Sasha’s Octavia vRS

1 hour ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Uh, could I tempt you to do another thing? :speechless:

Screenshot_20181218-153544.thumb.png.fa153a6f4765185d737c63b7281f6bdc.png

Haha, not at that price!!! I’m happy enough with my dirty diesel tbh, even though it grumbles and is kind of, well, diesely haha

22 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

If it fails to arrive ontime I hear Liam Neeson is excellent negotiating with Latvians. All 3 movies were great intertainment.:notme:

I love Liam Neeson :) Will deffo have to ring him if I have a problem!

Interesting. Not something I'd touch with a barge pole at the moment given our car is only a year old but would be curious once it gets a bit older. FL Amundsen here but given I use CarPlay for nav the lack of maps wouldn't bother me. 

On 17/12/2018 at 10:14, SashaGrace said:

That would be awesome to know! Part of me really wants to retrofit the torch but it’ll be more trouble than it’s worth.

TBH I've never used it as a torch, I'd reach for my phone before i'd even remember it's there. But as it is there the off-white light shining back annoys me. 

It's the thread that keeps on giving, good work :)

Edited by uchuff
  • Like 1

FL Amundsen should have a fibre connection for the map anyway so you’d be good. This has got to be the last of the big tech mods to do tbh. I had some lean months in the summer with mods so I’m going to slow down now. Really not much more I can realistically do to it haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

FL Amundsen should have a fibre connection for the map anyway so you’d be good. This has got to be the last of the big tech mods to do tbh. I had some lean months in the summer with mods so I’m going to slow down now. Really not much more I can realistically do to it haha

you'll get it just right then sell it! always happens to me. :)

nice purchase though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Have you got a Skoda umbrella under the front passenger seat?:tongueout:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

you'll get it just right then sell it! always happens to me. :)

nice purchase though.

Haha probably but I’ll try and be good lol

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

No, I like it that way though. Got on under the seat in the Citigo, but I keep shopping bags under the seat in the Octy and the big brolly in the boot. I might try and get an umbrella for under the drivers seat. Maybe :)

3 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

FL rearview mirror retrofit! :o

Actually no idea if it would fit, and they are a bit style over substance.

Edited by uchuff
  • Like 1

Tbh I don’t see the need if you have the large A5 camera. I looks neat with the small camera but I dunno. I had it overnight a while back on the 67 plate FL I had a courtesy car and I wasn’t sure how I felt about it. Looks nice in the pics :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Uh, so I did a thing :biggrin:

940D1C1A-F438-404A-A491-5A0EF87FD390.thumb.jpeg.320830b56c13b64b0c903b0e87958544.jpeg

Whoah... this is awesome! Ramping it up a notch or two with the retrofits now! Looking forward to the updates and keeping my fingers crossed it arrives soon :)

• Like 1

Haha, I try. This is probably gunna be the biggy as far as the tech is going. Like I say, to get the full functionality of the cluster with the map display, ambient lights and key personalisation I’ll need to do the radio again and get FL BCM and CAN Gateway. For now though, just having the cluster is going to be a laugh. Will be weird to see these virtual dials go over to 100k miles! I think I’ll stick my neck out and say I’ll be the first Octy owner to hit 100k on virtual clocks :rofl: Getting a bit excited now :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

So that's where it belongs, I got one in my FL 2017 SE L Estate, it's currently residing in the right boot cubby with my first aid kit. I'll have to have a look under the passenger seat to see how/where it fits. :thumbup:

• Like 2

On 09/12/2018 at 16:53, SashaGrace said:

