Full Size Spare Wheel

?

So can a full size alloy with a 19" tyre matching the 4 the car has fit in the spare tyre well,

so that someone might be able to continue a journey even slightly slowing down if no repair or replacement 19" tyre is available because of where or when a puncture happens, so within limping distance with a 280ps car, 

rather than putting on an Emergency Use pretty rubbish 'nearly the same circumference narrower / different compound spare tyre / wheel.

Edited by e-Roottoot

7 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

So can a full size alloy with a 19" tyre matching the 4 the car has fit in the spare tyre well

Yes. 

I have a MY19 Sportline hatch with the original 19" vega alloys and 235/40R19 tyres. I found a same sized Skoda alloy rim (not a vega) and tyre from a wrecker which I bought for A$150 to replace the space saver. I had this balanced and it fits tightly in the wheel well although it sat about 25mm higher, I used a long blade to trim the bottom and sides of the polystyrene jack/tool holder to fit within the rim and got some 10mm carpet underlay offcuts free from a local carpet shop. Trimmed and fitted 3 layers of the underlay to level up the boot floor and I'm happy with it. You could trim the plastic lip to ease the fitting but I didn't and It doesn't bother me that the spare looks different to the vega, I hope not to use it often.

• Love it! 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JR RS said:

So u mean - after modifications, yes it will fit. 🙂

The modifications were secondary probably not essential, the first element was can a full size spare fit in the tyre well

IIRC the spare isn't available as an option on the 2080 because it has bigger discs so the 16" wheel won't go on.  

You may get away with a 17" or 18" steel wheel (that will go over the discs, with a narrow tyre that will fit the well without raising the boot floor if (1) you are happy to treat it as a space saver when fitted, and (2) you have somewhere to put the full size wheel if you ever use the space saver. 

We had 2 Audi A2s which had expanding spares, the first came with a large Audi branded white plastic bag to put the full size wheel into as it would not fit in the boot.

Corrected, so the 280s get the space saver, the rest can have the smaller steel wheel with a real tyre.

Note the speed rating.  Took a while to find a table that goes down to M but max rated speed 81 mph and classification used for temporary spares.

I should add, the space saver was / is a cost option, coming with the polystyrene boot liner, Jack, wheel brace etc, so don’t expect this to be included as standard; I was lucky that Prykey ordered this, along with the other long list of options he added. Still find it ridiculous that cost saving extends to what should be a compulsory item in any vehicle. I’d like to see the U.K. stats on the number of punctures the compressed air and gunk systems actually fix.

Edited by numskull

• 6 months later...

Really a 'space saver" spare wheel, since diameter is still lower than normal "full size wheel"

Space saver profile is 70 on 18" against 40 on 19" for the normal full size wheel, I assume that Skoda have this within the acceptable tolerance 

4 minutes ago, Onetoothcracker said:

profile is 70 on 18" against 40

this, second in tire parameters, number isn't height value,

that is percentage value from tire width, first number

Since this thread popped up again I’ve been thinking about doing something with the space saver on my 280 as I slightly scraped one of my 19” Vega’s on a kerb after a hard 12 hour night shift a while back. :sadsmile:

the damage is fairly minor and I’m sure could be repaired but as I’m due a full set of tyres imminently (3-4mm left all corners) I was thinking of getting a replacement Vega and transferring the damaged one with it’s still legal tyre (Bridgestone potenza non directional) to the spare and replacing the tyre on it at a later date. I know it will involve raising the boot floor slightly and that’s fine.

So, on to part numbers - I’ve found two and wondered if anyone can tell me which is the cheaper but identical variant before I approach the dealer?

Part numbers are 3V0 601 025 AP HA7 & 3V0 071 499 G HA7

Google searching finds the first one available U.K. for £272.60 (https://www.theskodashop.co.uk/collections/skoda-wheels/products/skoda-alloy-wheel-vega-19)

while the other only comes up abroad but that one does list both part numbers on the details (https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/3v0601025apha7-aluminium-disc-19-vega-skoda-35856.html)

Any advice which should be cheapest appreciated! I will probably contact my local dealer Friday morning anyway but it would be good to have as much info as possible to avoid being fleeced....

21 hours ago, SkudMissile21 said:

Since this thread popped up again I’ve been thinking about doing something with the space saver on my 280 as I slightly scraped one of my 19” Vega’s on a kerb after a hard 12 hour night shift a while back. :sadsmile:

the damage is fairly minor and I’m sure could be repaired but as I’m due a full set of tyres imminently (3-4mm left all corners) I was thinking of getting a replacement Vega and transferring the damaged one with it’s still legal tyre (Bridgestone potenza non directional) to the spare and replacing the tyre on it at a later date. I know it will involve raising the boot floor slightly and that’s fine.

So, on to part numbers - I’ve found two and wondered if anyone can tell me which is the cheaper but identical variant before I approach the dealer?

Part numbers are 3V0 601 025 AP HA7 & 3V0 071 499 G HA7

Google searching finds the first one available U.K. for £272.60 (https://www.theskodashop.co.uk/collections/skoda-wheels/products/skoda-alloy-wheel-vega-19)

while the other only comes up abroad but that one does list both part numbers on the details (https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/3v0601025apha7-aluminium-disc-19-vega-skoda-35856.html)

Any advice which should be cheapest appreciated! I will probably contact my local dealer Friday morning anyway but it would be good to have as much info as possible to avoid being fleeced....

I used Horton Skoda (skodashop.co.uk) for a new wheel some time ago, they were very efficient and much cheaper than my local Skoda dealer.

Shipping charges will be greater from abroad too with lengthier delivery times.

Well I’ve ordered a set of 4 Michelin pilot sport 4 which will be available in a couple of weeks (not needed desperately) so now I just have the dilemma of whether to blow another £280 ish on a new vega and re-use the best of the old tyres on the damaged alloy as a full size spare or just get the tyre place to let me have back the best old one for later use and maybe do it further down the line. I did catch the damaged one again very slightly leaving work the other day so I’m now caught between wanting to replace it more and not tempting fate to damage a new one the same way..... :sweat:

• 2 years later...
On 08/08/2020 at 10:59, Onetoothcracker said:

Yes. 

I have a MY19 Sportline hatch with the original 19" vega alloys and 235/40R19 tyres. I found a same sized Skoda alloy rim (not a vega) and tyre from a wrecker which I bought for A$150 to replace the space saver. I had this balanced and it fits tightly in the wheel well although it sat about 25mm higher, I used a long blade to trim the bottom and sides of the polystyrene jack/tool holder to fit within the rim and got some 10mm carpet underlay offcuts free from a local carpet shop. Trimmed and fitted 3 layers of the underlay to level up the boot floor and I'm happy with it. You could trim the plastic lip to ease the fitting but I didn't and It doesn't bother me that the spare looks different to the vega, I hope not to use it often.

Hi. I'm in Melbourne and recently picked up MY21 superb wagon. I'd like to fit a full sized spare in the boot as well. do you have any pictures of how yours fitted at all?