Buying a high mileage DSG 170bhp

Hi all, as the title would suggest, I’m looking at buying a high mileage Superb to use as my family car and commuting machine. The car I’m looking at has covered 214k and has been owned since new by two generations of family members.

as I’m going to look at the car in a few days so we’ll needed advice and things to look for when test driving would be great. 

The price ice is low for a 2010 top of the range Superb at £3500 and so far the owner has been knowledgable about service history. The DSG has had a replacement flywheel about 50k ago and the oil was changed about 10k ago. As far as other things, it’s had a new turbo again about 50k ago and the egr valve has been replaced. 

Is is there any other areas I need to ask about? The pictures I’ve seen of the car show it to be in very good condition for its age and mileage. 

With regards to driving it for for the first time, is there any tail tail noises, jerks etc that are worth mentioning, also any other items to play close attention to for signs of manfunction or imminent failure.

Thank you again in advance for any information or tips anybody can give me on my prospective purchase. 

The very best of regards.

Scott.

Check the history on the DSG: fluid changes are required every 40000 miles.

Check if the timing belt has been done: it should have had at least one by now.

It would be worth asking why the turbo was replaced.

On the test drive, expect the DSG to be a little bit jerky when cold but it should be nice and smooth once warmed up. Listen for clunks and rattles from the suspension: at that mileage a lot of stuff down there will be worn if it's original.

The usual checks on electrical and electronic equipment apply: windows, Columbus unit (if fitted [check all functions]), bluetooth module, climate control, headlights (when turned on they should do a little dance: drop down, swing out to the side and back, then back up [check the colour of the light too: it should be white]), park assist system (front and rear parking sensors), interior lighting: every footwell has a light in it, there are two moonlight LEDs in the front light panel that come on at night, boot lights.

Hi Chimaera, thank you very much for that very useful information, that will be of great help.

Phoned the chap today, as I’ve booked train tickets, the car has been used as an airport transfer by his uncle, small business with only two cars, both Superbs and they just bought two new ones so that’s the reason for sale.

I’ve asked the question about the turbo, so I shall wait for the reply on that. All I can say is he seems genuine and at that price for a Skoda Superb Elegance DSG, I’m happy with that.

thank you again for your help, I will update you on Tuesday when I got to look at the car.

regards.

Scott.

5A1B37E9-EC07-4FE2-BC71-B5911431A1A7.png

1B23F45B-FBB5-4212-ADD5-807E24B37F12.png

They are certainly not std Škoda wheels (so for insurance purposes are a modification) they look smaller than the OE 18” wheels too.

On a car with that sort of mileage I would want to scan the car with VCDS to see if there are any issues... mainly with the DSG as that is where the BIG bills will come from.

Hi Gizmo, 

thank you for your reply. I did raise the question of the wheels, I totally forgot to mention it in my first post (sorry), the owner has the original 5 alloys complete with brand new tyres, I’ve asked for those to be put back on which he is happy to do.

As a random question, does it have to be a certain software number for VCDS, I’ve got an older version form when I had my A5, would that still do the same job? I’ve read about issues with the Columbus head unit, is there certain things to check? Sorry for all the questions, I’m making sure it’s worth the trip from Somerset to Darlington as once I’m in the train I’m kind of committed.

Yet another question, what sort of MPG should I be looking at from a 170bhp DSG? I’m used to 37ish from my A5, hence the change for a more economical commuter car. I’m an engineer by trade so I do drive with mechanical sympathy and as such never had a difficult time in getting either close to or what a manufacture has stated. 

Regards.

Scott

Providing the VCDS software is newer than the car (so software beginning with 11.*.* should be fine), if it’s genuine then update it as the updates are free.

All you can do with the Columbus is make sure it works and doesn’t freeze.

I used to get low 50’s out of my 170 manual.

Hi Outrunner,

thank yoy for your message.

i don’t have the Vin number to check, it’s got a totally full service history from Simpson’s Skoda.

what does the software fix do? Or not do by the way you said it.

Regards Scott.

41 minutes ago, Scottandbobbie said:

what does the software fix do? Or not do by the way you said it.

Outrunner is referring to the VAG emissions cheating scandal that affected all EA189  diesel engined cars. The "fix" is the software patch that VAG would apply to your car so that it can meet the emissions standards it originally should have, had they not lied and cheated about their compliance. That is the stated intention of the fix anyways. 

To do this, one of the effects of the fix is to increase the use of the EGR. If you have a car that could have an already marginal EGR system (perhaps due to a lot of use or too many short, cold engined, journeys), then there would appear to be a risk of the fix putting it over the edge and forcing some expensive replacement and repairs. While VAG is giving various 2 year guarantees on the parts that could be affected, the car you are evaluating  wont be covered due to its mileage being over 160,000. (Rules are here: Diesel Software Fix - Trust Building Measures )

Because of the possible adverse effects on a high mileage diesel engine, many here would be concerned about the "fix" stressing the DPF/EGR/Injection system more than the 214,000 miles will have done already.  

Searching the board here and the internet will give you the information you need to make up your mind on this one. 

