Has anyone fitted H7 LED

I'm sure someone posted up that they had fitted LED to their main beams and the results were quite impressive (surprisingly)

The thing is they aren't on for a great deal of time so the size of the heat sinks weren't that important.

The dipped beams are, and will need good heat sinks otherwise the will degrade in output quickly and fail prematurely.

The question is will a good, big heat sink fit inside the headlight?

The LED's will need more raw lumen output than a factory fit setup (and thus produce more heat) to compensate for the lack of focus from the reflector.

Interesting to see the results though if you do it :-)

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/12/2017 at 11:38, skippy41 said:

I have bought a set from amazon, with built in fans and allegedly can bus friendly, will try them and see if they work

Hi, just wondering how you got off with this? And if you'd recommend the type you bought, I'm looking for some.

Thanks

1 hour ago, owilliams1 said:

Hi, just wondering how you got off with this? And if you'd recommend the type you bought, I'm looking for some.

Thanks

Philips do a H7 LED which is going to be far better than any of the cheaper unbranded Chinese stuff. They also have a fan + heatsink on the back of the bulb to cool it.

If you're gonna do it, I'd say go for these:

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-x-treme-ultinon-led-headlamp-h7

Good video here too showing halogen Vs Philips LED in a Kia Sportage Projector lens. Basically the centre spot is better and brighter with halogen, but the LED has a wider spread of light. Result may differ in a reflector unit.

Edited by ahenners

10 minutes ago, Defenderben said:

Even those at £174.00 are not approved for use on a public highway :(

No replacement LED bulb will be for a halogen fitment and will never be fully legal. Same for Xenon HID. It's because the lamp unit itself is type approved for halogen bulbs only.

Edited by ahenners

Thaks for the info. Sums up my research really, good to know.ive seen the Phillips ones, I think you get what you pay for by the looks of it.

Mine will be for a superb with projector headlights which currently have halogens. So results maybe better.  But thought worth asking the question about the Amazon bulbs.

Thanks.

Oliver 

2 hours ago, owilliams1 said:

Thaks for the info. Sums up my research really, good to know.ive seen the Phillips ones, I think you get what you pay for by the looks of it.

Mine will be for a superb with projector headlights which currently have halogens. So results maybe better.  But thought worth asking the question about the Amazon bulbs.

Thanks.

Oliver 

Results almost definitely will be better in a projector rather than a reflector unit. Still won't be as good as a proper LED OEM unit, but at least the projector should retain a decent beam pattern with a sharp cut off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2017 at 11:38, skippy41 said:

I have bought a set from amazon, with built in fans and allegedly can bus friendly, will try them and see if they work

How did you get off with the bulbs? Any good? Results?

Thanks

Oliver 

• 1 year later...

has anyone got any photo comparing halogen bulbs to philips ultinon extreme led bulbs ??????????????

also..

1. need vcds coding?

2. need philips canbus adapter?

3. needs nothing..?

Edited by haris

I did look into this but one article I read did a thorough comparison, even on the top end LED bulbs (comparing beam spread and throw on a wall) and the end result was while the LED bulbs are brighter they had hotspots in some areas and dull spots in others.

The recommendation was to use a higher quality Halogen bulb and I left the idea there.

Edited by ScoutCJB

Just use vcds or obd11 to raise voltage of halogens. Factory is around 11.8V. Raised is around 13.5 volt. Result is proper beam patern but brighter. But do expect shorter bulb life. Manufacturers of bulbs declare bulb life at voltage 13.6V.

59 minutes ago, krigl said:

Just use vcds or obd11 to raise voltage of halogens. Factory is around 11.8V. Raised is around 13.5 volt. Result is proper beam patern but brighter. But do expect shorter bulb life. Manufacturers of bulbs declare bulb life at voltage 13.6V.

Got detail on how exactly to do that on an Octavia III with Halogens?

My understanding is that this doesn't raise the voltage, beyond what was already set at 100. For halogen bulb types I don't think you can go brighter than 100, so whilst you can set 127 it should make zero difference to the brightness, however reducing the value (e.g 50) may reduce the voltage to make the bulb dimmer.

For LED bulb types it's more than just voltage since LED brightness is regulated by PWM.

You mentioned some before and after voltages, were these readings taken yourself with a multimeter?

Edited by ahenners

Just take the bulb out of light unit and put a multimeter to it. Take a measurement.

Change the value to 127 and take the measurement again. 

Simple as that. 

Relatively cheap multimeter measurement wil give you a average voltage of PWM signal on the first try of about 75% duty cicle so around 12V, and 100% duty cycle of PWM and 13.5V after measurement. 

This way with using PWM on halogens, VW is simply extending the life of original bulbs and giving us crap lights also. Yipeee VW... No waranty bulb replacements for VW, or very little. 

• Like 1

i heard that both hids and leds maybe be a problem for car's electricity. i 've read problems about   radio parasites, about ecu, about burnt marks inside the headlight .

can we teel us these people who installed h7  led if any problems occured?

On 02/02/2019 at 00:20, krigl said:

Just take the bulb out of light unit and put a multimeter to it. Take a measurement.

Change the value to 127 and take the measurement again. 

Simple as that. 

Relatively cheap multimeter measurement wil give you a average voltage of PWM signal on the first try of about 75% duty cicle so around 12V, and 100% duty cycle of PWM and 13.5V after measurement. 

This way with using PWM on halogens, VW is simply extending the life of original bulbs and giving us crap lights also. Yipeee VW... No waranty bulb replacements for VW, or very little. 

You’ve got to leave the bulb in to measure the Voltage.

So, attempted this adaptation today and can do AB6 and AB7. The others won't stick. Do you have to do them in stages? Didn't have time to try anything other than change the values one at a time.

I did them all separate sessions, so change and apply for each one.
I did them in dark so I clearly saw a step up in brightness in each one.

Mind you, that my obd11 descriptions were in german still at the time. Verify that you are setting the right ones.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I have an octavia 5e and intending to do the same as the halogens low beam are pretty weak. Can anyone confirm that this change does increase the visibility? 

regards,

did the change and don't know yet if placebo or not but after engine reignition lights seemed better. Need to drive thru more to really see if it is for real. Only applied these

Adaptation
    Control unit: 09 Central Electrics
    Name: Leuchte13NL RB5
    Values: 
        Dimmwert AB 13: 
            Old value: 100
            New value: 127
    Mileage: 28110 km
    Date: 2021-08-03 22:10

---------------------------------------------------------------
Adaptation
    Control unit: 09 Central Electrics