Finally!!! The sub £20 reverse camera install is complete. Shout out to my Dad who did the cable routing through the passenger side of the car for me today because he felt sorry for me with my broken thumb, all these mods, but only 9 working digits to do them with. This is quite an easy install and something that all UK spec cars at least are capable of running. You need a Bolero with BT or above (MIB1 or 2, doesn’t matter), some of these to connect the video feed to the radio quadlock after you’ve chopped the RCA plug end off https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F171641862721 and a camera which is NTSC, not a PAL one! That detail has held me up by 7 weeks on this install. If your car is Pre MY16, it should be a 92x35mm boot handle like mine so you’ll need a camera like mine if you don’t want to cut. It’s bigger than I wanted, but on my dark coloured car it’s still neat. I’ll link some cameras below. Pretty sure MY16 onward is 112x48mm so I’ll link one of them in too. Coding is simple, just 5F Infotainment > Long Coding > Byte 19 Enable Bit 4. I also found in 76 Park Pilot > Long Coding there is a setting to add a lowline reverse camera which I did and as you can see it all works really well :happy: The parking sensor display is usually on the left of the screen, and it all works like an OEM camera, except the camera I’ve ended up with (not the test camera from my Dad’s car) has no lines, but I don’t mind. I tapped into the rear wiper motor to power the camera, which is much easier than trying to power it from the rear lights. I’m very impressed with it so far. Here is a link to the type of camera I have https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bGNgICLB And here is a link to an MY16 sized camera :) https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/sPzYJSt

Thanks for the links, I'm going to give this a go. How do you actually wire to the main unit, are there any instructions around?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wg100 said:

@SashaGrace, Do you know what size pins would be required to plug into the quad lock connector for the CAN Hi/Lo wires on the reversing camera loom?

They are 20 AWG, the link is in the post detailing the camera retrofit.

2 hours ago, Dave77 said:

Thanks for the links, I'm going to give this a go. How do you actually wire to the main unit, are there any instructions around?

For the radio end? See this thread from post 23 onward 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ahenners said:

Dynamic indicators in the mirrors look great! Damn it @SashaGrace Think I need some now :D

Haha, go for it but the AliExpress seller I got these from for £49 have upped the price to £69 so head to eBay, they are still £56.

2 hours ago, wg100 said:

Now, if you can get some dynamic rear indicators, I’d definitely be interested!

That’d be cool, but unlikely due to the shape of the rear clusters.

1 hour ago, Madmax889 said:

@SashaGrace how easy is it to install the puddle lights? I don’t have that feature on mine so is it a pig to fit/wire? 

It can be done, however it’ll be a homemade wiring loom to the door interior lights if you don’t upgrade the door controllers to highline ones. Activating puddle lights on the midline door controllers doesn’t achieve anything sadly. I don’t know how to rig them up unfortunately as I got them as a free upgrade with my folding mirrors :)

Christmas has come early in my house, my virtual cockpit arrived today and I finally sorted that pesky Wizard plate. Decided to leave the Sasha plate on the Mercedes for now and put my initials one on this. Gotta get some new plates made up.

780F220D-4522-4D3E-B31E-9A1205456363.thumb.jpeg.5c5867fa6129f71cb6ceb0e5c32b621f.jpeg

71C04B54-808C-4304-8C4E-3BF0DA4862C2.thumb.jpeg.64e7c30485a15e0f8bb04d5d48f0d990.jpeg

• Like 2

@SashaGracethat part seems to have come quick! Hope it all fits in smoothly, should be a good result. I got one today too but it was already in the car when I picked it up! Im trying to decide if I want sweeping mirror indicators while Im changing the puddle lights :wondering:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ExSEAT said:

@SashaGracethat part seems to have come quick! Hope it all fits in smoothly, should be a good result. I got one today too but it was already in the car when I picked it up! Im trying to decide if I want sweeping mirror indicators while Im changing the puddle lights :wondering:

Made that call for you to Liam Neeson to put some pressure on the Latvian so he would deliver your VC before Xmas. Seems to have worked because he promised appropriate steps would have been TAKEN (see no.1,2 or 3).:party:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Made that call for you to Liam Neeson to put some pressure on the Latvian so he would deliver your VC before Xmas. Seems to have worked because he promised appropriate steps would have been TAKEN (see no.1,2 or 3).:party:

iLPesoB_d.jpg

• Like 1