

Good thinking batman!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

4 hours ago, mac11irl said:

doesnt even need to be the same battery, just one with equal or slightly bigger capacity. so even a battery drill pack would probably work.

5 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

Ah...   Now you have the me thinking...   I have a variable voltage DC charger somewhere that might just do the job

3 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Ah...   Now you have the me thinking...   I have a variable voltage DC charger somewhere that might just do the job

Problem is however, if I remember properly, the power has to be injected after the BMS, which would involve having to open up the battery pack, which are normally ultrasonically welded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

Yep charger is fine at 27v.  Just had the cleaner apart too and your probably correct but the battery and BMS is all sealed in heat shrink plastic and I haven't the energy today to take it all apart to see if I can resurrect it.  The battery is a 22.2v 2150mah job (six 3.7v li-Ion cells) so I guess I might be able to get a replacement but SWMBO is angling for a new one as i think she's fed up of me repairing stuff. 🤣

Now we know why it packed up😏

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Ok I can finally confirm this seems to work (at least for drill batteries - I haven't tried it on the hoover yet as I need to dismantle it again).

Anyhow I have an 18v cordless drill with two batteries and one wouldn't charge today and was showing as dead.  Checked with my multimeter and it was at 4v.  So charged the working battery up and as they have 4 terminals, two of which are direct+ / - connections I was able to connect the good charged battery which was at about 20v to the dead one using some spare offcuts of mains cable whilst monitoring the voltage.  Within about 10 seconds or so the dead battery was showing about 18v and now seems to be happily charging.

Next stop the hoover...

Result.:party:

However, after posting the above battery charging solution my vac decided to go on strike as well.

Yesterday I went to use my older Shark battery vac I keep in the garage. Both batteries were fine but the vac was not. Turned it on & nothing. After 5 secs loads of flashing symbols on the thumb button. A quick read of the instructions & it says to clear blockages. I checked & there were no blockages. Started checking YT for vids of this problem. Nothing. Just a vid of a guy stripping down a similar Shark model. So, 26 screws later 😖I can't see anything or any obvious problem. Looks looks a PCB or motor problem so not worth any further work or cost. 

I binned it & then remembered I have a relatively new Worx battery powered shoulder carry Wet & Dry vac up I was using in the loft (extra insulation in progress). So I get this down & it has far more power & better filtration so it will now serve as as my mobile battery vac for the garage & cars.  

The only issue now is that I have two perfectly good Shark batteries & a charger that don't fit our other Shark vac that my wife uses in the house:wall:

• Sad 1

Driving 102 miles to Hook in Hampshire to look at a car for my neighbour, only to find a car that I don't think is presentable enough to even be on a garage forecourt :swear:

All four alloy wheels completely shagged.

Rust on the leading edge of the roof (C70 tin top cabby).  Bubbling rust, not just surface.

Rust on the A pillar.  Rust on the underside of the boot lid, and rusty water marks on the carpet.

Weird dents on both upper sills - like from loading sherman tank tracks into the rear seat bench.  All rusty.  Poor overspray on the NSR quarter panel.  Lacquer missing from the bootlid. Scratches and chunks out of the paint galore.

Ad says 'superb value' - £4295, 09 plate, 77k miles.  I wouldn't buy it.

Ad says 'unmarked interior' - only if you don't look at all the marks I found, including something dodgy spilled down the n/s door card, and not cleaned off, so still sitting in the speaker grills.

Ad says 'I guarantee the first sensible genuine buyer will definitely buy this example' - nope.

Why, just why 🙄

Here's a pic of the best of the alloys:

IMG_8571.thumb.jpeg.c7ee3d053b8c8d055bf7774ea8f31858.jpeg

204 miles and a six hour round trip.

And the garage has just text my neighbour to see if he wants to do a deal.  Sigh.

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
typo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Groan 2

19 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Result.:party:

However, after posting the above battery charging solution my vac decided to go on strike as well.

Yesterday I went to use my older Shark battery vac I keep in the garage. Both batteries were fine but the vac was not. Turned it on & nothing. After 5 secs loads of flashing symbols on the thumb button. A quick read of the instructions & it says to clear blockages. I checked & there were no blockages. Started checking YT for vids of this problem. Nothing. Just a vid of a guy stripping down a similar Shark model. So, 26 screws later 😖I can't see anything or any obvious problem. Looks looks a PCB or motor problem so not worth any further work or cost. 

I binned it & then remembered I have a relatively new Worx battery powered shoulder carry Wet & Dry vac up I was using in the loft (extra insulation in progress). So I get this down & it has far more power & better filtration so it will now serve as as my mobile battery vac for the garage & cars.  

The only issue now is that I have two perfectly good Shark batteries & a charger that don't fit our other Shark vac that my wife uses in the house:wall:

Are the batteries completely different?  I've found my spear and Jackson cordless hedge trimmer battery will fit my Titan drill if a small tab is cut off and likewise the other way round.

Edited by skomaz

16 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

I have two perfectly good Shark batteries & a charger

Fleabay :)