• Like 1

Thank you TheRobinK, much appreciated. I shall look into if the fix has been applied. 

I would it probably has, considering all of the servicing and repair work has been carried out at one Skoda garage, but I will check.

Wile7, Yes the price is good, the guy had it up for sale at £3990, but I suggested 3500 and not a penny more, I also hinted to how many people (very few) will be knocking down his front door to buy the car. He saw sense after an hour of thinking about it.

to be honest, if the service history wasn’t as comprehensive then I would’ve avoided it to.

all that’s left is to ask the questions that have been raised on this excellent forum and to wait for answers. Then Tuesday to view the car. I shall keep everyone posted. Thank you again, everyone for all the helpful tips and information that I didn’t have a clue about.

Regards Scott.

11 hours ago, kwmax said:

Don't want to change the thread .but can anybody advise Iif a vechile had the ea 189 then had stage 1 remap would egr valve operate more. or less?

Yes a decent re-mapper can overwrite the ‘fix’ that VAG offer, either back to pre ‘fix’ or better still with a remap.

11 hours ago, kwmax said:

Don't want to change the thread .but can anybody advise Iif a vechile had the ea 189 then had stage 1 remap would egr valve operate more. or less?

One of the changes made in the update is to increase EGR use under certain operating conditions. If your EGR is already clogged up (and on the road to failing) it is likely to fail after the update since the gunk will prevent it from opening wide enough.

A remap on top of the update may or may not change this, depending on the skill of the tuner. Some tuners are offering a rollback facility where the engine is reverted to an older map which does not have the update applied.

5 hours ago, chimaera said:

One of the changes made in the update is to increase EGR use under certain operating conditions. If your EGR is already clogged up (and on the road to failing) it is likely to fail after the update since the gunk will prevent it from opening wide enough.

A remap on top of the update may or may not change this, depending on the skill of the tuner. Some tuners are offering a rollback facility where the engine is reverted to an older map which does not have the update applied.

It depends on the type of remap that you get.

Some load a map developed for your engine type onto the car, in the case of Shark Performance the map they load is on the latest pre-fix software version, so if you get a Shark Performance remap the fix will be undone.

Others adapt the current map whilst the car is on the rolling road (eg. AMD Tuning), so if the car has had the fix, you will have the fix version remapped.  AMD were unable to tell me whether they undo any of the changes implemented by the fix.  On the basis that more power = more fuel = more soot this is potentially the worst case for stress on the EGR.

I will get our (EA189 fixed) Superb remapped later in the year when I renew my insurance with a different provider who will accept a remap.  I have yet to decide whether to have the Shark remap, or to do the Shark rewind then an AMD remap.

I have named these companies as they are the 2 I am considering to do mine, not any other reason.

3 minutes ago, HughGabriel said:

I will get our (EA189 fixed) Superb remapped later in the year when I renew my insurance with a different provider who will accept a remap.  I have yet to decide whether to have the Shark remap, or to do the Shark rewind then an AMD remap.

I have named these companies as they are the 2 I am considering to do mine, not any other reason.

Never had an AMD map so I cannot comment on them, I have however travelled to Mansfield (Shark HQ) with 3 cars... they are THAT good.

You could also use one of their local dealers in Sidcup or Rochester.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

Never had an AMD map so I cannot comment on them, I have however travelled to Mansfield (Shark HQ) with 3 cars... they are THAT good.

You could also use one of their local dealers in Sidcup or Rochester.

I have spoken to AWTuning their Sidcup dealer who was very helpful and knowledgable.  I'm only umming and aghhing because I have used AMD before and I prefer the concept of a vehicle specific remap on the rolling road, but they are more expensive to start with, and add on the rewind first and it is nearly double the cost.

Just now, HughGabriel said:

@Gizmo I just spotted you are also in Kent so was going to ask why go up to Mansfield, that answers it though!

Simply because Ben’s service went above and beyond what I expected on my 1st car I took there (170CR Superb) the following two were done on their special offers, the money saved paid for my fuel to go to and from Mansfield, I probably ended up with the exact same remap, however I do like to reward good customer service where I can.

For that reason alone I wouldn’t hesitate to go back up there again.

• Like 2

I’m hoping to get 40k out of it before anything major happens.

with a very comprehensive service history I feel that should be possible, also driving style is going to help. Give it time to warm up and not bounce it off the Rev limiter will help also.

will let you know how it get on and pictures of the new beast come Tuesday. 

Regards Scott.

Well it’s now mine! 300 mile drive home and the actual mpg was 53.2, at a steady 70 with cruise on, only thing to report the check engine light came in sadly, didn’t notice it at first, pulled away at a very small roundabout and it popped up. No loss of power or anything and that was after 275 motorway miles. Will get it checked tomorrow, can’t be anything serious otherwise it would’ve gone into limp mode I would assume?

thank you for all the comments and tips, the dsg was indeed a little jerky but smoothed our once up to temp, one drl bulb out and one footwell light out. Apart from that she’s all good, sat nav was perfect as was the Bluetooth with music streaming. 

Regards Scott

• Like 1