Sasha’s Octavia vRS

I got mine on eBay, don’t know if they are on Amazon. Search gas strut 55 and see what comes up. Camera came from eBay but can’t recommend the seller as it was wrong the first time and has taken 7 weeks to sort the issue. I don’t even know if this one is gunna be an NTSC camera yet! There are plenty of them around on eBay/AliExpress and I imagine they are all the same product. I’ll leave some links once I’ve got it working :)

Nice one on the wing mirrors, assume there no way of telling what door controllers you have without taking the door card off or can I assume that as I don’t have folding mirrors currently I will need controllers too? 

The blinking indicators look good too, much work involved in these?

Edited by Liam0205
  • Like 1

You’ll need a coding tool to get them going so you’ll be able to check the part numbers on that. I did and I still read mine wrong!!! There’s a good chance you’ll need door controllers to match the mirrors though. The swipy indicators I cannot wait for and they are plug and play, I’ll be dismantling the mirrors soon to fit the new LED modules for the puddle lights when they arrive so I’ll get a better feel for how they are held in. Apparently they are due on Boxing Day which I highly doubt but my experience of AliExpress is that they are conservative about shipping times. I guess they will be here in around 2 weeks or early in the new year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyType2 said:

indicators with sweep in the door mirrors?

got a link? :cool:

I found them on Aliexpress quite easily, just type in Octavia wing mirror lights and it should come up, around £50

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyType2 said:

indicators with sweep in the door mirrors?

got a link? :cool:

As above, I got them here
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cDA5lBzrbut you could also get them on eBay for a variety of prices using the same list of images so I just went with the cheapest :)

clever! i wonder can the speed be adjusted with resistors. i have the full length ones but im not brave enough to break out the headlamp. they can be cut to size and look just like these (the white inner portion)

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Finally!!! The sub £20 reverse camera install is complete. Shout out to my Dad who did the cable routing through the passenger side of the car for me today because he felt sorry for me with my broken thumb, all these mods, but only 9 working digits to do them with. This is quite an easy install and something that all UK spec cars at least are capable of running. You need a Bolero with BT or above (MIB1 or 2, doesn’t matter), some of these to connect the video feed to the radio quadlock after you’ve chopped the RCA plug end off https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F171641862721 and a camera which is NTSC, not a PAL one! That detail has held me up by 7 weeks on this install. If your car is Pre MY16, it should be a 92x35mm boot handle like mine so you’ll need a camera like mine if you don’t want to cut. It’s bigger than I wanted, but on my dark coloured car it’s still neat. I’ll link some cameras below. Pretty sure MY16 onward is 112x48mm so I’ll link one of them in too. Coding is simple, just 5F Infotainment > Long Coding > Byte 19 Enable Bit 4. I also found in 76 Park Pilot > Long Coding there is a setting to add a lowline reverse camera which I did and as you can see it all works really well :happy: The parking sensor display is usually on the left of the screen, and it all works like an OEM camera, except the camera I’ve ended up with (not the test camera from my Dad’s car) has no lines, but I don’t mind. I tapped into the rear wiper motor to power the camera, which is much easier than trying to power it from the rear lights. I’m very impressed with it so far. Here is a link to the type of camera I have https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bGNgICLB And here is a link to an MY16 sized camera :) https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/sPzYJSt 

9F1A8582-4993-4D4D-BDC0-B059A9F41DB1.thumb.jpeg.d517a727f3d381b26763153a7db8db9a.jpeg

E8F93217-2D57-4A7C-9D68-9E199698CC68.thumb.jpeg.8253bb94f1957ac49429a29c30888985.jpeg

DBF7C948-6090-4FE8-A069-9CFF9800CA9E.thumb.jpeg.81a192a711646c213e547a008bff76f0.jpeg

Just noticed that the Peugeot shown on the screen shows the number plate reversed.  Is that just a quirk of the camera you've fitted or will it also show reversed on a factory fitted camera ?

• Like 3

That’s how it would be, and exactly the view you would have in the rear view mirror. It just sees what’s behind the car, doesn’t flip it over. So an Ambulance with Ambulance written in the backward writing would be shown correctly etc.

1 minute ago, SashaGrace said:

That’s how it would be, and exactly the view you would have in the rear view mirror. It just sees what’s behind the car, doesn’t flip it over. So an Ambulance with Ambulance written in the backward writing would be shown correctly etc.

Just wondered.  Thanks for that :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Nice

Couple of quick questions, you say the parking sensor display is usually on the left hand side, does it not appear on this set up then as it’s missing from the pic you posted? 

Also, I thought the point of connecting the power to the reverse light was so when you out the car in reverse, a signal is sent to the head unit to activate the camera. How does it know it’s in reverse?

sorry I’m a bit of a novice with these things 

• Like 1

It is usually there, I just pressed the button to close it. If you move your hand toward the screen you can get it back again. Because of the radio coding, the car uses the rear parking sensors to tell when it’s in reverse. A great system :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

It is usually there, I just pressed the button to close it. If you move your hand toward the screen you can get it back again. Because of the radio coding, the car uses the rear parking sensors to tell when it’s in reverse. A great system :)

The Car knowing it is in reverse has nothing to do with Rear Parking Sensors. Direct from the Gear Selector.

• Like 1

Yes it does, mine was a poor explanation, my point is that it relies on the sensors working to switch the camera on. I know this because I had to fix the damn sensors before the camera would come on. No sensors equals no camera on this car. There must be a way around that for cars that don’t have parking sensors, but that was how the cookie crumbled on this car.

Hey Sasha,

Did ye run the wires from the camera under the headliner of the roof  and down a pillar at the front of the car or down the pillar at the back and under the floor carpet ? 

• Like 1

So, I was about to look at fitting the gas struts I picked up a little while ago - I'd been waiting for the socket I required to remove all of the screws.

Anyway, popped the hood and I found these two pieces of foam under the bonnet

These are going to be in the way of the struts. They do just appear to be stuck down and there is no indication they are covering anything.

So, firstly, any idea why these have materialised on later models?

Any suggestion what they might be doing and reasons for me to leave well alone and not bother with the gas struts? :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1